The Student Room Group

Buying a girl a drink at the bar: Trap or test?

Scroll to see replies

Why are you buying drinks for girls in clubs...?
Original post by Trill
Would you rather be asked your monthly income after taxes, at a club or bar? Think the principle of the asking for a drink test is less embarrassing.

Implying whether someone can afford to pay 3 pounds or so for a drink is a good measure of how much income they have? Or are you suggesting that it's all fine assuming you have more than 3 pounds in your bank, because like, you need to have some standards?
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't realise girls actually seriously asked guys to buy them drinks, I'd have thought it kind of cheeky and a little medieval tbh, expecting something just because of gender
On the occasions when I have been offered a drink and I'm interested in the guy I may have said yes, but I would always offer to buy him a drink too or say that we do shots or a round or something, which they tend to accept. I've never just walked off afterwards, fine nothing may come of the drink but I would think it insulting and incredibly rude to leave once you've got what you needed.

There have been times when drinks have been offered while I've had a boyfriend and I've always turned them down and let them know about him. Interestingly enough, most of those times the guys offering the drinks have still offered to buy the drink and have had a normal, friendly conversations despite knowing I'm in a relationship so there are some genuinely nice guys out there. I guess it's not all about 'making a move'
Honestly, if a guy I wasn't interested in talking to offered to buy me a drink I'd say no on that basis; if you're going to buy me a drink, then I feel inclined to talk to you. But I'm not going to lie, I don't often get offered drinks so I haven't been able to test this method much XD
I've never asked for guys to buy me a drink. If a guy comes up to make conversation and then offers to buy me a drink then sometimes I'll say yes please and thank you, I do have manners! On more than one occasion I've bought drinks for the guy. Not something I really think about.
Reply 105
Original post by KingStannis
Implying whether someone can afford to pay 3 pounds or so for a drink is a good measure of how much income they have? Or are you suggesting that it's all fine assuming you have more than 3 pounds in your bank, because like, you need to have some standards?

Don't know what kind of clubs you go to but no drinks are not £3 anymore.
Original post by Trill

I don't go to clubs but unless drinks are like 20 quid or something I think the point still stands. Willingness to buy you a drink is hardly a reliably indicator of wealth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by KingStannis
I don't go to clubs but unless drinks are like 20 quid or something I think the point still stands. Willingness to buy you a drink is hardly a reliably indicator of wealth.

That's your opinion as I am entitled to mine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm gay, but I guess the same stuff still applies.

If someone offers to buy me a drink I pretty much always refuse. I like to do the courting, not be courted. But if I were to accept, I would only do so if I had the intention of sticking around and getting to know the person. And obviously it depends on the person and how comfortable they are with me buying them things. I'm happy to do rounds too, so long as the other person isn't the one paying for everything. Generally though, I'm always the one to buy. I don't really care if the girl vanishes or not afterwards. It's a night out and I like buying people drinks and if they're not interested that's cool.

It bugs when girls accept drinks then walk off, but it bugs me more that guys buy drinks because they are seen as some sort of promise you will stay with them. A drink comes with an expectation of something else.

You should buy someone a drink because it is a nice thing to do, not because you want something from them.

Of course not everyone who buys someone a drink is like that, but some people are.

And my God, we're in the 21st century. There's no obligation for a man to buy the drinks if he doesn't want to and he shouldn't feel pressured to do so. Do rounds or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trill

Yeah lol I was about to say. Tap water and ice.
Original post by Petro_99
As a girl if I guy buys me a free drink theres no reason to decline!

HOWEVER, I find most guys think buying you a drink means they`ve sealed the deal without any conversation first.

I only would take a guy back whose conversation I enjoyed before he buys me a drink, and if I liked him he wouldnt need to buy me a drink anyway...

QFT.

Original post by Knugs
Instead of buying her a drink, try this;
Get your wingman friends to hook you up with a lady.
1x pint for each try
5x for a succesful hit

I don't need wingmen, I can do it myself haha

Original post by yo radical one
Why are you buying drinks for girls in clubs...?

Where did I say I did? I've never bought a girl a drink unless she's a friend that I've known for a while.

As I'm saying, all I'm going off is my personal experiences here. I've seen my friends get asked by girls that if they can buy them a drink, and when they do, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and some have just completely backed away from the idea as it just seems 'creepy and desperate' as some have put it here. I know I don't have to buy a drink for a girl just to have a friendly chat. Besides, I go out to have fun with friends and meet new people, not to try and get a random shag. I don't see the fun trying to chase a girl for their number when I could be perfectly fine just having a laugh with some friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
i'll buy a girl a drink in a bar but it'll be part of a nice set so i buy a bottle of champagne and give her a glass and drink the rest myself
Original post by soanonymous
Guys always buy me drinks at the bar, and I never ask for it & don't expect them to but I'll admit, I keep quiet that I have a boyfriend until after I get the drink & then leave to find a friend:smile: works everytime & saves me tons of money!

Bisch i cud sue you for stealing, thats a federal affense you know ==:mad:
Original post by biggiewasmyniggi
Bisch i cud sue you for stealing, thats a federal affense you know ==:mad:

A drink...that was bought for someone else is stealing...? Ok..
Don't worry I have failed over and over and over again... but that is why I succeed the most.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I've never in my clubbing life asked a guy I've just met to buy me a drink.

I'd feel so awkward. And there's nothing worse than a guy you don't like buying you a drink without asking you, or refusing a no thanks for an answer. And then you feel compelled to stay with him because he's forced a drink on you. And then when you do go you feel guilty, even though you didn't ask for the drink in the first place!
Reply 116
Original post by frankieboy
Yeah lol I was about to say. Tap water and ice.

lol no lady has ever been impressed with tap water and ice.
Original post by Trill
lol no lady has ever been impressed with tap water and ice.

Not even with one of those parasol things? :tongue:
Reply 118
Original post by frankieboy
Not even with one of those parasol things? :tongue:

If she is that drunk she might think its vodka.
I'm female.

If a guy offers me a free drink...
I'm gonna say YES because that's a free drink? Like, if someone in a shop offered to buy me a free roast chicken, YES please. It's simple, really. I want it, and if I can get it for free that's even better.

I don't care who buys it for me. I'll talk to the guy politely while I drink it, and be nice to see if I can maybe get offered another. If I like the guy, I'll stay and chill for as long as we both want and it will be genuine. If I don't like the guy, I'm still gonna try and get that free drink... But nothing will be genuine. If I don't like the guy, then I'm just using him for free alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending