The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Ask your questions in this King's College Q&A

We'll be live on The Student Room from Monday 13 to Friday the 17 April, from 9 am to 5 pm GMT, with current King's students and staff answering your questions about life at King's, living in London, our campuses, facilities and accommodations and programmes! If you have any questions, post them in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we're live on Monday 13 April.

If you're interested in visiting King’s for the day, register for one of our summer open days

We look forward to chatting with you over the coming weeks and answering your questions. Click here to ask your question in our Q&A forum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an offer for Computer Science so I was wondering what is the class size in a typical lecture? And is there a way to ask questions and contact professors outside of Lectures? Is there an option of choosing major/minors topics? Also I understand the job prospects for Kings is excellent but will we be helped by the University in looking for jobs and is there possibilities of summer internships? Also I was wondering about what merit based scholarships are available for home students there?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I am looking to start my Masters in Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism. Either at KCL vs UCL Countering Organised Crime andTerrorism. Advice and Help? Please!

Anyone on the Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism MSc or have applied for it?
Reply 3
Are there any work experience opportunities, say, in a science lab, available for year 12 students (e.g. over Summer)? I'd be very happy contacting people at the departments directly- just wanted to know if it has been accommodated before. Thanks for your time!
Reply 4
Another question here about summer internships and wether Kings has resources to help students find them.
What's your View on the IB?

Are A Levels Preferred?
Just a quick question about accommodation, I can't seem to get a clear answer on this from anyone.

Intercollegiate Halls are catered according to the website. How does that work? Is it subsidised or fully included in the cost of the accommodation?

Additionally, will there be an issue for me trying to get accommodation in London as an undergraduate, considering I already live in London? If it's a mitigating factor, I will be 20 at the point of entry.
Reply 7
Why are student satisfaction rates always so low for kings?
Original post by a9493r
I have an offer for Computer Science so I was wondering what is the class size in a typical lecture? And is there a way to ask questions and contact professors outside of Lectures? Is there an option of choosing major/minors topics? Also I understand the job prospects for Kings is excellent but will we be helped by the University in looking for jobs and is there possibilities of summer internships? Also I was wondering about what merit based scholarships are available for home students there?

I study Comp Sci at Kings. I think it's about 200-300 people. Yeah you can always ask questions via email or meet them in office. Major and minors in Maths & Business I'm aware of. They Uni have links with Credit Suisse and a few more companies so yeah.
Reply 9
What's your GCSE minimum requirement for Medicine - from a person who goes to a private school.

thanks
Reply 10
I'm interested in studying an undergraduate course in the Classics department, and was wondering the chances of those getting accepted without meeting the required A-level results (would they accept ABB even if the offer is AAB?). I would also like to know how popular the classics programmes are and if there are opportunities to study abroad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi, I'm looking to apply for dentistry at Kings and was curious as to know your view on the Extended Project Qualification. I am looking to do something related to dentistry for it and was wondering if you would consider it a desirable asset to an application. Thank you
Hi, I am interested doing Biomedical science at Kings but I've only got a C in my GCSE English rather than a B, do i have a chance getting in? Thank you
Reply 13
Original post by charliebe2
Just a quick question about accommodation, I can't seem to get a clear answer on this from anyone.

Intercollegiate Halls are catered according to the website. How does that work? Is it subsidised or fully included in the cost of the accommodation?

Additionally, will there be an issue for me trying to get accommodation in London as an undergraduate, considering I already live in London? If it's a mitigating factor, I will be 20 at the point of entry.

The cost of catering is fully included in the cost, I believe (though I was in un-catered halls, I could be wrong :colondollar:).

As for the accommodation, it may or may not be an issue. King's prioritises those that live outside the M25 ring when it comes to accommodation. You may still be offered accommodation, depending on how many students require it, but you may not get the accommodation you asked for (hell, I lived in Manchester and didn't get anything like the accommodation I asked for :tongue:).
Original post by a9493r

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! Your course will provide you with the capability to understand, create and use computer systems and solve problems what’s great is the emphasis on practical skills which means you will have a mix of lectures, tutorial groups, practical laboratories and individual and group projects. The department has really friendly staff and professors to support you and you will be expected to do independent work in the library and working with colleagues in study groups :smile: There is a great list of modules to choose from if you take a look here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/informatics/study/current/handbook/progs/ug/g400.aspx.

You will also be supported in making your decisions about your career choices with a dedicated careers programme for the department. Good to hear you are thinking forward about your career options and currently 91% of Computer Science graduates at King’s have found full-time work in graduate level jobs and being in London you will have great access to the job market. If you would like to read up about finding summer internships take a look here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/informatics/study/current/handbook/about/career.aspx. Please also few this page about scholarship opportunities :smile: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/index.aspx.

Hope that helps!

Kerri
Original post by fizzers
Are there any work experience opportunities, say, in a science lab, available for year 12 students (e.g. over Summer)? I'd be very happy contacting people at the departments directly- just wanted to know if it has been accommodated before. Thanks for your time!

Hi Fizzers!

Physics sometimes run a programme for someone to shadow the department; this is still to be confirmed this year but to enquire please contact [email protected] or [email protected] for further information :smile:

Thanks and good luck with your studies!

Kerri
Original post by adriankkz
Hi, I am interested doing Biomedical science at Kings but I've only got a C in my GCSE English rather than a B, do i have a chance getting in? Thank you

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your interest in King's, have you thought about attending one of our open days in the summer so you can find out more about the course? For our Biomedical Sciences degree you will need AAB (including Chemistry and Biology as two of those) so as long as you can reach that using your other subjects you can apply :smile: When completing your personal statement be sure to highlight your strengths and back that up with any work experience or practical knowledge that you have, and also why you are choosing to study the course/why you are passionate about it. To join us for the day in the summer register to one of the Arts and Sciences open days at the Strand - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/openday/pre-application.aspx.

Thanks and best of luck with your application :smile:

Kerri
Original post by bluh2
I'm interested in studying an undergraduate course in the Classics department, and was wondering the chances of those getting accepted without meeting the required A-level results (would they accept ABB even if the offer is AAB?). I would also like to know how popular the classics programmes are and if there are opportunities to study abroad.

Hi there!

Thanks for your interest in studying here at King's :smile: Our Classics courses are very popular so our standard entry requirements are AAB - but we'd recommend still applying if you just miss the grades and be sure you tell us why you are so enthusiastic about the course, why you are choosing Classics and any work experience or evidence you ave to back this up in your personal statement. Take a look at this video to help you complete your personal statement and get the most out of your application :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0loBMvhTW9k.

All students are offered the unique opportunity to study abroad as part of a Classics degree and recent popular destinations include The University of California and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. There is also the chance to attend the annual summer schools at the British Schools in Athens and Rome, and participate in archaeological excavations in Greece and Italy, as well as further afield.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Kerri
Original post by Xphoenix
What's your View on the IB?

Are A Levels Preferred?

Hi Xphoenix!

Thanks for your interest in King's. We don't have a preference in terms of qualifications as long as you meet our entry requirements for the course you're interested in. To find out the IB requirements for courses at King's, please visit our online prospectus and search for the subject you're interested in: www.kcl.ac.uk/propectus

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Stacey
Original post by charliebe2

Hi Charlie,

For catered Intercollegiate Halls, the overall fees do include catering costs. For specific details on each halls of residence and their costs, it would be worth visiting the University of London site designated to Intercollegiate Halls: http://halls.london.ac.uk/prospective Here you can click on each halls of residence to find out what they have to offer and where they are located.

In terms of allocation, we receive over 7,000 applications for our 5,000 beds, so in order to ensure it is as fair as possible we use a ballot system to allocate rooms to students. If you currently live in London, you can still apply for our halls of residences but priority is given to other applicants and you will not be included in the first round of the allocations ballot. If you are not allocated a place on subsequent ballots you will automatically be put on our waiting list.

There are a list of London postcodes which the above rule applies for, please take a look at our website to see whether your postcode falls within one of these areas: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/residences/docs/Do-you-already-live-in-London.pdf

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Stacey

Quick Reply

Latest