The Student Room Group

Summer Internship??

So I have just finished year 13 and I applied for an internship this summer. My ambitions are around medicine/genetics that sort of area, however the internship is for a biology technician for an agricultural research company.

I also wanted to spend this summer carefree, and I feel like im taking an internship too early as this was mainly supposed to be for uni students.

Would this opportunity be useful for my future or should I find something with fits my future ambitions more?
Reply 1
hello!
great job searching for work experience.
filling your CV with work experience will boost your opportunities generally speaking, If your more into research i would really recommend you searching for universities that are more into research such as swansea university ? keep getting different work experience in different medical field to find which field you feel suitable most and enjoy!
Original post by nonall
hello!
great job searching for work experience.
filling your CV with work experience will boost your opportunities generally speaking, If your more into research i would really recommend you searching for universities that are more into research such as swansea university ? keep getting different work experience in different medical field to find which field you feel suitable most and enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestion! However I need to make the decision quick about the internship at hand :/
Original post by PeaceMinusOne
So I have just finished year 13 and I applied for an internship this summer. My ambitions are around medicine/genetics that sort of area, however the internship is for a biology technician for an agricultural research company.

I also wanted to spend this summer carefree, and I feel like im taking an internship too early as this was mainly supposed to be for uni students.

Would this opportunity be useful for my future or should I find something with fits my future ambitions more?

Internships are always incredibly useful and will look great both when applying to unis and jobs.

Even if the area isn't exactly what you want to go into, you will definitely learn a lot (unless they're going to make you the coffee person) and make yourself more employable in the future. Plus, it's a great networking opportunity. You get to meet and make friends with actual professionals. You can squeeze them for any tips, advice etc. And networking can never hurt when looking for a job later on.

And of course you get to experience an actual work environment.

I think you made the right call getting the internship.
Reply 4
Original post by PeaceMinusOne

May i ask wht internship this is, i am interested in applying as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending