The Student Room Group

KCL or QMUL for English?

I want to study English Lit and I've already done the application process, I applied to QMUL but not King's.

I want to go on to do English Lit and writing. I really liked QMUL's modules, the fact it is cheap for living in London and that it was in the top 20 in the league tables for English.

King's is lower in the league tables for English than QMUL (though not by a huge amount) and also has creative writing on the course which I didn't look into properly when applying for uni because QMUL doesn't have it.

I'd really like people to tell me I'm just being nit picky here and that my opportunities are pretty equal at each, but at the same time I don't want to be lied to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lisgo
I'd really like people to tell me I'm just being nit picky here and that my opportunities are pretty equal at each, but at the same time I don't want to be lied to.

Well, if you ask me, you're mostly just being nit picky here and your opportunities are pretty equal at each. With an English degree potential employers are most likely to be more interested in the fact that you have a degree, and especially in any relevant experience you have in whatever field they are in, than they are to be interested in the specific university you attended, provided the university you attended is a recognisably good one, which QMUL is. As you outline, in your case there are a bunch of known disadvantages attached to taking a year out and reapplying, and you would be taking them on in exchange for an unknown possibility.

By the way (and I appreciate that this is a long way off, but I thought I'd mention it), I'd advise against doing an MA in creative writing or publishing unless you have specific, focused plans for using the qualification afterwards -- or, at least talk to people in publishing / creative writing about it before you do. I'm not saying every MA in those two fields is an unwise investment, but I suspect a lot of them are.
Reply 2
Original post by QHF
Well, if you ask me, you're mostly just being nit picky here and your opportunities are pretty equal at each. With an English degree potential employers are most likely to be more interested in the fact that you have a degree, and especially in any relevant experience you have in whatever field they are in, than they are to be interested in the specific university you attended, provided the university you attended is a recognisably good one, which QMUL is. As you outline, in your case there are a bunch of known disadvantages attached to taking a year out and reapplying, and you would be taking them on in exchange for an unknown possibility.

By the way (and I appreciate that this is a long way off, but I thought I'd mention it), I'd advise against doing an MA in creative writing or publishing unless you have specific, focused plans for using the qualification afterwards -- or, at least talk to people in publishing / creative writing about it before you do. I'm not saying every MA in those two fields is an unwise investment, but I suspect a lot of them are.

Thanks a lot for your response, I think you're probably right. If I was to to an MA in publishing I think I would only consider somewhere like UEA or Warwick which are supposed to be pretty good, but I could definitely change my mind after 3 years. I looked anyway and don't actually think KCL has creative writing in this year's entry so it's all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending