The Student Room Group

Courses for Payroll, VAT Returns..

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on the AAT Level 2 + Bookkeeping Certificate and will be completing this by the end of May (July the latest). Currently, I manage accounts payable and accounts receivable at the place I work. However, we don't have a proper accounting system (for example, no sales/purchase ledger or a general ledger for that matter). However, we have a Bookkeeper who does all the bookkeeping, VAT Returns, Corporate Tax, Self-Assesments, and Payroll. During my last appraisal I raised a point to my employers that I am interested in furthering my knowledge and that as I study I would try to transition our accounts to something more formal. However, without anyone more knowledgeable than myself it would be difficult. So they have proposed that I look for courses, which they will fund, I could attend to learn what the current bookkeeper does so I can take over as they want someone in house - they would also give me a £2000 salary increase!

Currently, we use Free Agent, but at the start of the new tax year we will be starting with Xero. I have a few questions (apologies if they are basic, but I haven't worked in a proper accounts team before):

1) What is exactly bookkeeping when you use software like FA or Xero? Currently in FA, it is linked to our company bank account and any transactions that come through I explain by going through a drop down menu (expense, entertainment, Billl payment and so on), but there is no general ledger I post things to with the various ledgers with Db/Cr sides. I'll post bills under the Bills sections, but again no purchase ledger. Would the bookkeeper actually be using some other software/excel for the General Ledger? Or in reality, am I doing the bookkeeping every time I explain a transaction?

2) As I am only at AAT Level 2, is it realistic for me to take over the duties described above? Should I wait until I'm done Level 2/Bookkeeping Certificate?

3) Are there any courses I could attend which you guys would recommend for the topics given? Or simply any resources?

I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending