The Student Room Group

GCSE Computing OCR

Scroll to see replies

You are definitely allowed a calculator for OCR GCSE Computing. In fact, you're allowed a calculator in all exams unless stated otherwise, provided it abides by the rules set out by JCQ.

However, I'd strongly recommend you don't use it to do the binary and hex conversions (given your calculator has that function). Obviously you can use it to check your answer, but marks are awarded based on your workings.
Original post by aamirac
Ikr :s-smilie:

The examboards should really talk with each other to avoid clashes and and dates. :K:

Exactly, they are both demanding subjects that require you to memories a vast amount of information, they should have done Computing and Maths...only if it was necessary for two exams to be on the same day!:hmmmm:
Original post by Marina-B
Exactly, they are both demanding subjects that require you to memories a vast amount of information, they should have done Computing and Maths...only if it was necessary for two exams to be on the same day!:hmmmm:

Oh gosh yes, geography is okay ish (failed skills) but both do require a lot o memorising-I agree. Oh well life I suppose...At least we have human to do better in.

So weird too, as computing is the only subject I do that requires only one exam 😂
Original post by aamirac
Oh gosh yes, geography is okay ish (failed skills) but both do require a lot o memorising-I agree. Oh well life I suppose...At least we have human to do better in.

So weird too, as computing is the only subject I do that requires only one exam 😂

I agree, I mean as long as we are healthy and living...i mean good grades would be sweet to hehe, good luck :wink:
Original post by Marina-B
I agree, I mean as long as we are healthy and living...i mean good grades would be sweet to hehe, good luck :wink:

Not even healthy.... Just merely living to do the exam :colondollar: :headfire:
Oh and Good luck to you too.:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
Not even healthy.... Just merely living to do the exam :colondollar: :headfire:
Oh and Good luck to you too.:h:

what are you aiming for? I'm trying to get an A*
Original post by AnaDiamandis

Same here, although I highly doubt I will get it. But I'm aiming high so I can push myself to do better. (I don't think I've got A* for any of my subjects so far :no:)
Nevertheless Good luck in achieving your A* though!!!

Original post by aamirac
Same here, although I highly doubt I will get it. But I'm aiming high so I can push myself to do better. (I don't think I've got A* for any of my subjects so far :no:)

what did you get for the 2 pieces of coursework? Its really hard to get an A* for computing since coursework hold 60% and tbh this years coursework was bloody hard
Original post by aamirac

Thank you!! I hope you get the grade you want :h:
Original post by Synonym
what did you get for the 2 pieces of coursework? Its really hard to get an A* for computing since coursework hold 60% and tbh this years coursework was bloody hard

We do our coursework kind of slid idk if you do the same so 30% python, 30% app inventor, my teacher has marked the app inventor and sent it to the exam board and she said that I'm around an A*(I attended many after school coursework sessions). But I wasn't that strong with Python in comparison to app inventor, I think it's just the teacher since I'm the only girl in the class :s-smilie: (we have 2 teachers) I still attended nearly every after school sessions. How do you think you did on the coursework ??
We do our coursework kind of slid idk if you do the same so 30% python, 30% app inventor, my teacher has marked the app inventor and sent it to the exam board and she said that I'm around an A*(I attended many after school coursework sessions). But I wasn't that strong with Python in comparison to app inventor, I think it's just the teacher since I'm the only girl in the class :s-smilie: (we have 2 teachers) I still attended nearly every after school sessions. How do you think you did on the coursework ??

same i did the app inventor and python one
Original post by Synonym

I got BB in my coursework. I did one of the old ones about encryption and a python one. Yeah we weren't allowed to do it after school or outside lesson time because it was a CA or that my teacher is unfair. Otherwise I would've done a lot better. Lol. I need to basically get A* in the exam alone to get an A/A*. Coursework wasn't too bad, especially when you can find the original work online in ten minutes.
Original post by aamirac
I got BB in my coursework. I did one of the old ones about encryption and a python one. Yeah we weren't allowed to do it after school or outside lesson time because it was a CA or that my teacher is unfair. Otherwise I would've done a lot better. Lol. I need to basically get A* in the exam alone to get an A/A*. Coursework wasn't too bad, especially when you can find the original work online in ten minutes.

has OCR already marked your coursework and sent back the results? :redface:

I'm getting moderated for the python coursework and I thought ocr send/give their verdict if they agree/disagree with the results of the coursework given by the school in July ?
Reply 74
Can someone help me with these questions? My teacher didn't even teach us properly
1)how does the computer distinguish between instructions and data?
2)definition of :
a)integrity
b)MAC addressing
c)IP addressing
d)reliability
e)module (databases)
f)formatting
3)describe flash memory
thanks

Nah, these are just provisional using the teachers marks scheme. I got my teacher and another teacher to mark it and they both said BB. (I just hope my encryption one is an A though as I was only five marks off,)
Though I am a little concerned on who the examiner is going be... When they mark my paper, especially for that algorithm question! :ahee:
Even the markscheme is wrong sometimes... Which worries me
Original post by gbhalla
Can someone help me with these questions? My teacher didn't even teach us properly
1)how does the computer distinguish between instructions and data?
2)definition of :
a)integrity
b)MAC addressing
c)IP addressing
d)reliability
e)module (databases)
f)formatting
3)describe flash memory
thanks

Yeah this is from the exam spec. My teacher didn't teach us a sentence of this, but I know I can't just rely on the teacher, that's why I REVISED (during this half term and throughout the year). Teach ICT, Bitesize (even though it doesn't help me as much) etc. Research, make cue cards (life saver) etc. I do not recommend going on a forum and asking what things mean, just helping :smile:
Original post by aamirac
Nah, these are just provisional using the teachers marks scheme. I got my teacher and another teacher to mark it and they both said BB. (I just hope my encryption one is an A though as I was only five marks off,)
Though I am a little concerned on who the examiner is going be... When they mark my paper, especially for that algorithm question! :ahee:
Even the markscheme is wrong sometimes... Which worries me

they probably got it from the 2014 mark scheme, anyway grade boundaries do changee so.. :banana:
Reply 78
Yeah this is from the exam spec. My teacher didn't teach us a sentence of this, but I know I can't just rely on the teacher, that's why I REVISED (during this half term and throughout the year). Teach ICT, Bitesize (even though it doesn't help me as much) etc. Research, make cue cards (life saver) etc. I do not recommend going on a forum and asking what things mean, just helping :smile:

I understand most of it. Im quite unsure about the first question (about distinguishing betyween data and instructions)as differentsources say different things so Im unsure wat i should learn
Original post by gbhalla
I understand most of it. Im quite unsure about the first question (about distinguishing betyween data and instructions)as differentsources say different things so Im unsure wat i should learn

Whatever the spec says it is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending