The Student Room Group

SOAS vs. Durham LLB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I was considering going to warwick but it's in the middle of no where.. I'm now going to Nottingham :ahee:

Yeah not for long, only like a month :redface: Yes it's very pretty in that sense, plus the mountains and wildlife are just :love:

Ahhh I see what you mean :tongue: Yeah NYC is a pretty good place though tbf :cool:

Nottingham was one of my offers as well, but I decided not to go haha. Due to my lack of knowledge of UK geography, everywhere not London and Manchester is the middle of nowhere :colondollar:

Whereabouts in Canada were you? Although you said mountains, so I'd say British Columbia or Alberta right?

NYC is nice as it's own thing really, but Toronto should stay Toronto :s-smilie:
Reply 41
I'm in my second year of Politics at a Canadian university right now as well. How would you compare the UK university experience to that in North America?
Reply 42
My courses are year long as well, but there are 2 exams for them; a midterm and final exam. There are no assignments or essays which contribute to your grade?

That is different, we usually don't have seminar based classes at the university I'm at.

We don't have a curve either, at least at the university I attend. What do you mean by blind?
Original post by akj.latif
Nottingham was one of my offers as well, but I decided not to go haha. Due to my lack of knowledge of UK geography, everywhere not London and Manchester is the middle of nowhere :colondollar:

Whereabouts in Canada were you? Although you said mountains, so I'd say British Columbia or Alberta right?

NYC is nice as it's own thing really, but Toronto should stay Toronto :s-smilie:

You missed out! Nottingham is sooo nice :3 Ahaha it shouldn't put you off applying to the university just because you've never heard of the location :tongue:

Well I stayed in Ontario first for a bit which was a lovely little town with lot's of stuff to do, then moved to Vancouver for a while then you guessed it, we went travelling up to BC! BC is so amazing :') Then we went to Victoria on Vancouver island which was just the prettiest place I've ever stayed in
Reply 44
You missed out! Nottingham is sooo nice :3 Ahaha it shouldn't put you off applying to the university just because you've never heard of the location :tongue:

Well I stayed in Ontario first for a bit which was a lovely little town with lot's of stuff to do, then moved to Vancouver for a while then you guessed it, we went travelling up to BC! BC is so amazing :') Then we went to Victoria on Vancouver island which was just the prettiest place I've ever stayed in

I applied for whatever looked appealing in league tables lol. The location was irrelevant. Where is Nottingham in relation to London lol? :colondollar:

Ooh where in Ontario? Ontario is mainly all small towns, including where I'm from. Cute places, and also another London is in Ontario. Which is the saddest place ever.

This is so funny, sorry :frown: But Vancouver is a city in BC haha. BC is the province. Vancouver Island is really pretty, for sure. Also VERY expensive to live in Vancouver as a whole. Most of the place is owned by foreign investors.
I applied for whatever looked appealing in league tables lol. The location was irrelevant. Where is Nottingham in relation to London lol? :colondollar:

Ooh where in Ontario? Ontario is mainly all small towns, including where I'm from. Cute places, and also another London is in Ontario. Which is the saddest place ever.

This is so funny, sorry :frown: But Vancouver is a city in BC haha. BC is the province. Vancouver Island is really pretty, for sure. Also VERY expensive to live in Vancouver as a whole. Most of the place is owned by foreign investors.

Yep I made that mistake applying first time and it didn't end well :laugh:

Very north :tongue: it's fairly close to Manchester actually :h:

Yeah it's nice, can't remember where abouts but it was near the bay? :curious:

Yeah sorry I do know that :tongue: I meant BC mountains up north as opposed to just BC, as Vancouver is way down south :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Yep I made that mistake applying first time and it didn't end well :laugh:

Very north :tongue: it's fairly close to Manchester actually :h:

Yeah it's nice, can't remember where abouts but it was near the bay? :curious:

Yeah sorry I do know that :tongue: I meant BC mountains up north as opposed to just BC, as Vancouver is way down south :rolleyes:

Haha, tell me about it. You all are very into league tables in the UK, it's a very big deal. ALSO, so. many. universities. There are so many to look at, it's crazy.

Oh you were closer to cottage country then, it's a really nice place to vacation in the summer. Really pretty up there for sure.

Haha, I'm glad, I was concerned for a second. I guess north like Kamloops area probably? Or even farther north? :rolleyes:
Haha, tell me about it. You all are very into league tables in the UK, it's a very big deal. ALSO, so. many. universities. There are so many to look at, it's crazy.

Oh you were closer to cottage country then, it's a really nice place to vacation in the summer. Really pretty up there for sure.

Haha, I'm glad, I was concerned for a second. I guess north like Kamloops area probably? Or even farther north? :rolleyes:

:laugh: Typical brits :tongue: Yeah it's a big deal but definitely only a guide.. lot's of other factors to consider :yep: Yeah compared to Canada there is a lot of choice :wink:

Yeah I literally have no idea what it was called but it was nice :h: So many traffic lights though! Have you not heard of roundabouts? :rolleyes:

Oh it was a lot more north, think we went to jasper park (even though it's in alberta) then went up to the northern rocky mountains :smile:
Reply 48
:laugh: Typical brits :tongue: Yeah it's a big deal but definitely only a guide.. lot's of other factors to consider :yep: Yeah compared to Canada there is a lot of choice :wink:

Yeah I literally have no idea what it was called but it was nice :h: So many traffic lights though! Have you not heard of roundabouts? :rolleyes:

Oh it was a lot more north, think we went to jasper park (even though it's in alberta) then went up to the northern rocky mountains :smile:

I'm sure that they are, but that's all I really have to rely on. Can't really fly up to England on the weekend to see what the universities are like. :rolleyes:

Where I live they have put up some roundabouts, but no one here knows how to use them. When I'm stopped by the one near my house, everyone is just standing because they don't know who's right of way it is lol. :colone:

Is this like..a British thing? Everyone who comes from the UK that I've known just goes bananas for the mountains and parks here :cool:
Reply 49
OP, I can back up what NYU2012 has said about there not being arrogant lawyers at Durham, if there are some they are certainly in the minority's and it can be seen that you get these types at other unis anyway. The college system seems to do really in integrating internationals too, so I really wouldn't let that out you off either.

Also to the people who keep saying going to SOAS will give you better connections, quite frankly they are wrong. Maybe LSE/UCL but you simply are not gonna be walking to lectures one day and suddenly get hired by a law firm. Durham has a very decent pulling power to employers far superior than that of SOAS.

In my mind the real choice you should be making is whether you want a city uni experience like London or a more campus, smaller Uni feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by iano101
OP, I can back up what NYU2012 has said about there not being arrogant lawyers at Durham, if there are some they are certainly in the minority's and it can be seen that you get these types at other unis anyway. The college system seems to do really in integrating internationals too, so I really wouldn't let that out you off either.

Also to the people who keep saying going to SOAS will give you better connections, quite frankly they are wrong. Maybe LSE/UCL but you simply are not gonna be walking to lectures one day and suddenly get hired by a law firm. Durham has a very decent pulling power to employers far superior than that of SOAS.

In my mind the real choice you should be making is whether you want a city uni experience like London or a more campus, smaller Uni feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much. Are you attending Durham as well? I think that more than experience, the graduate prospects are what matter most at this point. I don't really wish to leave the UK post-graduation, and I understand that of course the individual applicant matters as well but certain universities are recurring choices for certain firms.
Reply 51
Thank you very much. Are you attending Durham as well? I think that more than experience, the graduate prospects are what matter most at this point. I don't really wish to leave the UK post-graduation, and I understand that of course the individual applicant matters as well but certain universities are recurring choices for certain firms.

Yeah in currently a first year. If you don't wish to leave the UK post evacuation and your most important criteria is fraud ye prospects, I see no real reason why you wouldn't pick Durham over SOAS. It really is the better law school and will look better on a CV. Obviously this seems biased coming from someone who attends Durham, but the stats don't lie either. If you go on the top firms websites and look through their people, almost always they will have more people from Durham than SOAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by iano101
Yeah in currently a first year. If you don't wish to leave the UK post evacuation and your most important criteria is fraud ye prospects, I see no real reason why you wouldn't pick Durham over SOAS. It really is the better law school and will look better on a CV. Obviously this seems biased coming from someone who attends Durham, but the stats don't lie either. If you go on the top firms websites and look through their people, almost always they will have more people from Durham than SOAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough of an argument. If it wouldn't be too much of a bother, would you be able to perhaps let me know of your experience in first year in the LLB programme at Durham please? Like, what the modules were like and class size, whether there are practicals etc. I would sincerely appreciate it if you would have the time to do so. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Durham 100%

It would be nice to be in London but Durham is far superior to SOAS and your living costs would be a lot cheaper in Durham.

I have a friend at Duram and its such a nice place - I really enjoy visiting

do you know which campus you'd be on?
Reply 54
Original post by yt7777
Durham 100%

It would be nice to be in London but Durham is far superior to SOAS and your living costs would be a lot cheaper in Durham.

Law is only offered at Durham City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received an unconditional for both. Just having a really hard time deciding between the pros and cons. If you guys have an argument for either, I would really, really, really appreciate it to perhaps allow my brain to debate it further.

You see a lot more Durham grads at law firms than SOAS ones.
Reply 56
Original post by *Stefan*
Law is only offered at Durham City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I though so, I've been to queens as well and I think that is really nice
Reply 57
Original post by yt7777
Durham 100%

How much cheaper would you say? I think it's Durham City, I was assigned Collingwood for my college. I didn't really know about the collegiate stuff so I let them pick for me. From what I've heard, it's not the best college to be at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by yt7777
I though so, I've been to queens as well and I think that is really nice

Is it? I've not been there, but I've heard it sucks comparatively...
Reply 59
Original post by *Stefan*
Is it? I've not been there, but I've heard it sucks comparatively...

Really? I thought it was really nice, nice area, nice colleges and the campus was lovely and is right next to the river

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending