The Student Room Group

Annoyed at my colleague

I DON'T WANT TO COMPARE OTHERS

I felt misplaced at my company, my colleagues who have more experience than me took on bigger projects and I was just left doing tiny things in the company.

This got me down and I lost a lot of confidence. I told my boss how I felt and they gave me work on the side that suited my skillset and my ability.
I was pleased, I was the go to person to design whatever needed to be done.

One of colleagues who has more experience than me, found out what I was doing and mentioned to me that they really liked my work and they wanted to do something similar to me, but didn't want to copy or get in the way of my side work.

I really worked hard on this side project, I was the reliable person to design artwork for a client. I even went on a course so I can learn this skill better.

When I was away I found out my colleague did the side project that I would normally work on.

I really feel betrayed by my colleague. I just wanted to find my place in the company have clients come to me and ask me to design something for them.

My colleague already has massive responsibility already at the company, they have bigger projects to work on than me.

I just wanted to find my place! and get my confidence back I thought I did until my colleague took over my work

Now my colleague is doing the exact same thing to me. They even put MY colleagues name on the work and for as long I've been doing this work, I've never ever had my name against anything.

I know I was away, and the work had nothing to do with me. But I wouldn't think it's ok to take over a job a colleague has been doing successfully and make it mine

Is this right?
I'm a little confused... To me it sounds like there was work that you used to do, which you stopped doing for something else, thus becoming vacant work. As such, your colleague took up this vacancy.
As for having your name on the work... how much did you quantitatively contribute to the project? I can't say I'm familiar with this sort of company industry stuff but I guess that if your colleague did more work than you ever did on that other project, then perhaps then I guess it would then be fair that your name wouldn't appear as the main author for the work...
Idk man 乁⁠(⁠*⁠•_•⁠*⁠)⁠ㄏ
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, this is really annoying and I don't blame you for feeling that way. Might be worth distancing yourself a bit from that colleague, because they clearly took your part. Not because they needed it, but because they deliberately wanted it when they really didn't need anything else - it's probably better that they don't know your business as much. It would also be worth having another conversation with your manager for anything else you could work on, explain your views and mention this new course you took part in to demonstrate your enthusiasm and interest for that role, they may be able to find something else for you to do - but do remember to go about it in a courteous manner and mention how you want to make a mark in the company and want to challenge yourself with new things.

Another thing you could try doing is trying to go up the corporate ladder by applying to a higher position or apply for the designers' position you enjoyed, so that nobody can take it away from you. Try build up a portfolio of all the art you've worked on, so that you can improve your chances and can demonstrate your experience for the role. Lastly if you contributed towards a designer piece put your name on it too, it doesn't matter what people have to say - it's your work too and the reason for which the result is so well done is because of a joint effort, it's wrong to covet and pass off someone else's' work as their own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending