The Student Room Group

Can you live off the min student loan if you are unable to work at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Physflop
What? You go to uni to get a degree in someone you want to do as a career. So if your health means you can't work then surely you wont be able to work after uni either? So why bother?

Knowledge, self enrichment etc.
Original post by Sylar2010
Knowledge, self enrichment etc.

So all us tax payers who already pay a stupid amount for your benefits, have to fork out for you to waste 3 years at uni, and then go back on benefits again? Haha what a joker please sort it out
So all us tax payers who already pay a stupid amount for your benefits, have to fork out for you to waste 3 years at uni, and then go back on benefits again? Haha what a joker please sort it out
Umm you can be on certain benefits at uni your clearly a rightist tory. Are you seriously mocking disabled people's right to access education just because some of them can't market themselves afterwards!
Dear god how can they not give everyone enough to live on? I literally can't save I live on benefits and my parents refuse to support uni fiscally. Here's hoping it works out ok with SF as I have no idea what my parents income is as yet I just know it's gone up recently.

Have you looked into special support grants? If you claim certain benefits, you may be qualify. It would give you the loan and a grant.
Umm you can be on certain benefits at uni your clearly a rightist tory. Are you seriously mocking disabled people's right to access education just because some of them can't market themselves afterwards!

It's a joke that I lose £300 a month when I work 5 days a week and get paid peanuts and people can get whatever for nothing. Yeah actually, I am against people going to uni if they aren't going to use it to get a job, not disabled people, anyone who does that!! You can get education other ways for less money!
Original post by Quantex
Have you looked into special support grants? If you claim certain benefits, you may be qualify. It would give you the loan and a grant.
Thanks good advice.
I don't know what you are complaining about. I get zilch for the first couple of years.
Reply 27
It's a joke that I lose £300 a month when I work 5 days a week and get paid peanuts and people can get whatever for nothing. Yeah actually, I am against people going to uni if they aren't going to use it to get a job, not disabled people, anyone who does that!! You can get education other ways for less money!

Of the money you are taxed I assure you very little of it goes towards benefits let alone disability benefits, you are misdirecting your anger.

At OP as someone else said special support grant is another option I forgot about. Good luck.
Original post by keladry
Of the money you are taxed I assure you very little of it goes towards benefits let alone disability benefits, you are misdirecting your anger.

At OP as someone else said special support grant is another option I forgot about. Good luck.

Didn't say it all did, but I lose a huge chunk for others to gain a load without any work. That's the issue
Reply 29
What do you mean minimum? Maintenance loan and maintenance grant?
Reply 30
Didn't say it all did, but I lose a huge chunk for others to gain a load without any work. That's the issue

You don't lose a huge chunk from benefits, you lose quite a small chunk that's my point. Your taxes go to a heck of a lot more than benefits.

Besides although OP may still struggle to get a job due to his health he is far more likely (assumming his disability is physical) to be able to work in academics than a typical job such as tescos tills or behind a bar.

if OP is disabled going to uni to find an academic job where he/she could work from home , or at least have a better chance to get job with little physical activity - would surely benefit them. And, really it can be a lose/lose situation going to uni anyway. effectively the government will have a student with such a big dept that they would make payments, with interest - for his/her whole working life. And find it harder to get loans/mortgage. 'getting whatever for nothing' isn't a total reality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by keladry
You don't lose a huge chunk from benefits, you lose quite a small chunk that's my point. Your taxes go to a heck of a lot more than benefits.

Besides although OP may still struggle to get a job due to his health he is far more likely (assumming his disability is physical) to be able to work in academics than a typical job such as tescos tills or behind a bar.

Again, I didn't say for benefits. I mean I lose a huge chunk of money to TAXES and people on benefits get all their money without working, and don't pay any tax. Easy life compared to actually working every day. There's plenty of jobs people with different disabilities can get if they actually want to and put the effort in
Basically can't because I am on benefits for my health. Don't even have a bank that does overdrafts family is never in debt.

Depends on your age but if you mean esa or other benefits then they shall count you as independent as you could claim benefits to support yourself so they may not count your parents income. Also consider apply for dsa if your health issues are significant.

Get a student account and they d give you a 1000+ overdraft, its based on you not your parents whether you can get an overdraft or not.
Thanks good advice.

The special support grant is still means tested. It replaces the maintenance grant but means you can get max loan and max grant. If your parents earn too much you won't be eligible for the special support grant.
Original post by claireestelle
Depends on your age but if you mean esa or other benefits then they shall count you as independent as you could claim benefits to support yourself so they may not count your parents income. Also consider apply for dsa if your health issues are significant.

Get a student account and they d give you a 1000+ overdraft, its based on you not your parents whether you can get an overdraft or not.

I believe you need to have had an income over a certain amount for 3 years to be classed as independent. Just being on benefits isn't enough.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I believe you need to have had an income over a certain amount for 3 years to be classed as independent. Just being on benefits isn't enough.

There isnt an income threshold just the ability to have been able to support yourself, care leavers are supported by benefits/local authorities and then are then classed as independent students starting university so they dont necessarily have to have been in paid work.
Student finances wales criteria(assume englands are similar):
They’ve supported themselves for at least three years before the start of their course.
This includes anytime they:- were in paid, full-time employment
- got Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance or other state benefit
- got any pension, allowance or other benefit because of their disability or by any reason of confinement,sickness or illness-
got training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency
There isnt an income threshold just the ability to have been able to support yourself, care leavers are supported by benefits/local authorities and then are then classed as independent students starting university so they dont necessarily have to have been in paid work.

I'm sure I've seen people on here claiming that SFE told them they couldn't have supported themselves as they didn't earn enough. Either way, OP still needs to have been on benefits for 3 years.

And I suspect care leavers are classed as 'estranged from their parents' so are exempt for that reason.
(edited 9 years ago)

There is if you weren't in care, £7500 per year. The caring situation is completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending