The Student Room Group

having racial preferences..does it matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bittr n swt
If you blank out other races it's racism

If you blank out other genders what is it?

Just go away you closet racist

I don't blank out any race.

If you blank out other races it's racism, then if you blank out other sexes/genders it would be sexism.
Original post by clh_hilary
I don't blank out any race.

If you blank out other races it's racism, then if you blank out other sexes/genders it would be sexism.

Lol go read the definition of sexism.
By your logic loads of people are sexist
Lol go read the definition of sexism.
By your logic loads of people are sexist

I'm going by your logic.

And nine posts in you still refused/failed to demonstrate the difference between having preference for a particular race and one for a particular sex/gender?
I'm going by your logic.

And nine posts in you still refused/failed to demonstrate the difference between having preference for a particular race and one for a particular sex/gender?

Racism- that's the difference which I said early on

It's not ****ing sexist to blank out a gender. I'm a straight man, you telling me I have to consider guys too? **** no
Racism- that's the difference which I said early on

It's not ****ing sexist to blank out a gender. I'm a straight man, you telling me I have to consider guys too? **** no

OK. Eleven posts in, let us do this again:

IF
having preference for a race is 'racism'

why is
having preference for a sex not 'sexism'

?

What are the differences between the two?

IF

why is

?

Did you read the definition of sexism like I told you to? Can you read?
Did you read the definition of sexism like I told you to? Can you read?

Oxford Dictionary
sexism
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex

If you say you won't go for guys just because, it means you're judging them on the basis of sex. Fits perfectly within Oxford's definition of sexism.

However, it doesn't fit with racism:

racism
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior

So based on this cold and hard definition, if you're a white guy looking for Asians, you're not racist if you don't think your own race is superior; even less so if you look for Asians if you think other white people are not attractive.

Now, can you read?
Oxford Dictionary
sexism
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex

If you say you won't go for guys just because, it means you're judging them on the basis of sex. Fits perfectly within Oxford's definition of sexism.

However, it doesn't fit with racism:

racism
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior

So based on this cold and hard definition, if you're a white guy looking for Asians, you're not racist if you don't think your own race is superior; even less so if you look for Asians if you think other white people are not attractive.

Now, can you read?

Don't be daft, you're being so pedantic now
I'm don't go for guys because of just their sex.

I stand by what I said earlier on in my first post. I'm done wasting my time here
Don't be daft, you're being so pedantic now
I'm don't go for guys because of just their sex.

I stand by what I said earlier on in my first post. I'm done wasting my time here

You realised you had no counter arguments so you never explained, never answered, and never really made one. Then go away. lol

'I'm don't go for guys because of just their sex.' = Prejudice/discrimination on the basis of sex
Reply 49
You realised you had no counter arguments so you never explained, never answered, and never really made one. Then go away. lol

'I'm don't go for guys because of just their sex.' = Prejudice/discrimination on the basis of sex

You are correct to a degree, however, one being attracted to one particular sex is not exactly a negative example of sex discrimination. Hence why when people use the word sexism they do not use this for such an example because the sex you are attracted to is seen as a natural part of you.

I would also disagree with bittr n swt suggesting it's racist to have a preference for one race because this in itself does not make someone a racist. I do not think it necessarily impacts on a particular race unless such a person also makes decisions based on race in other parts of life such as employing people, making friends.

I think labeling attraction to one particular race racism dumbs down what racism actually is. You being attracted individually to one race is not necessarily a prejudice. This does not even mean that said person would not be attracted to other races, this preference could just be the most prefered rather then only attraction.

Also there are several reasons why people are attracted to particular groups could be physical, personality or cultural preferences so I think it's a bit much to call it racist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
You are correct to a degree, however, one being attracted to one particular sex is not exactly a negative example of sex discrimination. Hence why when people use the word sexism they do not use this for such an example because the sex you are attracted to is seen as a natural part of you.

I would also disagree with bittr n swt suggesting it's racist to have a preference for one race because this in itself does not make someone a racist. I do not think it necessarily impacts on a particular race unless such a person also makes decisions based on race in other parts of life such as employing people, making friends.

I think labeling attraction to one particular race racism dumbs down what racism actually is. You being attracted individually to one race is not necessarily a prejudice. This does not even mean that said person would not be attracted to other races, this preference could just be the most prefered rather then only attraction.

Also there are several reasons why people are attracted to particular groups could be physical, personality or cultural preferences so I think it's a bit much to call it racist.

Exactly. Unless there are no biological or physical implications whatsoever, having a preference for a race is not racist. Naturally attracted to a sex is no difference from naturally attracted to people of a particular set of facial features, biological features (eg skin tone), and/or skin colour.

To say you cannot suggest such a preference because you have not met every single person of that race is absurd, not only for the simple fact that you can use the exact same sentence for sexual orientation, but also the fact that there are guys who look really like girls and vice versa, as well as different kinds of transgender people which you may or may not be attracted to.

Whether it is negative to the one 'discriminated' does not matter. That would depend on the rationale and reasoning behind the preference as you have dealt with in the latter part of your post.
idgaf i cant MAKE people be attracted to me
It doesn't really bother me until people start race bashing or being downright rude at a particular race. Just because they aren't what your attracted too doesn't mean they aren't good looking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone has the right to prefer one thing or person over the other. Its not racism, its a preference.

IF

why is

?

There's a huge difference if you think about it.
Having a preference for a sex is not culturally driven (it would be innate). Having a preference for a race is culturally driven.

Hence you can only suppose that someone who prefers one race to another race must have come from a culture where they were was persuaded to think this way.

How can you be persuaded to prefer one race to another race? Well you'd have to absorb social cues that depict one race as being superior to other races.

Does this happen in the UK? Of course it does. There's clearly a media driven message that white skin (and beauty ideals) are representative of the human ideal. How can you possibly NOT BE racist if you live in the UK under such a persistent and orchestrated campaign to shape your perceptions of race?

After all, for what reason can you prefer one race to another? I doubt you're born with a preference for a certain race. Though I suppose it's theoretically possible. However moving into technicalities is a disingenuous way of thinking about this issue.

So while is it possible for you to prefer one sex to another sex and not have this preference informed by sexist ideas, it's not possible to prefer one race to another race and not to have this preference informed by racism.
Original post by Foodatastic
Everyone has the right to prefer one thing or person over the other. Its not racism, its a preference.

Racism is a kind of preference, you realize? Racism is a specific type of preference where one race is preferred to another race.

Just as sexism is where one sex is preferred to another sex (this doesn't include non-cultural preferences, such as sexual preferences).
Original post by Mike9910
Racism is a kind of preference, you realize? Racism is a specific type of preference where one race is preferred to another race.

Just as sexism is where one sex is preferred to another sex (this doesn't include non-cultural preferences, such as sexual preferences).

If thats the case, than the definition of Racism is flawed, everyone is racist. Biologically, a person is born with a racial preference, everyone is then born racist by that definition.
Original post by Precious Illusions
idgaf i cant MAKE people be attracted to me

Yes you could: you'd just need the power to control the media and our cultural institutions.

The Nazis for example did a very good job of shaping what was considered attractive and what was not.

So has the Western media.

Beauty is simply a popularity contest: all you need to do to make someone attracted to you is make your looks popular.
Original post by Mike9910
There's a huge difference if you think about it.
Having a preference for a sex is not culturally driven (it would be innate). Having a preference for a race is culturally driven.

Hence you can only suppose that someone who prefers one race to another race must have come from a culture where they were was persuaded to think this way.

How can you be persuaded to prefer one race to another race? Well you'd have to absorb social cues that depict one race as being superior to other races.

Does this happen in the UK? Of course it does. There's clearly a media driven message that white skin (and beauty ideals) are representative of the human ideal. How can you possibly NOT BE racist if you live in the UK under such a persistent and orchestrated campaign to shape your perceptions of race?

After all, for what reason can you prefer one race to another? I doubt you're born with a preference for a certain race. Though I suppose it's theoretically possible. However moving into technicalities is a disingenuous way of thinking about this issue.

So while is it possible for you to prefer one sex to another sex and not have this preference informed by sexist ideas, it's not possible to prefer one race to another race and not to have this preference informed by racism.

There isn't that much of a difference between preferring a sex being sexism and preferring a race being racism; both are interlinked. You are saying that prefering a race is culturally driven; with all due respect, that is incorrect. Biology has proven that races are normally hard-wired to marry within their race, and so its not racist. Of course, you can always bring up the child in a manner that they don't mind a certain race and overcome their biological hard-wiring, but in todays society that's pretty hard to do.
Original post by Foodatastic
If thats the case, than the definition of Racism is flawed, everyone is racist. Biologically, a person is born with a racial preference, everyone is then born racist by that definition.

I don't believe people are born with a racial preference.

For example, in India white skin (and beauty ideals) are seen as the ideal form of beauty. None of the natives have white skin. How can this be if we are born with a racial preference (which would presumably be for our own race)? Racial preferences are clearly culturally driven.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending