The Student Room Group

Transfer to USA

Hey everyone,

Quick question(s), I'm thinking of transferring after my first year however I'm thinking of transferring to the USA (where it is a lot more usual to transfer in between years). I guess my main question is whether or not any one has had experience with this? I don't know if certain credits will transfer and if it's even possible without having to just retake the first year.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Financial aid for international freshmen is limited. Financial aid for international transfers is nearly nonexistent.
Original post by hay_gra
Hey everyone,

Quick question(s), I'm thinking of transferring after my first year however I'm thinking of transferring to the USA (where it is a lot more usual to transfer in between years). I guess my main question is whether or not any one has had experience with this? I don't know if certain credits will transfer and if it's even possible without having to just retake the first year.

Thank you!

Hi there!

I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Not only is it highly unlikely for you to transfer your credits (unless you have good grades for the relevant modules to the programme that you are applying for); it would be difficult to explain why you would want to transfer to the US. You will most likely have to complete the SAT or ACT if you haven't done so, and you will also have to find sufficient funds for your tuition fees and accommodation (note that you will not qualify for US loans unless you have a guarantor willing to co-sign).
Reply 3
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Hi there!

I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Not only is it highly unlikely for you to transfer your credits (unless you have good grades for the relevant modules to the programme that you are applying for); it would be difficult to explain why you would want to transfer to the US. You will most likely have to complete the SAT or ACT if you haven't done so, and you will also have to find sufficient funds for your tuition fees and accommodation (note that you will not qualify for US loans unless you have a guarantor willing to co-sign).

Thanks for that! I actually spent my last 2 years of high school at an American school school. I graduated with a 3.7, got a 29 on the act and have a few AP 4's and 5's up my sleeve. I'm not sure how much that will help credit wise? As for the co-signer I might be stumped but I might have 1 or 2 possible options. I can definitely see it being difficult though.
Original post by hay_gra
Thanks for that! I actually spent my last 2 years of high school at an American school school. I graduated with a 3.7, got a 29 on the act and have a few AP 4's and 5's up my sleeve. I'm not sure how much that will help credit wise? As for the co-signer I might be stumped but I might have 1 or 2 possible options. I can definitely see it being difficult though.

Well, your grades are definitely good enough. However, I think they are going to look more at your university grades, since you are transferring. With that being said, I don't think it would hurt giving it a try. If you got a really good grade in uni (1st), then some universities might offer scholarships.
Reply 5
Alright, thank you so much for your input!
Reply 6
If you got a really good grade in uni (1st), then some universities might offer scholarships.
At the risk of being a Negative Nancy again, note that most colleges reserve the bulk of their scholarships for freshmen. Merit scholarships for transfer students (especially large ones) are relatively few and far between.
Reply 7
I'm not too concerned about financing, I can get a loan and would most likely have a co-signer. It's more a question of whether they would accept me as a Sophomore (2nd year). But again, thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by hay_gra
Hey everyone,

Thank you!

You can transfer if you already started your first year at uni. The requirements vary by university though - some unis require that you finish 60 semester/90 quarter units (the equivalent of two years study) before applying to transfer and others allow you to transfer before that. Check the university's undergraduate page before you do anything.

As far as the SAT or ACT, you won't need to take it. That's only for those applying for their first year of university. They may ask for the scores if you did take it though. They might also ask to see your high school grades, especially if you haven't completed two years of study yet.

As for the transferability of the credits you've already earned at your home university, you should contact the undergraduate admissions office at the US university and speak to an advisor. That person will determine what courses will transfer and which won't and again, it will be different for each university.

If you are currently studying at a university in the UK, it is very possible that if you transfer, your first year in the US will be very close to what a freshman year looks like. You said you studied high school in the US so I am assuming you are familiar with what the General Education requirements are in the US university. Those classes you need to take and complete within your first two years concurrently with the classes for your major. Having said that it doesn't mean it will push you back a year. If any of your courses transfer, you might be done a semester or quarter early or have fewer classes to take in your final semester. :smile: (Once you have spoken to the admissions officer about which of your courses will transfer, you can check the degree requirements for your major on the uni's website to see how long it will take you to finish your degree and if you will finish on time).

Good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by apple32
You can transfer if you already started your first year at uni. The requirements vary by university though - some unis require that you finish 60 semester/90 quarter units (the equivalent of two years study) before applying to transfer and others allow you to transfer before that. Check the university's undergraduate page before you do anything.

As far as the SAT or ACT, you won't need to take it. That's only for those applying for their first year of university. They may ask for the scores if you did take it though. They might also ask to see your high school grades, especially if you haven't completed two years of study yet.

As for the transferability of the credits you've already earned at your home university, you should contact the undergraduate admissions office at the US university and speak to an advisor. That person will determine what courses will transfer and which won't and again, it will be different for each university.

If you are currently studying at a university in the UK, it is very possible that if you transfer, your first year in the US will be very close to what a freshman year looks like. You said you studied high school in the US so I am assuming you are familiar with what the General Education requirements are in the US university. Those classes you need to take and complete within your first two years concurrently with the classes for your major. Having said that it doesn't mean it will push you back a year. If any of your courses transfer, you might be done a semester or quarter early or have fewer classes to take in your final semester. :smile: (Once you have spoken to the admissions officer about which of your courses will transfer, you can check the degree requirements for your major on the uni's website to see how long it will take you to finish your degree and if you will finish on time).

Good luck

Wow you really know a lot about the topic, that was so helpful! It will definitely be a long process but I will make sure to contact the admissions people and see which universities best fit my situation and requirements!

Thank you thank you thank you!! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 10
This is a rather late reply, but since you took so much time to explain, I thought I'd give you the information. My finances are very much in order and will be able to cover what I need to pay back over the given period. I also know that an American college experience is expensive, but how expensive it is will depend on where I plan to go. For example, IF I chose Georgetown, I would be in a **** pile of debt, if I chose a university from Florida, especially the ones I've already contacted who would give me in-state since I graduated from there, would be a lot better.

Furthermore (and please do not take this as me bragging I'm simply stating the facts), my co-signer makes around 2 million a year and as far as I know has a credit score that exceeds 750 so I am confident I can cover :smile:

Thank you though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending