The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Marketing tends to be offered by newer universities and is much less competitive than more "academic" courses like english and history at longer-established unis. Provided you meet the entry requirements you will probably get offers. have a look at the brian heap degree offers book in your lrc/careers office: it has applicants/places stats for each course (divide them by 5 or 6 to get an idea how competitive it really is).

You might want to think about why you want to do the subject. Fine, if that is your passionate interest. but to get a job after with some of the top marketing companies, you might be in a stronger position with a more traditional degree from a prestigious uni.

the right choice depends on your interests (and predicted grades!).

good luck
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice, but i didnt really understand what you meant by the dividing by 6 thing to see if it is competitive and where you find the figures. Can you provide me with the website that shows all the statistics??

Yeah i have got all my 6 offers for the course marketing. I really wanna do this course because i enjoyed it soo much when doing marketing in business studies. This is my firm choice and i wouldnt want to do any other courses. Thanks for all the help!!:smile:
Reply 3
The Brian heap 'degree offers guide' isn't available online as far as I know - you'll have to get hold of a hard copy in the lrc/careers office.

For each course/uni it lists applicants/place. this sounds scary e.g 600 applicants/100 places. but most people apply to 6 unis and only go to one - that's why you divide by 6 to get a very rough idea of the competition. if the number is lower than a 6:1 ratio, it means you're almost certain to get an offer provided you meet the minimum entry requirements. if the ratio is higher, then some people might get rejected.

of course, that assumes that each of the 6 unis are equally popular with applicants. in reality, this will vary. nevertheless it does give you a rough idea.

hope this is a bit clearer!
Reply 4
Marketing is a very interesting and fulfilling subject, and it is good for any kind of management career. The better universities that offer the subject (e.g. Lancaster) will be very competitive, just like all top business degrees.
Reply 5
cheers guys. But i already have my 6 offers you see. I was wondering if it was competitive because of the clearing stage... if i dont get the grades... is there a high chance... for unis to offer me a place. I know i sound soo negative.. but if bad comes to worse.. then i hope i will still get a place.
Reply 6
try googling "independent 2006 clearing". last august's lists may still be on the site. if your unis were in clearing chances are you might get in in you miss your grades slightly.

frankly, rather than waste time worrying about it, you'd be better off concentrating on working hard to get the grades. get off tsr and get back to the books.
Reply 7
Which unis did you apply to?
Reply 8
ok cool. Erm... my unis arent as high as you guys probably... But my firm is going to be Hetfordshire and my insurance will be kingston. I've been to both unis, and i totally love them.

Thanks for all your advices. If you have anymore, pleasee keep telling me :biggrin:
Reply 9
hi vinson, i can offer you advice too.
Reply 10
HAHAHAHAHA, and what advice can you give me mark??
Reply 11
go to school
Reply 12
Mark your advice sucks and you spoil my thread. Does anyone else here know if hertfordshire and kingston are competitive for the course marketing??
Reply 13
If you were to compare Kingston against Hertfordshire, Kingston will be much better for Marketing because it has a higher reputation.
I'd guess they were probably the same. My mate's at Hertforshire, in his experience year, says its alright.
Reply 15
But do you think that marketing is competitive in these unis??? I know marketing isnt as popular as business management.
Reply 16
I don't think it will be hugely competitive...
Reply 17
ddchunlap, what made you put hertfordshire as your firm choice? just wondering as i am considering putting that uni as one of my 6 choices as a backup. Obviously marketing wont be as competitive as business management, but you will need to keep in mind that people who are applying to study business management might also apply for marketing as well as a backup if they cant get into business management since the two subjects are quite similar. Therefore, there is that chance that you will face some strong competition, but then again, that is the same with all subjects anywayz. You will just need to work hard and achieve your grades!:smile:
Reply 18
erm, you should go to the open day. The campus de havilland is sooo good. I loved it, also the course sounded brilliant. What course do you wanna study s_1988?? im working hard and trying my best.... hope it will work...
Reply 19
For me, its either law or history (very undecided!). I was curious as to why you wanted to put hertfordshire as your firm choice cos Kingston is higher in the league tables..but then i guess you cant really rely on them. people studying at herts seem to be disappointed by the lack of social life in there..but i like the fact that they have their own sports centre, it looks quite gud.

Latest

Trending

Trending