The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
They don't interview, they're one of 5 choices on the UCAS form, most people who apply have decent academic records, there are quite a lot of places up for grabs etc.

I think UCL has less places and probably more applicants, in addition to the fact they occasionally interview.

Most people would be surprised at the offer rates of non-interview courses with ample numbers of places. The important thing is to note that it's all relative. If you don't stack up well against the competition, you won't get an offer - that competition can vary from year to year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to say I still can't believe it. On their email it said "approximately 1 in 10", I see no reason why they would lie about that sort of thing. And they definitely can't be so far mislead that the information they gave me was 50% away from that of which? .
We're going to have to agree to disagree.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Anybody applied or has an offer for Economics, Business and Eastern European Studies?
Anyone have an offer for astophysics?
Original post by Economistician
I'm sorry to say I still can't believe it. On their email it said "approximately 1 in 10", I see no reason why they would lie about that sort of thing. And they definitely can't be so far mislead that the information they gave me was 50% away from that of which? .
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

That would be lower than LSE's and scarily close to Oxford's.. It's not 1/10 bro, that's probably applicant to place ratio. It's that of UCAS, Which? just pay for access to the data.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone will choose Warwick or UCL so they need to over offer (in comparison to the places they have) for the calculus, of the percentage that firm them and those that insure them but miss their firm, to check out.

UCL's numbers make sense as it's about 850 offers for 237 places, I'm not sure of the exact numbers for Warwick.
Original post by abiofdoom
I've been invited too! Is it Tuesday 17th?? Surely they must have a few dates, but they literally said this is the only date they're doing and I won't get an offer unless I go (of course I'm going but is yours on the same day?!) I'm quite nervous ahah

So have I. What chemistry course did you apply for and what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 985
Any Biochemistry applicants?
Original post by reed98
Have any internationals received offers yet? I know it's quicker for us at Edinburgh, but not sure about UCL.

US student applying for Geography, to refresh your memory!

I'm from India applying for Civil Engineering and a senior of mine got in for the same course last year only in January and he had been predicted A*A*A*b, so overall a pretty competitive applicant. Which is why I think UCL is slower for us.

Applicants per place is useless info, look up the course on 'Which? University' and it should tell you the offer rate (in percentage).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, why do you say applicants per place is useless info?

I'm finding it hard to believe Which?Uni. The UCL prospectus claims my course has 7 applicants per place but Which?Uni claims that the success rate is 85%. 85%!!
Reply 987
That would be lower than LSE's and scarily close to Oxford's.. It's not 1/10 bro, that's probably applicant to place ratio. It's that of UCAS, Which? just pay for access to the data.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone will choose Warwick or UCL so they need to over offer (in comparison to the places they have) for the calculus, of the percentage that firm them and those that insure them but miss their firm, to check out.

UCL's numbers make sense as it's about 850 offers for 237 places, I'm not sure of the exact numbers for Warwick.

Universities really try to mislead people on how popular their courses are. I applied to Economics and Politics at Bristol and on the website it says that in 2013/14 336 people applied, and in 2015/16 there are only 25 places. This makes it seem extremely popular and exclusive, but on university.which.co.uk it says 70% of applicants are made offers.
Anyone for a offer for Comp Sci?
Original post by starstuff
Anyone have an offer for astophysics?

I'm still waiting for regular physics :P Have you heard back?
Original post by Hamzy45
So have I. What chemistry course did you apply for and what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

the international programme! I got 4As at As (94% chems, 90% for Bio, maths and physics) and predicted 3A*s at A2 (dropped physics). What about you?
Original post by theonetruequeen
I'm finding it hard to believe Which?Uni. The UCL prospectus claims my course has 7 applicants per place but Which?Uni claims that the success rate is 85%. 85%!!

Which get their statistics straight from UCAS. As another poster has said, often universities make their courses sound much more competitive than they really are. (Remember places and offers can be very different numbers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just go on to Which? Uni mate, offer rates are right there for you to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure where Which get their stats from as they seem really off. They say 31% of applicant receive offer for economics at UCL but on UCL's own website they say only 1 in 12 receive an offer.
Reply 993
Original post by KAMurray
Im not sure where Which get their stats from as they seem really off. They say 31% of applicant receive offer for economics at UCL but on UCL's own website they say only 1 in 12 receive an offer.

It says there are 12 applicants per place, not that 1/12 gain an offer. They have to overall allocate some places as not everybody would take/make the offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theonetruequeen
I'm from India applying for Civil Engineering and a senior of mine got in for the same course last year only in January and he had been predicted A*A*A*b, so overall a pretty competitive applicant. Which is why I think UCL is slower for us.

Out of curiosity, why do you say applicants per place is useless info?

Omg, they have to give out more offers than they have places. The majority won't choose UCL as their firm choice and those who choose them as their insurance will not all miss their firm. Likewise, those who choose UCL as their firm will not all meet their offer. It's dependent on these numbers and what their eventual funnel looks like. The unis know this, they have models to tell them the shape of their funnel based on historical application data - it's just not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Manchester Met is one of the most applied to universities in the UK, with high applicants per place across the board for their courses; are they more competitive than UCL? No. Competitivity is based on the strength of the applicant pool, the total number of applicants vs the total number of offers, and the rigour of the application process (tests, interviews etc).

As I said, Which? can't be wrong. How in the world could data directly from UCAS be wrong? Come on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KAMurray

LOOOOOOL, it says applications per PLACE ON THE COURSE. If UCL gave out the same number of offers as places they would NEVER fill their course.

The numbers check out: 12 apps per place (12×237 = 2844 TOTAL applicants), (0.3×2844 = 853 TOTAL offers sent) then people choose firms, choose to reject UCL, proceed to miss their offer, choose them as an insurance - at the end we get the required number of students on the course.
Original post by h3110
Universities really try to mislead people on how popular their courses are. I applied to Economics and Politics at Bristol and on the website it says that in 2013/14 336 people applied, and in 2015/16 there are only 25 places. This makes it seem extremely popular and exclusive, but on university.which.co.uk it says 70% of applicants are made offers.

Exactly! They use applications per place ratios to make it seem like an impossibly difficult course to get on, when in actuality, if you have the required grades you'll get an offer most of the time. The exceptions are Oxbridge courses and medical/dental/vet med/education courses where the interviews/tests whittle down the applicant pool. Or, places like St Andrews and LSE where there just simply aren't enough spots to accommodate the mass loads of qualified applicants they get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kuroisora
Got an offer for Maths (4 years) 😬

Hey, I was just wondering when you applied if you don't mind?? Also, congrats on your offer!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 998
Exactly! They use applications per place ratios to make it seem like an impossibly difficult course to get on, when in actuality, if you have the required grades you'll get an offer most of the time. The exceptions are Oxbridge courses and medical/dental/vet med/education courses where the interviews/tests whittle down the applicant pool. Or, places like St Andrews and LSE where there just simply aren't enough spots to accommodate the mass loads of qualified applicants they get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Summed it up very well
Original post by RonnieRJ
Guys!! Got an offer for natural sciences!

Congrats, that's amazing! I've applied too, but I haven't heard anything yet:K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending