The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP I told a colleague my salary

I've been in a new job for a month- it's my first real job. I have found it hard to make friends.

I made an effort and went to the pub with a few girls, and we got chatting because one of them has passed her senior exams, which basically means a pay rise. I was told that I would need to do these exams to get paid more- as the pre-lim exams only entitle you to X amount.

I assumed that everyone who had the pre-lim exams got my salary, that's what my boss led me to believe.

I basically blurted this out to the girl, and from the sounds of it, they get paid less than I do now before they have the senior exams.... she said 'Oh well I think your job is different' I was like Oh f....

I am an idiot- I saw her as a nice girl I was chatting with, not a colleague. I have found out I can get into trouble for telling someone my salary- is this true?

Please help :frown:
Don't think you can get in trouble per se. As its your own salary and your right to disclose this to whomever.

Just learn from this. In future, do not discuss salaries at work; or at the least, do not disclose your own. It should be kept personal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending