The Student Room Group

£19k ACA Starting Salary at a small firm

So I have the above offer which I will probably take. The firm is in the Home Counties and isn't near the top 100 accountancy age firms I don't think.

It has about 8/9 Chartered Accountants and employs a total of 50 people.

Is that a decent salary given its size? I'm a bit worried what might happen at the end of the contract as my salary will increase and I'm not sure what chances there will be for progression, if any.
Reply 1
That's quite decent salary wise considering the size of the firm. For career progression, it really depends on the firm. I know some small firms who expect their newly qualifieds to leave soon after qualifying as they simply don't have the resources to keep them. However, some firms may keep you on depending on growth. Probably something you should have asked at the interview stage.
Original post by wannabeaca
So I have the above offer which I will probably take. The firm is in the Home Counties and isn't near the top 100 accountancy age firms I don't think.

Is that a decent salary given its size? I'm a bit worried what might happen at the end of the contract as my salary will increase and I'm not sure what chances there will be for progression, if any.

You could just move into a Big Four firm after qualifying. Lots of people move from smaller firms to Big Four once they get their ACA as the Big Four's own graduates are running out the door once they get those 3 letters behind their name.
Reply 3
Original post by snakesnake
You could just move into a Big Four firm after qualifying. Lots of people move from smaller firms to Big Four once they get their ACA as the Big Four's own graduates are running out the door once they get those 3 letters behind their name.

Can vouch for this - Not started my ACA yet but I know way too many people moving from practice to industry after qualifying. Retention rates for big 4 are pretty abysmal.
Original post by Kre
Can vouch for this - Not started my ACA yet but I know way too many people moving from practice to industry after qualifying. Retention rates for big 4 are pretty abysmal.

Not just industry- lots go into financial services/banking as well. I don't understand those people who spend their time in audit dissing it/financial reporting....only to end up becoming a financial accountant themselves.
Reply 5
Original post by wannabeaca

I'd say its pretty good for the size of the firm. I attended an interview for a top 50 firm and they told me they paid £16k.
Reply 6
Original post by Tbx
I'd say its pretty good for the size of the firm. I attended an interview for a top 50 firm and they told me they paid £16k.

That seems awfully low... what region was this?
Reply 7
Original post by Kre
That seems awfully low... what region was this?

East Anglia, safe to say it put me off during my interview :laugh:.
Reply 8
Original post by Tbx
East Anglia, safe to say it put me off during my interview :laugh:.

:eek: Surprised they even specified before giving an offer, that must have driven people away. Although not too sure if that's normal for East Anglia... can certainly say it's pretty poor for the South East!
Reply 9
Original post by Kre
:eek: Surprised they even specified before giving an offer, that must have driven people away. Although not too sure if that's normal for East Anglia... can certainly say it's pretty poor for the South East!

Yes I was surprised they told me that information, perhaps it was part of the interview (that I failed).

I read on an old thread that Larking Gowen were paying £16.5k in 2008, but I hadn't heard of LB until this January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending