The Student Room Group

English language question 1

If i post an answer i did could someone tell me what mark i would get and how i could improve
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zact
If i post an answer i did could someone tell me what mark i would get and how i could improve
thanks

I can try! I'd need to see the source you used too, though.

I'm not exactly an English teacher but I got 8/8 in the mocks for this question so I'll give it a try.
Good:
-You've quoted and you have explained the text
-You've structured it into paragraphs which will help the examiner see you have enough points

Ways to improve:
- To get 5+ marks you really need to do some inference ie. read between the lines
- In the exam you may not have time for an introduction like you did in which cause don't do one because it doesn't gain you any marks
Reply 4
So what mark would it be around
Original post by zact
So what mark would it be around

Probably 4/5 ish
Reply 6
what is reading between the lines?
Original post by zact
what is reading between the lines?

It's basically going further than what the text literally means and talking about what the quote you've selected suggests.

Like say for your last quote you started to infer cause you said it was bad which isn't something that is said in the quote but you just had to take that a step further by saying something like 'this is bad because (insert quote here) this suggests that English landscape and wildlife is under threat and the wind farms are simply enhancing the issue and causing more harm than help.

Upon further review, I'd also advise you to follow the PEE structure (Point, Evidence, Explain) as this will make it easier for you to organise your answer and also do the inference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
if i send you another one could you remark it
I will just extend on the points i have already made
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zact
if i send you another one could you remark it
I will just extend on the points i have already made

Yeah, sure
Reply 10

6/7

Good = You're making inferences
Ways to improve = Make sure the inferences you're making are relevant to quote you are using (if you can't think of any inferences for a certain quote just use a different one) and this doesn't really get you marks but just structures it better - use connectives like Firstly, Secondly etc.

You should be spending about 12 mins writing the answer to this question (assuming about 5 minutes is spent reading the text)
Reply 12
How doo you answer question 2, like what is the structure etc
Original post by zact
How doo you answer question 2, like what is the structure etc

One paragraph: quote from title + explain then link to text with quote from text

Para two: As above

Para three: specific detail from image (eg. in the background you can see..., they are wearing..., there is a .. light etc.) + explain then link to text with quote from text

Para four: As above

Boom 8/8
Reply 14
Original post by saahil0987
One paragraph: quote from title + explain then link to text with quote from text

Para two: As above

Para three: specific detail from image (eg. in the background you can see..., they are wearing..., there is a .. light etc.) + explain then link to text with quote from text

Para four: As above

Boom 8/8

Errr, are you not meant to talk about how it is effective too?
Original post by Cherx
Errr, are you not meant to talk about how it is effective too?

No specific marks for that as far as I'm aware but I still do that in the explanation bit just to be safe - I just explain it like I would but before I'd just say something like 'this is effective because..' then explain it as normal
Reply 16
if u send a picture of my answer could you mark it
Yeah sure, probably tomorrow morning tho now.
Reply 18
ok thanks
Reply 19
Original post by saahil0987
No specific marks for that as far as I'm aware but I still do that in the explanation bit just to be safe - I just explain it like I would but before I'd just say something like 'this is effective because..' then explain it as normal

So what would it be out of 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending