The Student Room Group

Suggestions for improving my look? :/ (pic)

Right, so... I'm really fed up. This may come across as a bit of a pathetic thread, however I don't generally wear make up aside from a tiny bit of eyeliner, mascara and blush if I feel like absolute crap. I stay away from foundation and all that jazz.
So I'm not just here for a 'ooh make me feel good about myself please' sort of thing.

I am genuinely getting quite down at my self for my lack of style in the way of grooming. 24, I do engineering, and I generally don't like my appearance so I tend quite often to make as minimal effort as possible. Linked to being a MASSIVE introvert.

I would absolutely love to have beautiful blonde hair which I could dye like pastel colours in, or something like that.
However, it's very thick, and very very dark. And my eyebrows don't allow much room for nice natural looking dyed hair.

So as someone who has very minimal experience in enhancing personal appearances, can some girls give me some advice?

Do you think I should dye it lighter? Also, I am quite aware I need to lose weight, that shows in my face I know. Another HUGE addition to a lack of confidence!

Halp? :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sticky0wl

Right, so... I'm really fed up. This may come across as a bit of a pathetic thread, however I don't generally wear make up aside from a tiny bit of eyeliner, mascara and blush if I feel like absolute crap. I stay away from foundation and all that jazz.
So I'm not just here for a 'ooh make me feel good about myself please' sort of thing.

I am genuinely getting quite down at my self for my lack of style in the way of grooming. 24, I do engineering, and I generally don't like my appearance so I tend quite often to make as minimal effort as possible. Linked to being a MASSIVE introvert.

I would absolutely love to have beautiful blonde hair which I could dye like pastel colours in, or something like that.
However, it's very thick, and very very dark. And my eyebrows don't allow much room for nice natural looking dyed hair.

So as someone who has very minimal experience in enhancing personal appearances, can some girls give me some advice?

Do you think I should dye it lighter? Also, I am quite aware I need to lose weight, that shows in my face I know. Another HUGE addition to a lack of confidence!

Halp? :frown:

As an introvert myself (although, I’m male), I sympathise with you. However, I think you’re being very critical of yourself. Perhaps you may even look better with your natural hair colour! Don’t be so hard on yourself, honest.

Although, if you are unconvinced. Do whatever you need to do to be comfortable with yourself, I guess.
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
As an introvert myself (although, I’m male), I sympathise with you. However, I think you’re being very critical of yourself. Perhaps you may even look better with your natural hair colour! Don’t be so hard on yourself, honest.

Although, if you are unconvinced. Do whatever you need to do to be comfortable with yourself, I guess.

I get what you mean. I think I am overly critical, but I always am. I'm just fed up of looking washed out, and what I feel is unattractive because of my lack of effort.

Sometimes, even though I still avoid talking to people, I feel more confident in going outside and being social if I have made the effort. But I feel quite self-conscious now I have started university. Surrounded by people who do 'make an effort' I feel I really ought to, and want to. It makes me feel happier, although it seems no matter what I try, I still feel it isn't 'me' if that makes sense? Or it doesn't feel like it suits me.

So I'm not sure what would suit me! Hence why I have hired the help of Student Rooms haha.
Reply 3
You are naturally quite beautiful, so I wouldn't personally suggest make up to enhance your look. Maybe lipstick?

You should get a hair cut, however. Perhaps, similar to this, with umbrae:

7d14ec7b01d74ed67c65d8584ca64bf8.jpg

Also, there are plenty of fashion blogs on how to dress slim. Just experiment with what you're comfortable with.
Are you fishing for compliments? Surely you might engineer with your appearance / style, change something into something else, but clearly you have this genetic thing going for you and so you will remain attractive.

You might want to lose weight but to be honest you're the perfect size in my opinion. Do not go blonde because you are too Mediterranean / middle eastern and it will look ridiculous. Also you are far more attractive like this to Nordic men.
Original post by Lil08
You are naturally quite beautiful, so I wouldn't personally suggest make up to enhance your look. Maybe lipstick?

You should get a hair cut, however. Perhaps, similar to this, with umbrae:

Also, there are plenty of fashion blogs on how to dress slim. Just experiment with what you're comfortable with.

OP is more attractive than the woman from the picture in my honest opinion.
Reply 6
Original post by William Pitt
Are you fishing for compliments? Surely you might engineer with your appearance / style, change something into something else, but clearly you have this genetic thing going for you and so you will remain attractive.

You might want to lose weight but to be honest you're the perfect size in my opinion. Do not go blonde because you are too Mediterranean / middle eastern and it will look ridiculous. Also you are far more attractive like this to Nordic men.

I'm actually not. That may or may not come across as me avoiding the truth, but I genuinely am not looking for compliments, haha. I am quite seriously looking for advice.

Compliments, while nice, however don't help me. Someone can say 'You look nice', but if the person in question doesn't feel happy or nice in themself, it actually has no impact - if that makes any sense!

I do however, appreciate your honest comments about the weight loss, and the hair colour! That was a very helpful comment, and I shall keep that in mind :smile:

I suppose because I am surrounded by quite thin, and very beautiful girls with lovely fair and pretty facial features, with long hair at my university (who are all much younger than me) I feel judged here, and want to stop being the 'scruffy fat housemate'.

Being on a course with 233 males, and 5 females is also quite scary when it comes to feeling judged.

Thank you, your comments were most helpful!
I'm a male and my suggestion would be rather than full blonde hair, have like darkish hair at the top and near the ends of the hair have it blend to a different colour like light brown / goldish / blondish. I've seen that on some girls, looks quite nice.
Reply 8
OP is more attractive than the woman from the picture in my honest opinion.

I'm not comparing nor suggesting that she should look like the women in the image. It's what I think would suite her.

If making a few changes makes her more confident about herself, then surely that's good?
Reply 9
Original post by LondonBrah_
I'm a male and my suggestion would be rather than full blonde hair, have like darkish hair at the top and near the ends of the hair have it blend to a different colour like light brown / goldish / blondish. I've seen that on some girls, looks quite nice.

Thank you! Yeah I was considering this actually. I don't think I could pull off the full blonde. Thank you for the comment!
Reply 10
Original post by Lil08
I'm not comparing nor suggesting that she should look like the women in the image. It's what I think would suite her.

If making a few changes makes her more confident about herself, then surely that's good?

Thank you for your suggestion! I did actually have a haircut like that before when I didn't weigh as much, and I did love it.

I've had short hair for ages though, so I'd love to grow it and have the ombre in with the blonde at the bottom. So I think I will keep that in mind! Thank you for the suggestion! I do like that.
Original post by LondonBrah_

No that looks awful. Don't corrupt the OP.
Reply 12
No that looks awful. Don't corrupt the OP.

>.> hahah. Maybe I will stick to losing weight first, and then seeing how much my confidence is affected from that! I might not be bothered about the colour then.

But it's nice to know people's opinions on it!
Reply 13
The first thing you need to do is find your style and rock it. It might change a lot, but most people have a fundamental way they like to look/dress and will go by that. Life's too short to look ordinary - and whilst I'm not saying you do - the best thing you can do is figure out why you like what you like and vice versa. If you don't wear foundation, rock that natural look - if you can't figure out why you don't wear foundation, try it out for a few weeks and see what you think. Experiment, because once you get it you'll find how comfortable you can be in your own skin.
You have lovely skin so there is no need for foundation. You could try lipsticks or experimenting with eye shadows? I personally find new clothes to be a confidence boost for me, feel so much better if I'm wearing clothes in a style I love , and making sure they fit properly and suit my figure.
I see lots of potential your skin is immaculate and make up is also kept at minimum which is good. However your weight seems to be your biggest obstacle more specifically you carry lots of facial fat. Chubby cheeks and a bit of a chin. In the process of losing you weight you will not only lose the facial fat but your body fat as well.

Your only issue is weight once you lose the excess fat everything falls into place.
Original post by Black Cat
I see lots of potential your skin is immaculate and make up is also kept at minimum which is good. However your weight seems to be your biggest obstacle more specifically you carry lots of facial fat. Chubby cheeks and a bit of a chin. In the process of losing you weight you will not only lose the facial fat but your body fat as well.

Your only issue is weight once you lose the excess fat everything falls into place.

Tldr; you fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your eyebrows are flawless, wow. Honestly, OP, self love comes with acceptance of who you are. If you want to rock a style, then go for it, but always remember who you are. Personally, I wouldn't dye your hair, as it's a beautiful colour, but at the end of the day, hair is hair and it grows back :smile:

You are beautiful, honestly. Please don't focus too much on your weight; being thin isn't everything, and you really suit the face shape you are :smile:
Original post by ElChapo
Tldr; you fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:toofunny:
you look good already, personally, I wouldn't change anything

Quick Reply

Latest