The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Health Sciences - any advice on making a headstart?

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously thinking of enrolling on the Bsc Health Sciences OU course this year with an aim to complete a post-grad afterwards within the medical/medical-science field.

I'd like some info from past/current students, if you don't mind;

I'm considering condensing the first 120 credits into a year whilst working 4 days a week - has anyone managed this? Does the course structure itself starting at level 1s and jump to level 2/3s in the 2nd and 3rd year?

Can anyone recommend book/resources I could start to read prior to beginning the course?

( I found these threads on the forum which were useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3252349

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2728827)

Lastly, did you enjoy/ are you enjoying it?!

Thanks for looking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BoulderBrow
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously thinking of enrolling on the Bsc Health Sciences OU course this year with an aim to complete a post-grad afterwards within the medical/medical-science field.

I'm considering condensing the first 120 credits into a year whilst working 4 days a week - has anyone managed this? Does the course structure itself starting at level 1s and jump to level 2/3s in the 2nd and 3rd year?

Can anyone recommend book/resources I could start to read prior to beginning the course?

( I found these threads on the forum which were useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3252349

Thanks for looking

Though I'm not doing the health sciences, I can answer the 2nd Q. Doing the first 120 credits while working is definitely manageable, but it does depend on your own personal circumstances. I was able to manage 120 credits while working full-time and re-doing two of my GCSE's

And yes, the course does allow for you to complete 120 credits each year and complete it in 3 years. Good luck with your studies :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Welcome...

I do straight science and I know that some of the modules overlap (especially biology) you can do 120 credits in your first year and work (I did it at L1 and L2 whilst working full time) it's difficult and you have to be super organised but you can do it!

What are your first modules? I'll see if I can shed some light on the specific modules for you!

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, Joka and Lambert

Encouraging to know that you managed to balance work and study!

The first two modules appear to be SDK100: science and health: an evidence based approach and DE100: investigating physchology

A straight paste from the OU website also says:

Topics include human biology; long term conditions; infectious disease; cellular and analytical biology; neurobiology; cognitive psychology; and mental health

I should also mention that I have previous degree in music (2:2) - I'm in the process of finding out if I can get any credit transfer (bit of a lonshot I know :smile:)
Thanks for the replies, Joka and Lambert

Encouraging to know that you managed to balance work and study!

The first two modules appear to be SDK100: science and health: an evidence based approach and DE100: investigating physchology

A straight paste from the OU website also says:

Topics include human biology; long term conditions; infectious disease; cellular and analytical biology; neurobiology; cognitive psychology; and mental health

I should also mention that I have previous degree in music (2:2) - I'm in the process of finding out if I can get any credit transfer (bit of a lonshot I know :smile:)

Ok I am not too hot on the level 1 modules, but it does seem you will be studying some of the same L2/L3 modules as I have/am...

The first year starts off ok (not easy but ok) and is very doable, if you are working full time like you are then you need to be super organised as falling behind is not really an option as it can be pretty much impossible to catch up. Do remember though that that year 1 as a trail to see how much credits you can do, how you learn, take notes, revise, tackle an exam e.t.c! Level 1 does not count towards your final degree classification so you can have this little "trial"....

Health Science Modules will be indicated by a SK, SD or S... the K means it has a health component and most of your modules will be SK.... the K means it has a psychology component; The S is Science!! The modules with S only will be the one's which science students take and they will be the more difficult of the three!!

Maths will be very limited in these modules
Chemistry will feature heavy in your L3 S modules (SD and SK not so much)

Hope this helps at all?
Reply 5
Thanks Lambet - knowing what the course codes mean will be useful I'm sure and interesting to know about the chemistry expectations in L3. On that note, did you study any chemistry prior to to your degree? Any recommendations for a novice on where to start? :smile:

Original post by Lambert87
Ok I am not too hot on the level 1 modules, but it does seem you will be studying some of the same L2/L3 modules as I have/am...

The first year starts off ok (not easy but ok) and is very doable, if you are working full time like you are then you need to be super organised as falling behind is not really an option as it can be pretty much impossible to catch up. Do remember though that that year 1 as a trail to see how much credits you can do, how you learn, take notes, revise, tackle an exam e.t.c! Level 1 does not count towards your final degree classification so you can have this little "trial"....

Health Science Modules will be indicated by a SK, SD or S... the K means it has a health component and most of your modules will be SK.... the K means it has a psychology component; The S is Science!! The modules with S only will be the one's which science students take and they will be the more difficult of the three!!

Maths will be very limited in these modules
Chemistry will feature heavy in your L3 S modules (SD and SK not so much)

Hope this helps at all?
Thanks Lambet - knowing what the course codes mean will be useful I'm sure and interesting to know about the chemistry expectations in L3. On that note, did you study any chemistry prior to to your degree? Any recommendations for a novice on where to start? :smile:

Nope, no prior chemistry but I study pure chemistry modules at level 2 and level 3 so that aided me quite well...

My advice to you is try and get the books (you can buy copies from the net), start to read them.. As soon as you start reading you will soon realise what your strengths and weaknesses are and you can then tackle those!

If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Reply 7
Thanks again, best of luck with the future :smile:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for looking

I'm currently in level 2 in Bsc Health Sciences. I've been doing 120 credits two years in a row now. It gets tight sometimes whenever you have assignments very close to each other but other than these rare situations, it's a very practical and easy-to-grasp system of study. There is tons of help available throughout too.
Once you start the course, they provide you with some to-begin-with resources iirc that you can find in their online library. It's also important that you are up to date with your chemistry and maths knowledge and skills as well as scientific literacy. So reading a lot of articles, journals or revising with whatever material you find will get you preparing.
I really find this course very satisfying and stimulating. I always highly commend it from my personal experience.
Hope it goes well for you if you go for it! Any other questions, I can try my best to answer from experience!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by WonderChrissie
I'm currently in level 2 in Bsc Health Sciences. I've been doing 120 credits two years in a row now. It gets tight sometimes whenever you have assignments very close to each other but other than these rare situations, it's a very practical and easy-to-grasp system of study. There is tons of help available throughout too.
Once you start the course, they provide you with some to-begin-with resources iirc that you can find in their online library. It's also important that you are up to date with your chemistry and maths knowledge and skills as well as scientific literacy. So reading a lot of articles, journals or revising with whatever material you find will get you preparing.
I really find this course very satisfying and stimulating. I always highly commend it from my personal experience.
Hope it goes well for you if you go for it! Any other questions, I can try my best to answer from experience!

Glad it's going well for you, Chrissie. Thanks for the info :smile:
Hi, I start the health science course in October. The course information does not open until September, however, I have a three week holiday and a 17-hour flight to Australia in August. does anyone know what reading I could download to make use of the time? I start the health science module 1. thanks
Reply 11
Hey,

Not really an answer to your question but I'm starting Health Sciences this October too with the open university :smile:

I know there are some materials that you can access in September before you start the course but apart from that maybe just researching anything you might find applicable by what topics are covered in the module.

(Original post by mollieoink)Hi, I start the health science course in October. The course information does not open until September, however, I have a three week holiday and a 17-hour flight to Australia in August. does anyone know what reading I could download to make use of the time? I start the health science module 1. thanks
Thanks, yes I saw that. I have bought a few books on infectious deceases and biology. Fingers crossed. Good luck with the course.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for looking

Hi, I was wondering if you went ahead with this course? I'm interested in applying for it!
Reply 14
Original post by Erinoh94
Hi, I was wondering if you went ahead with this course? I'm interested in applying for it!

Hey

I am going to apply for Health Sciences this October. Nice to meet you :biggrin:
I’m going to apply for October 2021! Currently doing an access course atm. Nice to meet you! Please let me know how you get on with everything :smile:

Original post by Lostx
Hey

I am going to apply for Health Sciences this October. Nice to meet you :biggrin:
Hello!
My name is Alice and I am 30 years old. I work as an architecture assistant atm (graduated in Brazil) but I've never been happy and I've always loved health sciences. I am doing a bit of research and my plan is to start part time as I don't want to be overwhelmed.I am considering applying soon but I am a bit confused with the career options. What are you planning to work on after graduation and will you need a post graduation course?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I am starting the Health Science course in October also and was looking at what reading material I should look into.I am doing the degree as I have always worked in clinical trials and medical research and can only see this progressing my future for the better.
Hi everyone, I'm considering starting a health science degree with The Open University this October, with the intentions of doing Graduate entry medicine in the future. I'm just wondering if any of you are considering something similar or know if this degree is definitely accepted for GEM? I have emailed a few universities but have had no reply Thanks everyone
Original post by amydancer12
Hi everyone, I'm considering starting a health science degree with The Open University this October, with the intentions of doing Graduate entry medicine in the future. I'm just wondering if any of you are considering something similar or know if this degree is definitely accepted for GEM? I have emailed a few universities but have had no reply Thanks everyone

Hi, I’m starting BSc Health Sciences at The OU in October 2021. I also plan to do Graduate Entry Medicine afterwards. Warwick and Worcester University allow this Degree. I’m sure there are more but these are my two choices and both said Yes. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest