The Student Room Group

I think I love my friend - he's a guy, I'm a guy...

I have quite low confidence, and self-esteem because people have treated me pretty awful in the past. I have struggled to maintain and form friendships in the past because of this, and because of the nature of my degree, where I need a have extensive study abroad periods. For the first time in years, I made a group of friends that I feel appreciate me, and I (like always) think they're great. I left university yesterday until September, but I'm terrified they will not speak to me - 'I'll keep in contact' is just thrown around too much.
One of my friends I've grown very close to, we just get on, and have a great friendship, and after only two days apart, I already feel so sad leaving him. Now when I say I love him, I don't necessarily mean in a physical (sex) sort of way - I think. I'm unsure of my sexuality, but don't believe in pidgeon holing people into gay, straight and bi boxes, you like who you like. I've never had a relationship.
I believe I love him in the sense that I see him as family almost, I actually care about not just him but friends in general. I don't want to lose contact with him, but I've already been told he's useless at replying to texts etc.
I'm on a massive low which has last years, and yeah basically I don't want to lose more friends I care about, though I almost feel doomed to the fact that it's going to happen. I make all the effort in friendships.

Any advice for me? I'm new to this, and think advice of my peers would be wonderful. Thank you so much if you read this, I appreciate it so much!
Reply 1
Just message him every now and then to see how summers going. Maybe you could organise a meet up over summer? In order to maintain a friendship you have to be proactive but not overly needy :smile:
Reply 2
You probably admire him for getting far in life it's perfectly normal.
Reply 3
Original post by Ebony19
Just message him every now and then to see how summers going. Maybe you could organise a meet up over summer? In order to maintain a friendship you have to be proactive but not overly needy :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:
I'm moving abroad soon until July which is sort of rubbish and then our hometowns are quite far apart. I get what you're saying though!
I feel with friendships, I'm always the pro-active one that makes the effort to sustain them, and the other party doesn't really bother :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Shadoo
You probably admire him for getting far in life it's perfectly normal.

I would like to think I have got quite far in life as well, I'm about to go into my final year of a joint honours language degree at a reputable university whilst maintaining steady part-time work and solid marks all the way through. It's not a jealously thing.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have quite low confidence, and self-esteem because people have treated me pretty awful in the past. I have struggled to maintain and form friendships in the past because of this, and because of the nature of my degree, where I need a have extensive study abroad periods. For the first time in years, I made a group of friends that I feel appreciate me, and I (like always) think they're great.

It's a lovely feeling isn't it? :smile:

I left university yesterday until September, but I'm terrified they will not speak to me - 'I'll keep in contact' is just thrown around too much.
One of my friends I've grown very close to, we just get on, and have a great friendship, and after only two days apart, I already feel so sad leaving him. Now when I say I love him, I don't necessarily mean in a physical (sex) sort of way - I think. I'm unsure of my sexuality, but don't believe in pidgeon holing people into gay, straight and bi boxes, you like who you like. I've never had a relationship.
I believe I love him in the sense that I see him as family almost, I actually care about not just him but friends in general. I don't want to lose contact with him, but I've already been told he's useless at replying to texts etc.
I'm on a massive low which has last years, and yeah basically I don't want to lose more friends I care about, though I almost feel doomed to the fact that it's going to happen. I make all the effort in friendships.

Any advice for me? I'm new to this, and think advice of my peers would be wonderful. Thank you so much if you read this, I appreciate it so much!

Is it because you miss your friends (or the university environment) or being lonely is the cause of your feelings towards the person?

If he's useless with text then don't put too much hope in it; you may send a few but again, don't set your heart in it too much.
Reply 6
Original post by kka25
It's a lovely feeling isn't it? :smile:

Is it because you miss your friends (or the university environment) or being lonely is the cause of your feelings towards the person?

If he's useless with text then don't put too much hope in it; you may send a few but again, don't set your heart in it too much.

It is nice :smile: I mean I don't consider myself to be a social hermit - I have a lot of people who I speak to - but true friends are lacking. I've not had that best friend that a lot of people have growing up. I'm 21 and quite lonely. I think I definitely miss the university environment - 100 percent - my life and routine is back there. Being home again is a step back to childhood. Part of loneliness though is because I'm emotionally attached to this person. Again not necessarily because it's sexual - just because we get on so well. We have a lot in common and just laugh a lot. I don't want to lose that feeling, which 6 months away from university - and the fact I won't live with him again properly (we were in halls - he's got a house I'm back there again) means I know that relationship will deteriorate. I know it should all be mutual, but I always end up putting all in for not much out. That's just the way it is for me. All I know, is that I miss him dearly, as I do with the rest of my group - and its only been 48 hours.
Reply 7
Original post by Chakede
dude, get a girlfriend
And if it turns out he is actually gay... Don't tell me... He should get a girlfriend :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Ebony19
And if it turns out he is actually gay... Don't tell me... He should get a girlfriend :rolleyes:

I don't know what I am, truth be told!
Reply 9
I don't know what I am, truth be told!
I know :smile:! That's why it's stupid to tell you to go and get a girlfriend...

But in terms of this guy, if your honest with yourself is there any sexual feelings for him? Or is it purely friendship related like you describe?
Reply 10
How are you doing OP?
Original post by kka25
How are you doing OP?

Thanks for asking!
I don't like to moan, but pretty bad. I just feel very lonely. Started having darker thoughts, or at least more of them. Not spoken to any of my university friends since Monday. :frown:
Reply 12
Thanks for asking!
I don't like to moan, but pretty bad. I just feel very lonely. Started having darker thoughts, or at least more of them. Not spoken to any of my university friends since Monday. :frown:

You can drop me a PM if you like OP.
OP I understand that it must be difficult for you but i must stress the importance of making new friends where ever you go and as you move locations throughout your life. It is inevitable that friends drift apart or get closer due to life events and so it's important not to put too much burden/expectation on one friend. What if he gets into a relationship or something? Usually than will make that friend less available. Spread the risk and make friends as you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eveiebaby
OP I understand that it must be difficult for you but i must stress the importance of making new friends where ever you go and as you move locations throughout your life. It is inevitable that friends drift apart or get closer due to life events and so it's important not to put too much burden/expectation on one friend. What if he gets into a relationship or something? Usually than will make that friend less available. Spread the risk and make friends as you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply :smile:
I completely see your point, but I don't want to make new friends anymore, I want to sustain and grow the friends I have made. The friend I am discussing has a girlfriend (though he sometimes does feel sad about that) but that that's not an issue. It's actually not really even about him now - I just feel so lonely, like crippling lonely. People don't bother with me, unless I make the effort. I see that everybody else has someone else - he has a girlfriend and brother, my other friends have best friends at home. I have no siblings, and don't have anyone in my home city. I just hate being alive, everyday is such a struggle.
Thank you for your reply :smile:
I completely see your point, but I don't want to make new friends anymore, I want to sustain and grow the friends I have made. The friend I am discussing has a girlfriend (though he sometimes does feel sad about that) but that that's not an issue. It's actually not really even about him now - I just feel so lonely, like crippling lonely. People don't bother with me, unless I make the effort. I see that everybody else has someone else - he has a girlfriend and brother, my other friends have best friends at home. I have no siblings, and don't have anyone in my home city. I just hate being alive, everyday is such a struggle.

I'm not saying that you need to let go of your current friends, but it is important that you keep getting to know new people as it is unhealthy for your mental health to place to much burden of responsibility for your happiness on any one friend. And it's an unfortunate reality that you will grow apart from some friends. This isn't unique to you...just a fact of life.

Please stop depending on one person and get to know people in your area.
Reply 16
Thanks for asking!

Is there anyone you can talk to about how you feel, even your parents? Darker thoughts are not great tbh, and if they persist then you really need to contact external help. In terms of your situation, can you join the gym or go to some sort of society in your hometown? Even if you don't want to make new friends, it will help you feel less lonely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending