The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to apply for biology if I can't stand dissections?

After discovering maths and science subjects aren't as boring at A level as at GCSE, I've really started to enjoy them and am thinking to apply for Natural Sciences at Cambridge.
The problem is, I didn't take Physics or Further Maths (although I kinda wish I did) and can only pick up one as an AS next year so I'm kinda stuck with the 'biological side' of the course. I don't mind at all because Biology is the only science subject I've enjoyed since GCSE and I really like some aspects of it like classification, biochemistry and neuroscience.
The problem is, I can't stand the sight of animal insides. I get squeamish around blood and organs and I feel ill just thinking about the heart let alone dissecting one (partly because I have slight heart problems due to drinking too much caffeine but still, the fact remains). I 'talked' to a Director of Studies at one of the college's open days during Q&As and he joked about it lightheartedly but told me to reconsider whether I really have any interest in biology. It really put me down because I don't know what else to apply for.
I enjoy Chemistry and I know other good universities offer just Chemistry by itself but I would prefer to take a Natural Science course in case I change my mind about my interests again like I did with the transition from GCSE to AS. I was also thinking about taking Japanese before I started my AS courses but I've been self teaching it to myself for the past year and I don't think there's much point since I can read young adult novels (with aid from a dictionary for the obscure words) already. I'm not really an essay or people person so I don't think I'd suit arts/humanities subjects either.
Thoughts?
A natural sciences course or a pure chem one sounds more suited to your interests. If you're squeamish you may want to think about whether biology really does interest you unless you want to do something like ecology, bioinformatics or microbiology. Biochem you may still have to do dissections for and definitely for neuroscience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending