The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
It's dawned on me how much I can't afford London, so UCL's been demoted to below Warwick. :tongue: If I get an offer though, I'll definitely check it out before making a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you see as the main differences in costs? Is it all about accommodation?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Look,Yes,But,See
What do you see as the main differences in costs? Is it all about accommodation?

Everything costs more in London, and because I live in Scotland, I don't even get the London weighting added to my student finance.

For instance, the recommeded budget given by UCL is ~£13k, which includes £150/week for accommodation, £50 a week for food, £21 a week for an oyster card, then like £80 a week for leisure stuff, £8-10 a week for household stuff. All of this given a 39 week agreement.

If I were to go catered, it'd be about 180/week for accommodation.

Whilst the max I can get (being from a low income family) is like £7.5k and a £2k bursary - leaving me about £3-4k below the recommended budget.

I think it's possible to get cheaper accommodation but you'd need to go pretty far away from campus, thus increasing your travelling costs.
Reply 782
Do I have a chance of getting into UCL Law? My predictions are good but I'm not confident in my grades.

Gcse's: 4A*, 3A and 3B's
As: AABB (exceptional circumstances for one of the B's)
A2 prediction: A* A* A
Is there anybody else applying with really weak UMS and feeling really nervous? I only averaged 80.6%/80.0% (depending on how modules are moved around) in further maths and I am s w e a t i n g.
Also:
Applying for Mathematics
AS: AAAB Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively
GCSEs: 3A*, 4A and 4Bs
Predicted:A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)
(edited 8 years ago)
Applying for Geology Masters
AS: ABBC in Geography, Biology, Chemistry and Economics
Predicted:AAB (Geography, Biology and Chemistry)

Applied for deferred 2017 entry at; Manchester, UCL, Durhum, St Andrews and Exeter

Got interview from Manchester

Any chance of offers from others?

thanks in advance !
Reply 785
Original post by halfhearted
Ahh well done! what was your offer??
underneath where it says the conditions of the offer it says 'you must attend the department's open day, about which the department will contact you shortly', but i'm still waiting for the information about that.
It also says the exact same thing in the letter

Have you got your offer letter yet? I had my offer through track last week, but the proper letter hasn't cone through yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Padc
Have you got your offer letter yet? I had my offer through track last week, but the proper letter hasn't cone through yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

The track update IS your offer, anything else is just a nicety.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 787
The track update IS your offer, anything else is just a nicety.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd still like the letter though just cos it'd be cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's dawned on me how much I can't afford London, so UCL's been demoted to below Warwick. :tongue: If I get an offer though, I'll definitely check it out before making a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn seriously? Surely if you study at UCL though you'll be able to pay it all back in the future?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh damn seriously? Surely if you study at UCL though you'll be able to pay it all back in the future?

It's not about paying back. If you scroll up, you'll see why I can't afford it.

The uni doesn't determine one's salary. You can apply for and get the same high paying jobs from most decent unis. It's interesting though, because the average salary upon graduating tells you more about the types of jobs/the location students choose rather than your likelihood of getting the same.
I applied for Maths and Econ at LSE,Warwick,Bath,UCL and Surrey. Applied on the 22nd got offers from Warwick and Surrey by the 29th.
My PS is a 50:50 split between Maths and Econ but at UCL i applied for Maths with Econ which is a 75:25 split, will it matter that my PS has more econ/less maths than expected for this course?
Also
Gcses: 9A*s 5As
As Levels: 4As
A2 predictions: 3A*s and A in EPQ
Thanks
Original post by idk12345
I applied for Maths and Econ at LSE,Warwick,Bath,UCL and Surrey. Applied on the 22nd got offers from Warwick and Surrey by the 29th.
My PS is a 50:50 split between Maths and Econ but at UCL i applied for Maths with Econ which is a 75:25 split, will it matter that my PS has more econ/less maths than expected for this course?
Also
Gcses: 9A*s 5As
As Levels: 4As
A2 predictions: 3A*s and A in EPQ
Thanks

It won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not about paying back. If you scroll up, you'll see why I can't afford it.

The uni doesn't determine one's salary. You can apply for and get the same high paying jobs from most decent unis. It's interesting though, because the average salary upon graduating tells you more about the types of jobs/the location students choose rather than your likelihood of getting the same.

Ah okay so you're part of a very particular case that seems a little unfair, I see :/ Sorry about that!

There's a strong correlation okay xD Obviously going to a Uni doesn't guarentee you a certain salary, but the correlation is strong enough to say "If you try your best, you will be earning around that value too" xD
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Ah okay so you're part of a very particular case that seems a little unfair, I see :/ Sorry about that!

There's a strong correlation okay xD Obviously going to a Uni doesn't guarentee you a certain salary, but the correlation is strong enough to say "If you try your best, you will be earning around that value too" xD

Not really. The correlation exists because more people at the top universities are a ware of the high paying jobs, by virtue of that more people from these unis will apply and receive these jobs. I think the real correlation is in the process, people at top univetsities 'on average' will be more intelligent and are able to pass the various numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and extremely demanding brainteaser interview questions that accompany the selection processes for many of these roles.

So the correlation itself is not to do with the university, as such, but it is to do with the calibre of individuals at these unis. If someone was of the same calibre (intellectually) but chose to attend a lower ranking university, they'd still be able to nab a lot the same roles.

So whenever I hear: oh you got into x school, you'll be rich in no time' It's really meant to be: 'wow you must be smart, you'll have no problem landing a job'.

Sorry for the long winded tangent. lol
Hi, I got an offer for physics yesterday, without interview. It says I have to go to an open day in order to accept the offer, but i'm still waiting for more info on that, so i'll try and let you know when i know more

When did you send your application? I sent mine on the 15th for physics but still haven't heard back :/
Original post by iscribbletoomuch
When did you send your application? I sent mine on the 15th for physics but still haven't heard back :/

sent mine on the 13th. I wouldn't worry too much, UCL are notorious for giving offers really really late
Original post by WASG
Is this on UCAS or portico? Still can't find anything like that. Plus every time I try to click on the offer letter in portico it takes me a blank page with two links to return to offer page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is UCAS. I had the same problem with portico.
sent mine on the 13th. I wouldn't worry too much, UCL are notorious for giving offers really really late

Ahh okay, I guess it's just a waiting game :P Thanks!
Original post by Padc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by WASG
I got an a straight offer yesterday as well. 😀. Where exactly does it say that you have to attend the open day thingy and when is it. I can't seem to open my offer letter, is it in there? Thanks and congrats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go on Portico, press view on the application, and at the top there should be something like this:

Offer > Application process > More about UCL > Frequently asked questions > Emails

Press offer, there you should see your offer and be able to see your 'offer letter'
Reply 799
Original post by edothero
Go on Portico, press view on the application, and at the top there should be something like this:

Offer > Application process > More about UCL > Frequently asked questions > Emails

Press offer, there you should see your offer and be able to see your 'offer letter'

Yes I see that but when I click on the offer letter it takes me to a blank page with two links that say return to offer page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending