The Student Room Group

Would most young women be OK with being the provider?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eveiebaby
I'm sorry but vet science, dentistry and law are in no way easy/mickey mouse degrees. Have you any idea what a mickey mouse degree is?

Original post by PPF
Lol. Yes I do have an idea.. They are all Minnie Mouse degrees and are incomparable in terms of difficulty to mathematics and physics for example..

Compare the likes of Grigori Perelman and Einstein to whoever you regard as the "top" lawyer, vet scientist or dentist...

I wouldn't say that they are mickey mouse at all.

I would say that the sort of challenge they present is different however with law, vet med, dentistry etc. being conceptually easier but having a lot more to learn whereas maths, physics etc. are far harder conceptually (that isn't really up for debate) but the content that you learn has a far smaller volume.
Original post by PPF
No they can't be. Its impossible.
I would humbly suggest you to research a bit into advanced mathematics and you will find out. By the way I am not studying maths or physics so this isn't a biased judgement.

How would you know that? Some people are good at certain subjects an find others hard, and others are the other way around. So it's a subjective matter an therefore is not impossible.

What do/did you study, out of curiosity? And how old are you?
Original post by onegeargo
So why do you appreciate his rough, blue collar ''masculinity'' then? You know ''masculinity'' is socially constructed , right? You only like him because society has programed you that way.

I'm a bit confused by your response to Anon's post. He/she never said that he/she only finds his/her boyfriend attractive because of his masculinity. He/she is probably attracted to him for other reasons, such as intelligence, sense of humour, similar interests, looks, kindness, or any of a range of things. Maybe his "rough, blue collar masculinty" is one thing that Anon doesn't appreciate that much about him. I'm pretty sure he/she isn't just attracted to him because "society has programmed [him/her]" that way.
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
How would you know that? Some people are good at certain subjects an find others hard, and others are the other way around. So it's a subjective matter an therefore is not impossible.

What do/did you study, out of curiosity? And how old are you?

You see i'm not doubting the existence of comparative advantage. But overall those subjects require a much higher level of intelligence.

3rd Year UG BSc Economics. 20 Years Old.
It really depends. Personally once I have children I'd prefer to be around to be a mum to them as much as possible, but if I can get a good job that manages to fit around that it'd be ideal. I wouldn't have an issue with a long-term partner who I completely trusted being the main money-earner though.
Original post by ailashes
I'm a bit confused by your response to Anon's post. He/she never said that he/she only finds his/her boyfriend attractive because of his masculinity. He/she is probably attracted to him for other reasons, such as intelligence, sense of humour, similar interests, looks, kindness, or any of a range of things. Maybe his "rough, blue collar masculinty" is one thing that Anon doesn't appreciate that much about him. I'm pretty sure he/she isn't just attracted to him because "society has programmed [him/her]" that way.

Thanks, you've just answered for me :smile: Clearly OP seems to see relationships through a sterile and unfeeling lens.
Original post by PPF
You see i'm not doubting the existence of comparative advantage. But overall those subjects require a much higher level of intelligence.

3rd Year UG BSc Economics. 20 Years Old.

So what is intelligence to you, Sir Master of All Knowledge on Every Subject at 20 Years Old?
Original post by onegeargo
Why did you get that degree when you knew how little money you would earn? You know you're contributing to the gender wage gap feminists always complain about, right?

well I'm not someone who complains about a gender wage gap so I don't see why I should pursue a career which doesn't interest me in order to make someone else happy?

I'm happy in the career direction I'm going right now, that means quite some time on a very low wage, eventually I will have a decent wage but I will never be a high earner - that really doesn't bother me if it means a career I enjoy, I will have enough to live comfortably and not be constantly worrying about money and that's enough - this does mean my partner is virtually guaranteed to out earn me as he studied a STEM degree with very high career prospects but that's his choice
Personally, if I were to marry, I'd actually prefer being the main bread winner. You know, 'cause ego and all that (don't think I could handle a spouse earning more than me tbh)

Original post by PPF
x

Vet med and Dentistry? Seriously? You have no idea how stressful these courses are, simmer back down son.
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
So what is intelligence to you, Sir Master of All Knowledge on Every Subject at 20 Years Old?

Hmm. I think you've misunderstood my point. I am in no way belittling people who study those subjects, rather, they are very valuable to the society we live in. For example, mental health issues are on a rise and therefore psychologists can play an important role there.

However, just because they are important, it doesn't make them difficult. They are only MM in terms of their difficulty, not their importance. Any reasonable human could study those subjects and gain a decent understanding. In contrast, mathematics and physics require a certain high level of intelligence and not everyone can study those subjects.

You just have to realize that naturally some people are more intelligent and/or hardworking than others. It doesn't make them superior in terms of the law but mentally, yes they are superior...
Reply 30
Original post by Another
Personally, if I were to marry, I'd actually prefer being the main bread winner. You know, 'cause ego and all that (don't think I could handle a spouse earning more than me tbh)

Vet med and Dentistry? Seriously? You have no idea how stressful these courses are, simmer back down son.

If something is stressful it doesn't necessarily make it mentally/conceptually more challenging. I could have 10,000 GCSE scripts to mark in one night. Yes, that's stressful, but the actual marking isn't hard. It just requires time and a bit of effort.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PPF
If something is stressful it doesn't necessarily make it mentally/conceptually more challenging. I could have 10,000 GCSE scripts to mark in one night. Yes, that's stressful, but the actual marking isn't hard. It just requires time and a bit of effort.

Vet Med is neither mentally or conceptually challenging? Nor hard? I'm not entirely sure you're aware of what a science based degree entails

I could equally argue that maths type subjects "aren't mentally challenging" - after all, you learn some equations and number theories, learn the concepts behind it, apply them, rinse and repeat.
Original post by PPF
Hmm. I think you've misunderstood my point. I am in no way belittling people who study those subjects, rather, they are very valuable to the society we live in. For example, mental health issues are on a rise and therefore psychologists can play an important role there.

However, just because they are important, it doesn't make them difficult. They are only MM in terms of their difficulty, not their importance. Any reasonable human could study those subjects and gain a decent understanding. In contrast, mathematics and physics require a certain high level of intelligence and not everyone can study those subjects.

You just have to realize that naturally some people are more intelligent and/or hardworking than others. It doesn't make them superior in terms of the law but mentally, yes they are superior...

intelligence
ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒ(ə)ns/
noun

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Reply 33
Original post by Frenspan14
intelligence
ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒ(ə)ns/
noun

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

What's your point?
Reply 34
Original post by doodle_333
well I'm not someone who complains about a gender wage gap so I don't see why I should pursue a career which doesn't interest me in order to make someone else happy?
I'm happy in the career direction I'm going right now, that means quite some time on a very low wage, eventually I will have a decent wage but I will never be a high earner - that really doesn't bother me if it means a career I enjoy, I will have enough to live comfortably and not be constantly worrying about money and that's enough - this does mean my partner is virtually guaranteed to out earn me as he studied a STEM degree with very high career prospects but that's his choice

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were a feminist. I apologize for assuming you were one
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PPF
What's your point?

So you can quantify the skills required to study Maths or Engineering and definitively conclude that you require less to study say Vet Sciences or languages? Have you completed a study on this? Some evidence sure would be appreciated...
Reply 36
Original post by Another
Vet Med is neither mentally or conceptually challenging? Nor hard? I'm not entirely sure you're aware of what a science based degree entails

I could equally argue that maths type subjects "aren't mentally challenging" - after all, you learn some equations and number theories, learn the concepts behind it, apply them, rinse and repeat.

This isn't going to lead us anywhere. To each their own. Although I know that I am right :biggrin::biggrin:

Out of interest, what are your thoughts on the gender wage gap? If we have to equally qualified individuals with gender being the only difference between them, would you expect/like them to earn the same wage?

Many firms pay females less because of maternity and all that comes with it. Therefore, they are of less value in the sense that they increase future uncertainty and so are paid less.

If you would argue in favor of an equal wage, would you be willing to introduce a formal pact whereby the woman agrees not to have a child for a certain period of time?

I know it sounds harsh but its a reality of the semi-capitalist society we live in.
When I got married I was the bigger earner and I honestly considered once we had children the option of working full time where he worked part time and raised the children. However having had my son the idea of working full time (especially in the job that I do which involves frequent nights and weekends) filled me with dread. As a couple for now we have decided that I will work part time as this will reduce the amount of antisocial hours that I have to work and therefore mean that I can spend more time with our son, my husband isn't hugely keen on working part time and spending the rest of the time doing child care (and also has more reasonable working hours and each evening, night and weekend off so will see plenty of him). I would rule out going back full time in the future when my children are at school but at the moment I think me staying at home with him two days a week is the best option for our family. Also just to point out looking after a 9 month old gives no time at all for my own hobbies or interests during the day.
Reply 38
Original post by Frenspan14
So you can quantify the skills required to study Maths or Engineering and definitively conclude that you require less to study say Vet Sciences or languages? Have you completed a study on this? Some evidence sure would be appreciated...

Yes. My study was based on the following assumptions.

Null Hypothesis: Mathematics and Physics require greater intelligence/skill than MM subjects. (MM subjects included a range of subjects/fields).

Alternative Hypothesis: There is no evidence to suggest that the Null should hold.

I carried out various regressions for which I can send you the results later. Literally every dummy variable had a negative coefficient when tested against Math and Physics individually. So if Math was the Y variable of intelligence (used various measures) in comparison to that level all other subjects had a negative coefficient on their dummies. So the collective group that studied English had a lower level of intelligence.

Moreover, we collected IQ scores of various groups. Number 1 was the Mathematician of between 116.5-120 (rounded)
Number 2 was the Physicist with around 116-119.5
Attorney was somewhere below 115 as was the IQ of Judges.
Psychologists came at below 110 and Professional Nurses were below 100.

As i said there were other measures and most were significant at the 5% level.
You could argue that there are selectivity biases etc but I am thinking of ways in which to improve the study. Hopefully will be amended/completed by January 2016.

Is this appreciated? :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PPF
Yes. My study was based on the following assumptions.

Null Hypothesis: Mathematics and Physics require greater intelligence/skill than MM subjects. (MM subjects included a range of subjects/fields).

Alternative Hypothesis: There is no evidence to suggest that the Null should hold.

I carried out various regressions for which I can send you the results later. Literally every dummy variable had a negative coefficient when tested against Math and Physics individually. So if Math was the Y variable of intelligence (used various measures) in comparison to that level all other subjects had a negative coefficient on their dummies. So the collective group that studied English had a lower level of intelligence.

Moreover, we collected IQ scores of various groups. Number 1 was the Mathematician of between 116.5-120 (rounded)
Number 2 was the Physicist with around 116-119.5
Attorney was somewhere below 115 as was the IQ of Judges.
Psychologists came at below 110 and Professional Nurses were below 100.

As i said there were other measures and most were significant at the 5% level.
You could argue that there are selectivity biases etc but I am thinking of ways in which to improve the study. Hopefully will be amended/completed by January 2016.

I await your results with great anticipation! :smile:

So as an Economics student, why exactly are you conducting a study on this? In addition, how many test subjects were involved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending