The Student Room Group

The Legalisation Of Marijuana

I would like to know everyone's views on the legalization of Marijuana in the UK. I understand this is a popular topic at the moment and to my knowledge is being pushed for legalization more than ever due to the recent American states legalizing the use of Medicinal and Recreational Use.

I would simply like to know why you think it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be made legal over here.

:smile:
Reply 1
Certainly decriminalise it for personal use. Allow someone to have up to 4 plants and 10 grams on person without confiscation or caution.

As for legislation I'm in two minds. It isn't as harmless as some pro-legislation people portray it as. However criminalising people for using it is pointless and a waste of resources. I'd rather it was decriminalised and then legalised, so we can at least make some tax revenue from it. Then ring fence the income from it for mental health treatment, drug rehabilitation treatment and drug education.
Reply 2
Why it should: alcohol and caffeine have both been shown to have more negative health repercussions than weed, the police force has limited funding and legalizing one of the most popular illegal drugs will free up some of their resources even though to my understanding the police don't bother with users any-more. Colorado's recent windfall has also shown legalized marijuana can be very profitable from a tax point of view which is another big plus.

Why it shouldn't: Weed is addictive and its effects on the human body in terms of its high could be seen as detrimental to people especially younger kids who could have an easier time getting hold of it if made legal. Cannabis itself has been linked to mental health issues although to my knowledge no concrete evidence exists that weed causes mental illness however this link could mean more studies need to be done so people can make an informed decision whether to smoke it or not.

Really those are the main points of the for / against arguments, personally I don't really care as long as it's only sold in designated shops and precautions are made that only 18+ year olds are able to purchase it. In terms of the mental health potential risks it seems to me all the studies are showing is people with mental illness are more likely to smoke cannabis and cannabis can exasperate pre-existing conditions but so could a million and one other things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JakeyWV
I would like to know everyone's views on the legalization of Marijuana in the UK. I understand this is a popular topic at the moment and to my knowledge is being pushed for legalization more than ever due to the recent American states legalizing the use of Medicinal and Recreational Use.

I would simply like to know why you think it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be made legal over here.

:smile:

it is a very dangerous drug despite what many posters on here claim. the modern strains of "skunk" are far more harmful than the insipid weed of yesteryear.
even the mild varieties can ruin your life, as this film graphically demonstrates:

[video="youtube;DALBRzPAgKM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DALBRzPAgKM[/video]
Reply 4
The current law works fine. We don't have the incarceration issues that the U.S. has so I wouldn't even decriminalise marijuana.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
The current law works fine. We don't have the incarceration issues that the U.S. has so I wouldn't even decriminalise marijuana.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Works fine towards what end?
Reply 6
I'm not going to use it regardless, so I have no particular allegiance to either side.
Reply 7
Original post by BitWindy
Works fine towards what end?

Our end, drugs are still far more problematic in the USA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending