The Student Room Group

A Level Choices HELP?!!

I'm like really struggling on what to choose next year, I'll tell you my predicted grades, could you maybe suggest some courses that would fit the grades please any help is great.

Last year : Science (core) - B
Spanish - B

This year (predicted) : English language - A
English literature - A
Maths - B
Science (additonal) - A
Religious education - A
Physical education - A
BTEC Sport - Distinction
I.T - C

I defiently want to choose English language, and I am interested in the Sciences, but also like Maths, I like the look of Media, and also Philosophy. I'm just wondering if there are any suggestions you have on what to choose, I realise its personal but still ANY help would be great. Thanks in advance.:smile:
Original post by Jamesstanley0
I'm like really struggling on what to choose next year, I'll tell you my predicted grades, could you maybe suggest some courses that would fit the grades please any help is great.

Spanish - B

English literature - A
Maths - B
Science (additonal) - A
Religious education - A
Physical education - A
BTEC Sport - Distinction
I.T - C

I defiently want to choose English language, and I am interested in the Sciences, but also like Maths, I like the look of Media, and also Philosophy. I'm just wondering if there are any suggestions you have on what to choose, I realise its personal but still ANY help would be great. Thanks in advance.:smile:

What do you want to do at uni and beyond?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
"I'll tell you my predicted grades, could you maybe suggest some courses that would fit the grades please any help is great."

This is where I went wrong when I picked my A-Levels. I let people decide what A-Levels I did, they chose what they wanted me to do. That was my biggest mistake. I would recommend you to do something that you enjoy and love, even if that means doing a BTEC in that subject.

Never pick your A-Levels based upon what other people say.
I've looked at a number of courses for university, such as : biochemistry, biomedical sciences, chemistry, applied chemical and pharmecutical sciences, english, accounting and finance, physics and anything really science or english based, something along them lines. I would like to go in to teaching? Not sure why it just appeals to me, secondary not primary! I can't really think of any other job just that.
I've looked at a number of courses for university, such as : biochemistry, biomedical sciences, chemistry, applied chemical and pharmecutical sciences, english, accounting and finance, physics and anything really science or english based, something along them lines. I would like to go in to teaching? Not sure why it just appeals to me, secondary not primary! I can't really think of any other job just that.

For most science degrees maths and the appropriate science are required so if you want to keep all your options open you should probably consider that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hm I know I'm not looking for final decisions just guidance on what to go down, I have courses that I have looked at and ones that i defiently won't do. My school does BTEC Sport in sixth form, I have thought of doing it but it takes up two choices and can't drop it so thats a down point.
Reply 6
English, maths and a science would be a solid basis for teaching. Then whichever other subject you would most enjoy, and get the best grade in :smile:
Original post by samb1234
For most science degrees maths and the appropriate science are required so if you want to keep all your options open you should probably consider that

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I like maths but I'm only on a B maybe could get an A just depending on topics and grade boundaries in the summer I have got A's on mocks but don't think I'll get one overall. If I did get a B im allowed to do it at a level but we were told we'd find it hard and could end up failing, is this true? You only pass/do well if you get an A or higher?
Reply 8
But I like maths but I'm only on a B maybe could get an A just depending on topics and grade boundaries in the summer I have got A's on mocks but don't think I'll get one overall. If I did get a B im allowed to do it at a level but we were told we'd find it hard and could end up failing, is this true? You only pass/do well if you get an A or higher?

I think it really depends on the person :smile: I got A* at GCSE, then a B at AS- but I know people who got a B at GCSE and an A at AS. If you are prepared to work for it, do it

I can't really comment on how easy you would find maths as I take further maths and no one in my class got below a* at GCSE. A level maths is not that difficult tbh so as long as you were prepared to do work for it you would probably be fine. Maths also makes other science a levels, in particular physics, much much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ezme39
I think it really depends on the person :smile: I got A* at GCSE, then a B at AS- but I know people who got a B at GCSE and an A at AS. If you are prepared to work for it, do it

I would work. So much. My friends took it early and are really good at it we have good teachers so possibly would take it
Original post by samb1234
I can't really comment on how easy you would find maths as I take further maths and no one in my class got below a* at GCSE. A level maths is not that difficult tbh so as long as you were prepared to do work for it you would probably be fine. Maths also makes other science a levels, in particular physics, much much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teachers have said that, but I don't know I really don't want to take a course and fail.

Spanish - B

English literature - A
Maths - B
Science (additonal) - A
Religious education - A
Physical education - A
BTEC Sport - Distinction
I.T - C

have you considered taking English Literature? more schools offer eng lit A-level than eng lang as English Literature is more highly regarded by unis.
Maths is a great A-level too, it's useful even if you're not considering a career maths-related
and needless to say Sciences A-levels are brilliant as well
Would taking English literature and English language be stupid? Or wasteful? I want to do physics or chemistry but been told it's pointless if I don't take maths, is this true?
Reply 14
Would taking English literature and English language be stupid? Or wasteful? I want to do physics or chemistry but been told it's pointless if I don't take maths, is this true?

From what I've heard of physics, it would be more difficult without maths. But chemistry would still be very much manageable :smile:
I really like chemistry as well:smile:
I really like chemistry as well:smile:

Chemistry is fun but be warned it is quite a big step up from GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would think very long and hard about doing the sciences. I got 3 A* 7A and 2B at GCSE, I'm now doing maths biology chemistry and psychology. The work load for all of these are really demanding, I'm doing about 7 hours work a day leading up to my exams and I'm still struggling to get Cs but they all have quite abit of cross over with each other which is helpful. The content is definitely the hardest for chemistry and is the biggest jump from GCSE out of all the subjects. If you're interested in doing English language I think you should do English math biology and psychology as they'd all link well together:smile:
For science degree courses you ideally want two sciences. For life sciences, Biology/Chemistry/Maths, and for physical sciences Physics/Chemistry/Maths. Outside of that it's whatever you most enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest