The Student Room Group

Londoners twice as likely to think homosexuality is 'morally wrong'

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/t42u7601yg/InternalResults_150224_homosexuality_Website.pdf

It seems on average 15% of the population think homosexuality is morally wrong but in London this doubles to about 29%.

Why are Londoners more likely to be homophobic?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2015/03/is-londons-diversity-to-blame-for-its-unprogressive-views-on-homosexuality/

Isn't diversity great?

Scroll to see replies

That's a real puzzle, that one.

It must be all those old, white UKIP voters living in London, right?
Original post by Falcatas
http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/t42u7601yg/InternalResults_150224_homosexuality_Website.pdf

It seems on average 15% of the population think homosexuality is morally wrong but in London this doubles to about 29%.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2015/03/is-londons-diversity-to-blame-for-its-unprogressive-views-on-homosexuality/

Isn't diversity great?

So two factors (seem to) correlate therefore one must cause the other. Perfect logic.

If ''More Diversity = More Homophobia'' then why is homophobia greater in Scotland than it is in the south?

Also per area these sample sizes are fairly small so I'm not entirely sure if they're all that accurate. Could be wrong though.
Good I feel the same way
Original post by SHallowvale
So two factors (seem to) correlate therefore one must cause the other. Perfect logic.

If ''More Diversity = More Homophobia'' then why is homophobia greater in Scotland than it is in the south?

Also per area these sample sizes are fairly small so I'm not entirely sure if they're all that accurate. Could be wrong though.

Religion causing homophobia really isn't that crazy an idea though is it?
Original post by Zargabaath
Religion causing homophobia really isn't that crazy an idea though is it?

No, but that were the case then Scotland, Wales and the Midlands should be the least homophobic of all the listed areas.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6

There is a significant difference in the London and other results. Scotland's result was 17% the same as Wales/ Midlands, while the North of England and the South of England where at 15%. These results are all fairly close.

London is at 29% which is significantly higher. Maybe there is an issue with the samples but still a much higher % of Londoners have homophobic views.

Maybe the gays of London are just extra obnoxious.
Reply 7
London has a higher proportion of Conservatives and religious types (namely Jews and Muslims), so old habits die hard I guess.
"Muslims in Britain have zero tolerance towards homosexual acts compared to their counterparts in France and Germany, according to a survey published today."

"None of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Keep importing those Muslims, "progressives". I might be a recalcitrant "bigot" (as in, one who does not adhere to the letter of political correctness and refuse to believe in the March of Mankind as defined by communists/cultural Marxists) but since I am white English at least you feel able to label me an "Islamophobe" without your guilt-chip going into overdrive. I, for one, look forward to your efforts to corral and re-educate these millions of beacons of "diversity" via various State institutions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unsurprising given the demographic.
Original post by Falcatas

Isn't diversity great?

It'd be interesting to see what correlations this opinion has with factors like socioeconomic group, ethnicity, education level and religious identity.
I suspect low socioeconomic status corresponds most strongly with homophobia.
Original post by JuliusDS92
I suspect low socioeconomic status corresponds most strongly with homophobia.

I think it depends. I am quite heavily involved in the Labour Party, and I live in a very working class area that is mixed between old-fashioned white working class and more recent immigrants.

In our Labour Party ward meetings, it's made up of a group of Young Turks (not actual turks.. basically young progressives, a majority of us are gay), then there's the older, solid working-class core of our local party machine. These are older white working class folks who have been solid Labour since the year dot.

The only time I've ever heard a homophobic sentiment was from the one Muslim guy, a Muslim Somali who expressed some really visceral homophobic views and was very strongly slapped down by our branch chair who is an white working class guy in his 60s.

Once when we were talking about the 1983 Bermondsey byelection (which Peter Tatchell ran as the Labour candidate, openly gay, Simon Hughes was the Lib Dem and there was a "traditional Labour" candidate). Our branch chair explained that Tatchell being gay made it impossible, he said "That's just the way we were back then. We can't really excuse it, there is no excuse but we didn't know any better". Attitudes have very clearly changed amongst this white working class milieu (at least in Central London where I am)
Original post by young_guns
I think it depends. I am quite heavily involved in the Labour Party, and I live in a very working class area that is mixed between old-fashioned white working class and more recent immigrants.

In our Labour Party ward meetings, it's made up of a group of Young Turks (not actual turks.. basically young progressives, a majority of us are gay), then there's the older, solid working-class core of our local party machine. These are older white working class folks who have been solid Labour since the year dot.

The only time I've ever heard a homophobic sentiment was from the one Muslim guy, a Muslim Somali who expressed some really visceral homophobic views and was very strongly slapped down by our branch chair who is an white working class guy in his 60s.

Once when we were talking about the 1983 Bermondsey byelection (which Peter Tatchell ran as the Labour candidate, openly gay, Simon Hughes was the Lib Dem and there was a "traditional Labour" candidate). Our branch chair explained that Tatchell being gay made it impossible, he said "That's just the way we were back then. We can't really excuse it, there is no excuse but we didn't know any better". Attitudes have very clearly changed amongst this white working class milieu (at least in Central London where I am)

Interesting, thanks.
Original post by JuliusDS92
Interesting, thanks.

No probs :smile: I mean, I think you may be right in that I think a young gay guy, 15 or 16, would probably have it easier at a middle-class private co-ed school in London compared to, say, a comprehensive in Blackpool.

But I do think attitudes are changing in the working class and they reflect the changes that have occurred throughout society over the last 15 years. I think there are more differences in homophobia within social classes than between them (i.e. there are homophobes in working class groups and homophobes in middle-class groups, it's more down to the personality of the person who holds that views than beliefs held on a macro-societal level)
Reply 15
No, but that were the case then Scotland, Wales and the Midlands should be the least homophobic of all the listed areas.

Scotland is the least homophobic of the listed areas.
Original post by Mad Vlad
It'd be interesting to see what correlations this opinion has with factors like socioeconomic group, ethnicity, education level and religious identity.

Are you suggesting that brown, Muslim and poorly educated poor people are homophobic? Because I certainly am.
Reply 17
Whats wrong with disliking a perverted sexual fetish?
Reply 18
Original post by Durance
Whats wrong with disliking a perverted sexual fetish?

What exactly is perverse about it?
Reply 19
Original post by matl
What exactly is perverse about it?

Perversion;
1. distortion or corruption of the original course, meaning, or state of something.

Its a perversion of the original intention of sex, between a man and a woman to reproduce

Quick Reply

Latest