Pencil Queen
You don't learn it.

Back in the day my exam covered (IIRC):

General Knowledge/current affairs
Religious Knowledge
A second language
Maths
Spatial Awareness
Comprehension (of a scientific and sociological paper/essay)

all multiple choice questions

Plus 3 half hour essays arguing for a viewpoint and identifying the main arguements against and countering them.

thats another thing, our exam isnt multiple choice
we get part A which are short answer questions and part B which is the essay question

i cant believe u got to learn a language! i wish we could
Reply 21
piginapoke
Well what does social and cultural entail? What specifics?

politics and religion mainly, i dont know about other schools tho
in our school they just gave us videos to watch!
piginapoke
Aha, some useful stuff some not so useful.

It's a bit pub quizy in some respects.

I argued how computers would never replace books - mainly because they didn't smell right and weren't so much fun. :rolleyes:

I got an A, I know people who got much better "academic" a level grades than me who failed to get an E...to be honest that really worries me.
happysunshine
I've always thought GS looks interesting. But I get the feeling I could be wrong.

Its crap. I got seriously drunk for the exam as a protest for wasting 3 hours of my life and stil lachieved a C. One of my friends fell asleep for 45 mins in one of the papers and still came out with a D. GS is the qualification of dreams :smile:
Cellardore
thats another thing, our exam isnt multiple choice
we get part A which are short answer questions and part B which is the essay question

i cant believe u got to learn a language! i wish we could

We didn't get taught it.

I answered the questions on french despite studying german (not to GCSE level and only for 3 years) and latin (for a year).

I bought a teach yourself french book and learnt some of the key words so that I could make some sense out of a french passage.
General Studies is pointless, it's made up of all the subjects you're supposed to have learnt at GCSE.

The other A Levels provide more in depth general education anyway (e.g. in French, you have to read French newspapers, and understand the cultural affairs of the place, or you might need to use statistics in history).
Reply 26
Dr. Blazed
General Studies is pointless, it's made up of all the subjects you're supposed to have learnt at GCSE.

The other A Levels provide more in depth general <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=education&v=55">education</a> anyway (e.g. in French, you have to read French newspapers, and understand the cultural affairs of the place, or you might need to use statistics in history).

thats exactly wot i thought
Joey_Johns
Its crap. I got seriously drunk for the exam as a protest for wasting 3 hours of my life and stil lachieved a C. One of my friends fell asleep for 45 mins in one of the papers and still came out with a D. GS is the qualification of dreams :smile:

lol, what are you like?!

Surely it must be so easy that it's a fun test?
Reply 28
Pencil Queen
We didn't get taught it.

I answered the questions on french despite studying german (not to GCSE level and only for 3 years) and latin (for a year).

I bought a teach yourself french book and learnt some of the key words so that I could make some sense out of a french passage.

I answered the German but did GCSE French I'd only done a small amount of German. There were a list of three of four languages to choose from on the paper as I recall.

I liked GS you could have fun with it. I wrote about how the monarchy were that useless they should be consigned to a remote desert island and left there.

I read newspapers everyday in preparation and got hold of some language phrase books and practised maths and comprehension.
piginapoke
I wonder if any colleges round here do it as a night class, I might take it for a daft laugh.

I gave my mum a past paper and she got 100%....really narked me - I was really proud of my 95% :rolleyes:
Pencil Queen
I gave my mum a past paper and she got 100%....really narked me - I was really proud of my 95% :rolleyes:

Actually thinking back I think I was trying to prove to her how interesting and non-pointless GS was when I made her do that.

Should have known not to mess with the Maghull Town Hall Pub Quiz Team Leader :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Pencil Queen
It's a bit pub quizy in some respects.

I argued how computers would never replace books - mainly because they didn't smell right and weren't so much fun. :rolleyes:

I got an A, I know people who got much better "academic" a level grades than me who failed to get an E...to be honest that really worries me.

Why does it worry you?
Reply 32
bratcat
Why does it worry you?

Because GS is examining people in basic skills. Its worrying that some very academic people lack the basic skills, which are essentially life skills.
Reply 33
viviki
Because GS is examining <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=55">people</a> in basic skills. Its worrying that some very academic <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=55">people</a> lack the basic skills, which are essentially life skills.

it was actually talkin about that on a documentary the other day
happysunshine
lol, what are you like?!

Surely it must be so easy that it's a fun test?

No really, there is too much writing for what it is worth, it isn't just the 3 hours you waste in an exam hall (well 3.5 hrs after all the messing about you do) you have to these practice papers in the weeks leading up to the exam which are all writing too, not my cup of tea when there is no need.
Reply 35
piginapoke
Hehe its only £100 and self study too, I wonder how fast I can do it?

Is that at your local college. I am thinking of doing an AS next year for fun and cant decide what to do.
Reply 36
how about psychology?
altho ppl either love it or hate it
viviki
Is that at your local college. I am thinking of doing an AS next year for fun and cant decide what to do.

I always fancied sociology...always found that stuff quite interesting but never had a chance to get my teeth into it.
Reply 38
Pencil Queen
I always fancied sociology...always found that stuff quite interesting but never had a chance to get my teeth into it.

no!!!
i took that at the begining of september and it was really difficult
plus the ppl that did it for their mock exam in my school got, i think E was the highest anywayz...lol
Cellardore
no!!!
i took that at the begining of september and it was really difficult
plus the ppl that did it for their mock exam in my school got, i think E was the highest anywayz...lol

I'm not worried about things being difficult - I've got my A levels and my degree...I'm just interested in studying a subject I've not really looked into before - one which interests me.

Latest