The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Advice for LSE/UCL

Hi everyone.

Looking to submit an application in the next cycle (2024) for LSE and UCL. I was wondering where to start in terms of getting a very good personal statement together.

I have heard LSE in particular hold incredibly high weighting with their personal statements and want to make sure I can submit a good one.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks
Reply 1
Organise your personal statement with a logical flow and coherence throughout. Identify your academic strengths and any experiences that demonstrate your suitability but don't make it looks like an extended version of your CV. You don't have to include every single details, just highlight the ones that make you stand out. Avoid generic statements and provide evidence to support your claims. You can tell them what you learned from your readings or lecture that makes you want to apply for the course. After writing your draft, ask for feedback from your tutors, advisors or someone with a relevant experience.
LSE course pages have very clear information about what they look for in a PS
Reply 3
Second attempt for both LSE and UCL this coming year - feedback wasn't hugely informative either - just too many high quality applicants. Back to the drawing board for me.
Hi does anyone know if UCL allows deferred entry for a gap year as I have heard they don't and am not sure if it worth applying to if they don't allow deferred entry.
Original post by ellawheeler
Hi does anyone know if UCL allows deferred entry for a gap year as I have heard they don't and am not sure if it worth applying to if they don't allow deferred entry.

Different UCL courses have different preferences. Which course do you want to apply to?

As above, depends on the course. I have an offer for deferred entry from UCL from last year, to start in this coming fall. So obviously some courses/departments do not have a problem with it.
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, depends on the course. I have an offer for deferred entry from UCL from last year, to start in this coming fall. So obviously some courses/departments do not have a problem with it.

I am thinking about applying to earth sciences.

Do they allow it just for a gap year or do you need special circumstances?
Or does it depend on whether the course is humanities or sciences?
I am thinking about applying to earth sciences.

Do they allow it just for a gap year or do you need special circumstances?
Or does it depend on whether the course is humanities or sciences?

Per their own policies: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply

"We welcome applications from students wanting to spend a pre-university (gap) year engaged in constructive activity, whether in the UK or abroad.

Apply for deferred entry and your application will be considered a year ahead of the normal application timetable.

The only exception is for our BA and BFA Fine Art programmes, which do not allow deferred entry.

It is only possible to defer your entry by one year. An application cannot be deferred twice. This includes applicants that originally selected deferred entry in their UCAS application.

If your country requires you to take part in national military service, see our Guidance for International Applicants."

Emphasis mine. So since you aren't applying to a programme at the Slade, you're fine.
Per their own policies: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply

"We welcome applications from students wanting to spend a pre-university (gap) year engaged in constructive activity, whether in the UK or abroad.

Apply for deferred entry and your application will be considered a year ahead of the normal application timetable.

The only exception is for our BA and BFA Fine Art programmes, which do not allow deferred entry.

It is only possible to defer your entry by one year. An application cannot be deferred twice. This includes applicants that originally selected deferred entry in their UCAS application.

If your country requires you to take part in national military service, see our Guidance for International Applicants."

Emphasis mine. So since you aren't applying to a programme at the Slade, you're fine.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending