The Student Room Group

Do people actually date at university ?

Might seem like a stupid question but genuinely curious.

Im 19 and ill be at university this coming september. I've got friends there atm who brag about their exploits in the field and tbh it doesn't sound like my thing at all. It's obviously not as sex fuelled as pop culture makes out but is it really all drunken shags, walks of shame and fwbs ?

I've only had one sexual partner prior, and we were in a relationship for a while before we had sex. I go parties and clubs quite often and without sounding arrogant I have girls coming on to me all the time but it's not my thing at all.

Just wondering if it would sound really out of place if I suggested meeting up another time to actually get to know each other or cuddling all night rather than drunken sex. As much as I like sex I actually prefer to have it with someone I like in more than just a physic sense.

I know I'm probably over thinking here but I have the tendency to do that.
50:50. Some date, some have sex.
First year can be a bit party mad and ons's but a very large amount of people meet their life partner at uni , so no, it's not all wild sex with strangers
Nah, there are a real mix of people.

I take people on dates most weeks. I'm a bit of a dandy and like wearing a cravat and buying flowers :P I never want anything serious from it (and neither do the people I ask), I just find dates a lot of fun!

But I also have a hell of a lot of casual sex, because why not?
Reply 4
Of course they date! I met and dated a girl for a year at uni.

Also had a couple of FwBs.. one I met off TSR :ninja:
Reply 5
A lot of people use their time at university to sew their oats... But if you are a guy seeking a relationship I definitely think the odds are in your favour because a lot of girls go to university with the idea that they will meet a life partner or something there.
Reply 6
Some dating I think, but I don't think university lifestyle lends itself to this domesticity.
Don't date at uni, especially the first year, in most cases an cause issues later on.
Reply 8
Original post by DanB1991
Don't date at uni, especially the first year, in most cases an cause issues later on.

I would have thought it would be casual sex which would cause issues: one person develops feelings which affects whole friendship circle, develop a reputation as a slut/manwhore which means decent girls avoid you and you struggle to find worthwhile girls when you want one etc.

I don't have anything wrong with casual sex as such but I just think in most cases men seem to be on this hollow pursuit of flings to build their self esteem . Quite sad.

Thanks for responses people.
Original post by Anonymous
I would have thought it would be casual sex which would cause issues: one person develops feelings which affects whole friendship circle, develop a reputation as a slut/manwhore which means decent girls avoid you and you struggle to find worthwhile girls when you want one etc.

I don't have anything wrong with casual sex as such but I just think in most cases men seem to be on this hollow pursuit of flings to build their self esteem . Quite sad.

Thanks for responses people.

The problem is with actual relationships is generally speaking, those made in the first year will not last, if they end between the second and third year can cause numerous issues.

Friendship groups splitting, accommodation issues (it can be especially awkward if you live with them etc) and the good old fashioned rumour mill, which sadly doesn't change much when compared to earlier education.
Haha OMG you sound exactly like me. I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago. I'm actually kind of worried about fresher's week, just because of this tbh. :P
6 of my friends dated people at uni. One is now married to the guy, another's engaged, another is pregnant, 5/6 are living together. This is 1/2 years after graduation.

Terrifying.
Most guys I meet off tinder are uni guys and I've only ever slept with uni guys (I'm not at uni myself, still at college). Obviously I'd never expect a relationship off any of these guys because they're not from my city and will probably have sex with someone else almost straight after me. I suppose if guys at uni did want a relationship, they'd want it to be with someone who was also at the uni? That's just my guess though.
Reply 13
Yeah people do, although it is a bit more crazy towards the beginning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending