The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

PhD in Cambridge

I've a couple of Q about PhD study at Cambridge:

1- When they ask you to stay a minimum number of nights each term in Cambridge, how do they make sure that you are "physically" on-campus? :smile:

2- What's the honor system used for postgraduate degrees in Cambridge? First, second and third class honors or the latin? Will the degree be awarded using the honor title like the US colleges?
Original post by maq123
I've a couple of Q about PhD study at Cambridge:

1- When they ask you to stay a minimum number of nights each term in Cambridge, how do they make sure that you are "physically" on-campus? :smile:

2- What's the honor system used for postgraduate degrees in Cambridge? First, second and third class honors or the latin? Will the degree be awarded using the honor title like the US colleges?

1. Well you need to have a local address, in the first place which ensures that most people are there the required number of nights. If you can afford to rent a place in Cambridge without living in it the majority of the time, then I imagine there's little they could do to check you're there, even if you're in college accommodation. I don't have first hand experience of it, but I know in Oxford nobody ever checked despite the regulation being in place.

2 - No honour system. When you submit, you'll either pass, be asked to revise and resubmit or fail (for PhDs at least. Master's are a whole other kettle of fish.)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
1. For postgraduate degrees, colleges use a self-certification system to confirm that you were in residence the required number of days/nights. In my college, we are sent an electronic form at the end of each term, asking us to confirm on which date we 'took up' residence that term, and then the date of your last day in residence, and then they ask the number of nights you were away from Cambridge. Most postgrads are in residence most of the time anyway, so they have no problems fulfilling the residency requirements. If for whatever reason you were away for a large chunk of time, you could be 'economical with the truth' on the form- I don't know how they'd check, as there is no one actively monitoring you. Perhaps if you were away ages and the porters noticed that your pigeonhole was overflowing with post, some questions may be asked, but I doubt it. Do you plan to be away for large stretches? There are provisions for students who need time away for research fieldwork for instance.

2. For MPhil degrees, they are marked as Pass & Distinction, as far as I'm aware. For PhDs, the system is as ellie.rew describes it.
Reply 3
Just to add, if by Latin honor titles you mean are British degrees awarded summa/magna cum laude, the answer is no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending