The Student Room Group

If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xctv
Is it worth switching with philosophy? I do maths politics philosophy and economics, I didn't pick it because I didn't choose it at GCSE and chose geography instead (never doing geography for a level such a tedious subject) and i wasn't even sure they would let me do the course.

It all depends on what fits best with what you want to do in university if you want to go, and what you think you would enjoy/get most out of :smile:. If you feel like philosophy won't benefit you in any way then i'd consider swapping. But then again its kind of super late in the academic year to be swapping subjects. Its totally up to you and what you think would be best for your situation :smile:
Everyone has some regrets. :redface:
This is a good question. I am currently studying Psychology, Geography and communication and culture. Last year I also did English language. I think if I was to go back to choosing my options I would never of chosen English language and would probably of chosen citizenship. However I would never change geography and psychology and I don't think if I did citizenship I would chose to study it at uni I would stick to studying geography like I am planning too.
I did History, Fine Art and English Literature and opted to continue General Studies at A2.

I started out doing Geography in year 12 as well, but I ended up dropping it after three or four weeks because I just started a part time job in my first week of sixth form and the workload from my AS was so huge something had to give. Was debating between Art and Geoggers but decided to drop Geography because my teacher would give me five case studies to do for the next day and if I was at work that evening there was no way I could finish it without going to bed stupidly late. Also, my Art teacher had a fit when I told her I wanted to drop Art. :P
Really, I wish I'd just not bothered getting a job so early in the year, or quit it to find one where I could only work at weekends and not flexi-hours.

But then again, if I'm honest, I was ready to drop all my subjects about two months into sixth form.

I really wish I'd taken Science subjects. The only reason I didn't was because I'm a bit squeamish around blood and surgery :redface:. Unfortunately I was also put off by my mum, who really struggled through her Chemistry A Level. Now I'm stuck doing English Literature as a degree, with 9 contact hours a week and absolutely no direction in life. I love how with STEM subjects you can really aspire to one career… and I have no idea what I'm doing… I just feel like I'm wasting my time…
Reply 64
I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Economics. I really regret choosing Economics but I'm still doing all four this year at A2, don't ask me why!! I wish I'd done Physics instead of Economics
I do sociology, media, English Lang & Lit and Medieval History. The only thing I'd change is history! I loved it at GCSE but find it really boring at a level :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Wouldn't change any of them :smile:

I thought long and hard about what I would enjoy doing at A level, instead of what my parents wanted me to do. I would have failed horribly if I had listened to my mum, but seeing as I chose subjects I love, I'm doing well and enjoying it at the same time, so I can't complain!
i'd keep biology, chemistry and maths but i'd have picked something easy, like photography, in place of english. i really love english but it was too much of a strain on top of the three subjects i need for uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SecretDuck
I would've chosen Latin instead of French. Otherwise, I'd keep my other A Levels :smile:

Original post by rhiannon277
Did physics, chemistry, biology wish I had done french, english lit and latin

Guys I did A Level Latin (doing it at uni with French) and the jump to AS is HUGE. It is literally so hard compared to GCSE and the jump feels bigger than that in subjects like maths.
I study maths, biology and health and social care. If I was to go back i would 100% choose to study french!
None if I never listened to people who told me doing a BTEC won't get you into a Russel Group Uni were all liars.

Your struggling for A level and Ucas points and when you get to uni you're still sitting next to people who didn't sit a single exam. Damn all that stress.
My A Levels are:
A2 Law
A2 French
AS/A2 Communication and Culture (1 year course)

I would have stuck to BTEC Hairdressing if I had known how much stress A Levels were, I heard people talk about how stressful they were but I honestly thought they were exaggerating lol. Plus French is officially the worst A Level ever!
I wish I'd taken Physics instead of Japanese. And then maybe Maths or Politics, but I don't know what I'd swap it for.
I'm currently doing AS biology, chemistry, maths and French.

If I could pick again I would NOT have taken French :biggrin: It is definitely the hardest AS out of the four of them. I think if I had taken something like history, english literature or psychology (if my school offered that) I probably would have done much better in my exams.
Original post by TheWaffle
Guys I did A Level Latin (doing it at uni with French) and the jump to AS is HUGE. It is literally so hard compared to GCSE and the jump feels bigger than that in subjects like maths.

The jump for French was even huger - plus, Latin A Level was something I could have taught myself, unlike French.
The ones I am going to be doing this year; Sociology, German, Philosophy
Reply 76
Change school; mine was a crap hole.
Currently doing AS: Chemistry, biology, maths and geography

I wish I swapped chemistry and geography for physics and politics :frown:
Currently do biology maths English and I dropped chemistry
if I could choose again I'd choose English history maths and psychology
I study Biology Chemistry Geography and Btec Diploma in electronic Engineering. If I had known tht I had wanted to study engineering in the future I would have either dropped chemistry and taken up Btec IT to make things easier for myself. Or just gone college and done the full extended diploma

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest