The Student Room Group

Will you miss uni when you're gone?

Poll

Will you miss uni after graduation

University: University of Essex
Course: Biomedical Science Integrated

Not sure if in right place, but anyway. I don't think I will. People say it's the best time of your life or you'll make life long friends, but I don't believe it. Here' s my story as to why I say that

First year I had to literally tell myself that it would get better and I did try with the whole social life here. If there was an event going on, I wanted to know about it and chances were I'd be there with some mates. Second year, same story. Only problem was, that I found out really quickly, campus is a ghost town on the weekend. Although second year was really good for social stuff. Third year on placement I tried too, I'd come down for social events held by friends etc.

But what about the societies you say? I joined a lot of societies (attended far less) and the problem there is a lot of their socials boiled down to alcohol and clubbing. Two things, I don't like alcohol and I'm not a fan of clubbing (tried it in first year and had my fill of it by the end of that year).

As for the lifelong friends thing? You mean the friends who don't contact you or reply when you contact them (To be fair, my uni friends could be genuinely busy given a lot of them graduated because they were on a 3 year course).

But you must have enjoyed your course I hear you say. Wrong again. This course feels like it's been a massive waste of my time. The stuff I've learnt since coming here has nothing to do with my course and I learnt in my own time. And I've learnt almost nothing degree related. At this point, just want to finish my dissertation and get out. It's literally holding me back from what I want to do (and is strangely also an enabler). I've always known two things, I don't want to work in a lab and I don't want to do research, but I gave biomed a shot. I finally realised, while on placement, a huge part of what was making me unhappy here. This course is completely against the original dream I had and have returned to. I felt a lot better when I changed course (in life, not in uni) to chase it

I have never wanted to be just another gear in the machine when I start working. I have always been creative, since that first drawing I doodled when I was 8, which grew into a character, which became two characters which then became a story. Right now I strictly speaking have four IPs under my name. One that a friend and I were writing and mutually decided to end after four years, one I recently picked up again, another which was just idle until I decided to join its universe with my other IP and therefore is being developed again and another, for reasons I won't go into, that I've terminated (it was stuck in development hell anyway). As for the story IPs currently in production, one is working towards being published (eBook format) later this year. Even in secondary school I managed to get a team of people working towards making a magazine that we were going to sell that we actually did start producing (we had a name, brand, were producing the artwork etc), but people stopped taking it seriously. And at uni did teach guitar briefly, but students hate spending money (and it also spawned a lot of imitators. Had a Facebook page which I think I eventually closed down). But right now though, I do have something that needs volume to be viable (it's already generated money on the very small scale that it's at) which I started beginning of uni, it's a long shot, but when it pays off it will be one half of the dream.

Point is, never been one to work for somebody else and seeing where biomed goes in placement, just sealed the coffin. I'll do anything in my power to not work i biomed. I guess that's a big part of why I won't miss this place. In fact, in the NSS survey where they asked for positives, I just said I got paid to be here, that's it.

So TLDR, Will you miss uni? Where do you go? What course?
(edited 9 years ago)
I loved uni I finished on 09 and still miss it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by New- Emperor
I loved uni I finished on 09 and still miss it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very long time ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep but i hang around here to help people
In most ways no.

But I'll miss my flatmates, that's for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will I miss uni? I voted yes because I will definitely miss living with my friend's, the course itself probably won't miss it. But I do dread uni ending purely because all of my friends will uproot and leave and it'll just be sad to be on my own again :frown:

Currently biomedical sciences at LJMU
Stress...living independently is the one
.....hate living with parents sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconuthead--
Stress...living independently is the one
.....hate living with parents sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my mum to pieces, but living with her can just drive me mad. I also lose all sense if independence and feel trapped when I go back home in the summer.
Totally.
Still got two years of my course left, and hopefully 3/4 years of post-grad left though.

Gutted though because my friends are going to graduate next year, so I'll have no friends for my fourth year. :frown:
Reply 9
Yep because you're just going to graduate and be thrusted in the real, adult world. I'm not ready for that.
Original post by tg0896
Yep because you're just going to graduate and be thrusted in the real, adult world. I'm not ready for that.

Get a sugar mama/rich husband plenty I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Totally.
Still got two years of my course left, and hopefully 3/4 years of post-grad left though.

Gutted though because my friends are going to graduate next year, so I'll have no friends for my fourth year. :frown:

In the exact same position :/ I'm really worried about fourth year. I don't do well on my own. :frown:
I'm still in first year so this may change but as it stands, yes I will.

This is the first time in my life I have done well, I sucked at school, dropped out of college and then spent seven years moving from one ****ty job to another.

Finally decided to kick myself in the arse and applied for a position on a Games Programming course and got in, I'm hitting top marks in everything I've done so far and it's exhilarating.

There are down sides, I don't really have a social life but that's more to do with me being somewhat more serious than the people I'm around, there are others who are like that but when it comes to teaming up for assignments and the like they have already sectioned off into their own groups.

I hope to go on to further study after Uni though that may not work out, I can't know at this point.

The thing that worries me about leaving is that what I hope to do isn't that common so it will mean tracking down a position, doable, or starting out on my own, also doable but scary as hell.
Original post by rayquaza17
Totally.

Same position. Most of my friends graduated 3rd year, the ones on a four year course like me I barely see, the ones doing Masters made other friends and the people in my year started a year after me so they have their own groups
Reply 14
Original post by coconuthead--
Get a sugar mama/rich husband plenty I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! I better start looking for one
Original post by tg0896
Haha! I better start looking for one

I know plenty and where i live in St.Albans there's loads of well off" if i put it rich people. Older men are always preying for younger attractive girls anyway!! :p:):smile:
Yes and no. It's been the best few years of my life definitely in terms of life experience and friends. However, I no longer enjoy my course, hate the fact I constantly need to do work and the fact that I just feel a bit too old for it now this is my fourth year. I'll miss the partying and being able to get away with pretty much anything. But I'm also ready for the next chapter!
Reply 17
When I eventually leave I'll have been there for 8 years. So it'll probably be a massive change moving on, I'll either miss is terribly or be really happy to finally escape. We'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LSD
When I eventually leave I'll have been there for 8 years. So it'll probably be a massive change moving on, I'll either miss is terribly or be really happy to finally escape. We'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You gonna miss it bra. 8 years. Thats marriage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending