The Student Room Group

Where to apply to - are my grades good enough?

I have an interest in economics, and wish to study it at (hopefully) one of the top Universities, if not straight economics then a combined course, such as PPE etc.. I am looking at places such as Warwick, Nottingham and Durham. I am currently studying - Maths (AS), Physics (AS), History (AS), and English language (AS). I am aiming for AAAA, which is what I received in the January mocks, and should receive in summer (fingers crossed), and have also been told by maths and physics that if I receive this A in each topic, I will be predicted A* in both. I am also bilingual (German), so I have that to my advantage, luckily:smile:. The only issue I have is whether my average GCSE grades give me a ceiling at which I can apply to, if I achieve the best I can this year at AS, do my GCSE grades of 0A*'s 5A's and 6B's limit me from applying to these universities, if so which should be my top choice?

I would massively appreciate advice as I am struggling at where to book open days and where to aim to, thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
If you ever have questions about your grades, it is best to get in touch with the University's admission office, they will be able to tell you exactly what you need for the courses that you are looking at and you will also be able to see how flexible they are with regards to your GCSE grades.

It is also a good idea to make sure that you do have back up choices. With regards to open days, try and go to as many as you can, even look at some that aren't exactly your first choice, because there is so much to consider as you need to find the right university for you.
Original post by 13scott
I have an interest in economics, and wish to study it at (hopefully) one of the top Universities, if not straight economics then a combined course, such as PPE etc.. I am looking at places such as Warwick, Nottingham and Durham. I am currently studying - Maths (AS), Physics (AS), History (AS), and English language (AS). I am aiming for AAAA, which is what I received in the January mocks, and should receive in summer (fingers crossed), and have also been told by maths and physics that if I receive this A in each topic, I will be predicted A* in both. I am also bilingual (German), so I have that to my advantage, luckily:smile:. The only issue I have is whether my average GCSE grades give me a ceiling at which I can apply to, if I achieve the best I can this year at AS, do my GCSE grades of 0A*'s 5A's and 6B's limit me from applying to these universities, if so which should be my top choice?

I would massively appreciate advice as I am struggling at where to book open days and where to aim to, thanks!

If you get 4 A's with high UMS in them then it won't really matter. AS results decide everything.
Reply 3
Original post by KimmiLeanne93
If you ever have questions about your grades, it is best to get in touch with the University's admission office, they will be able to tell you exactly what you need for the courses that you are looking at and you will also be able to see how flexible they are with regards to your GCSE grades.

It is also a good idea to make sure that you do have back up choices. With regards to open days, try and go to as many as you can, even look at some that aren't exactly your first choice, because there is so much to consider as you need to find the right university for you.

Thanks for the advice I will make sure I make an enquiry, I was just cautious as to where to aim for as I've heard that particular top universities look at GCSE's but was not quite sure which.
Reply 4
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
If you get 4 A's with high UMS in them then it won't really matter. AS results decide everything.

I hope so, thanks for the reply!
I'm glad it helps :smile:

Hopefully, it all works out for you :smile:
Original post by 13scott
Thanks for the advice I will make sure I make an enquiry, I was just cautious as to where to aim for as I've heard that particular top universities look at GCSE's but was not quite sure which.

Oxford look closely at GCSE's and yours would probably not be good enough. OTOH Cambridge focus on UMS at AS (and A2) so they might be worth a punt if you get very high marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending