The Student Room Group

Working in Wales requires to speak welsh?

Hello I will be studying psychology in Bangor. Now i really loved wales and i was wondering if working there as a psychologist in the BPS will require me to speak welsh. Anyone with experience on this topic?
Reply 1
Original post by theo1jinx
Hello I will be studying psychology in Bangor. Now i really loved wales and i was wondering if working there as a psychologist in the BPS will require me to speak welsh. Anyone with experience on this topic?

Not unless it has already been stated to you. Only around a fifth of the residents of Wales speak Welsh as a first language, anyway, and those that do speak the language would likely speak English, too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
Not unless it has already been stated to you. Only around a fifth of the residents of Wales speak Welsh, anyway, and those that do speak the language would likely speak English, too.

Thanks for the feedback. What about teaching in a public school though?
Reply 3
I am going to be starting my clinical psychology doctorate this autumn at Bangor, which means I will be working across North Wales for my training placements, and I don't speak Welsh. It is not a prerequisite, but was stated to be a desirable skill for the Bangor training programme.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
What about teaching in a public school though?

You may need to speak Welsh if you are heading to a school that teaches through the Welsh medium, but you would probably be informed if this was the case. The majority of schools in Wales teach through the English medium, so you wouldn't need to speak brilliant Welsh, but of course they may prefer it if you did have a bit of familiarity of their culture- although it is by no means necessary for teaching in most schools.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Welsh my self, in the south it's not spoken at all, only the older generations know it,
Obviously us youngers do as well but not much, teachers down here don't know any or just basic things like numbers and date etc, now I can't say what your course would specify but just from a person who lives here only people in North Wales and the valleys speak it mostly, but like previously said, everyone here speaks fluent english anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by memifer
I am going to be starting my clinical psychology doctorate this autumn at Bangor, which means I will be working across North Wales for my training placements, and I don't speak Welsh. It is not a prerequisite, but was stated to be a desirable skill for the Bangor training programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2010-2013 BSc (hons) Forensic
Psychology & Criminal Justice, Liverpool John Moores University, 1st Class

2015-2018 DClinPsy Clinical Psychology, Bangor University

I'm also going to study Psychology UG Bachelor course starting this year in Bangor. Can you tell me whether the course is good?
Reply 7
Original post by Davalla
You may need to speak Welsh if you are heading to a school that teaches through the Welsh medium, but you would probably be informed if this was the case. The majority of schools in Wales teach through the English medium, so you wouldn't need to speak brilliant Welsh, but of course they may prefer it if you did have a bit of familiarity of their culture- although it is by no means necessary for teaching in most schools.

Ok thanks a lot for your feedback!
Reply 8
The leader of Plaid Cymru can't even speak Welsh, so I doubt you'll have to either.
Reply 9
Original post by meenu89
The leader of Plaid Cymru can't even speak Welsh, so I doubt you'll have to either.

Cheers Margaret. Are there people who speak only Welsh ? I'll probably end up working in a public post either teaching or counselling and I heard I do need to speak Welsh but I see that's not the case
Cheers Margaret. Are there people who speak only Welsh ? I'll probably end up working in a public post either teaching or counselling and I heard I do need to speak Welsh but I see that's not the case

i lived near bangor for 18 years, never met someone who only spoke welsh. As for school, there is a welsk langugage only school in bangor, however the majority go to the english speaking school.

saying that learning a little welsh would do no harm and theres always free classes you could take:smile:
Are there people who speak only Welsh ? I'll probably end up working in a public post either teaching or counselling and I heard I do need to speak Welsh but I see that's not the case

Not really. Although a lot of the older generation are more comfortable speaking Welsh than English. At university there was a guy from Gwynedd who was a Welsh first language speaker, his English wasn't that great at first because he rarely spoke it at home.

If you want to work in the public sector in Wales, especially North and West Wales, having a workable knowledge of Welsh would be beneficial.
Reply 12
Original post by claireestelle
i lived near bangor for 18 years, never met someone who only spoke welsh. As for school, there is a welsk langugage only school in bangor, however the majority go to the english speaking school.

saying that learning a little welsh would do no harm and theres always free classes you could take:smile:

Thanks for the feedback! What can you tell me about the quality of the University, since you live near
Reply 13
Original post by Swanbow
Not really. Although a lot of the older generation are more comfortable speaking Welsh than English. At university there was a guy from Gwynedd who was a Welsh first language speaker, his English wasn't that great at first because he rarely spoke it at home.

If you want to work in the public sector in Wales, especially North and West Wales, having a workable knowledge of Welsh would be beneficial.

Don't think the benefit is worth the trouble learning it. Looks so damn hard! Thank you for the feedback :smile:
Thanks for the feedback! What can you tell me about the quality of the University, since you live near

I moved away two years ago for uni, however I would say its meant to be a great uni for psychology:smile:

It is a very small city and a pretty small uni really so its all pretty cosy but theres everything you d need there i suppose and chester's only an hour away if you were bothered about shops.
Don't think the benefit is worth the trouble learning it. Looks so damn hard! Thank you for the feedback :smile:

its not so hard to learn once you understand the 29 letter alphabet :wink:
Reply 16
Learning Welsh is not mandatory, but it could open doors to other opportunities, as speaking Welsh would be a good skill to have. Also the Welsh Speakers do really like it if you told them you were learning (might merit you a free pint :wink: ).

Quick Reply

Latest