The Student Room Group

Should I put bad GCSE grades into my CV?

I'm hunting for a part time job and have applied for a few but never heard anything back. I've been looking at my CV and am wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Basically, I did poorly at school. I think it was a combination of disruptive class members (such as those trying to hit the teachers, shouting all the time etc) and my own laziness as I was alluded that GCSEs did not matter at the time.

My worse grades are:
GCSE Maths - F
Business - EE
Rest are Ds

Is it safe to remove Maths+business from my CV? Since I've been at college I've passed functional skills level 1 & 2 and am currently working towards a free standing maths qualification (which focuses on financial maths). The grades I've got and predicted from college are good so far, so wondering if I can get away with removing my GCSE maths. I am also retaking GCSE English which I am currently getting A's on all my mocks.

I'd thought it look a little odd if I had no maths on there, considering it's compulsory. Could I condense it down and just put like, 6 GCSEs grade A-D including English, or is that too misleading considering all my current A-Ds are D? :tongue:

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Megabytes
I'm hunting for a part time job and have applied for a few but never heard anything back. I've been looking at my CV and am wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Basically, I did poorly at school. I think it was a combination of disruptive class members (such as those trying to hit the teachers, shouting all the time etc) and my own laziness as I was alluded that GCSEs did not matter at the time.

My worse grades are:
GCSE Maths - F
Business - EE
Rest are Ds

Is it safe to remove Maths+business from my CV? Since I've been at college I've passed functional skills level 1 & 2 and am currently working towards a free standing maths qualification (which focuses on financial maths). The grades I've got and predicted from college are good so far, so wondering if I can get away with removing my GCSE maths. I am also retaking GCSE English which I am currently getting A's on all my mocks.

I'd thought it look a little odd if I had no maths on there, considering it's compulsory. Could I condense it down and just put like, 6 GCSEs grade A-D including English, or is that too misleading considering all my current A-Ds are D? :tongue:

Thanks.

If you leave your GCSE results out an employer will assume they are bad. If you want, you can omit them (I wouldn't suggest) but be prepared to produce a transcript if the employer so requests and explain the circumstances in an interview.

My worse grades are:
GCSE Maths - F
Business - EE
Rest are Ds

Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but it's probably ok to remove some of GCSEs - but don't be misleading. Employers will likely want to know your Maths grade, so it's probably worth keeping it on your CV, and if you put A-Ds, and your employers then asked for your certificates, it would seem misleading.
Reply 3

My worse grades are:
GCSE Maths - F
Business - EE
Rest are Ds

Thanks.

No mention everything in your CV regardless of your grades. Whether they employ you or not its up to them but at least you`re honest. You can explain further at the face to face interview stage as to why you got poor grades. Don`t list the grades of every subject like don`t write Maths C, english C, Science D etc. Just write like 7 gcses achieved A-E including Maths F. By the way now a days everyone needs a minimum C in Maths and English so what did you get in English?. Also some employers want a minum of C in Maths, English and Science and some minimum 5 GCSES`s including C in Maths, English and Science. You have the option to retake the GCSE`s in college if you have D or less in any subject. You can apply for a course in college get good grades, Once you have good grades then apply for jobs as you will have the confidence of applying for any job. Also its not just about the grades anymore. you also need experience. My advice would be is go find a volunteering job to help you with experience and help get you in that job frame mind set and it will look good on your CV. You can try to apply for jobs which don`t require any experience or grades but it`s hard to find these days and even if you do, the pay isn`t that good.
So rule number 1: apply for a course in college (course which doesn`t require good grades).
Rule number 2: In college ask your teachers if I can retake my GCSE`s
Rule number 3: Get work experience anywhere you can.
and finally rule number 4: Once you got good grades and experience, check your CV in college by a teacher or anyone who deals with CV`s. Then start to apply.
If you don`t want to go to college, you apply for apprenticeships through school. Ask your teachers

Hope this helps

All the best and good luck in future :smile:

You aren't not getting a part-time job because of your GCSE grades, you are not getting to interview because your CV doesn't show enough evidence of relevant skills for the job to make you competitive.

Leave your GCSEs off and when you get your current qualifications awarded, use them. Until then, just indicate you are studying for an English and Maths qualification.
Say on your CV that you've got x number of Level 1 qualifications (gcse d -g)
hey there

If possible, try and retake Mathematics either as functional skills or as a GCSE.

Work experience may help you get a job as that can often be desired over good grades, if possible contact your school/college about work experience placements. doing 10 hours each week will help alot (this is what one of my friends did who doesnt even have any GCSE's and is now working at £6.30 at 16, which is pretty good)
Also, Expect part-time jobs to be quite menial, places like Tesco, BK, Halfords ext are not the most challenging of jobs but they can certianly be stressful and mundane
Original post by U33B
No mention everything in your CV regardless of your grades. Whether they employ you or not its up to them but at least you`re honest. You can explain further at the face to face interview stage as to why you got poor grades. Don`t list the grades of every subject like don`t write Maths C, english C, Science D etc. Just write like 7 gcses achieved A-E including Maths F. By the way now a days everyone needs a minimum C in Maths and English so what did you get in English?. Also some employers want a minum of C in Maths, English and Science and some minimum 5 GCSES`s including C in Maths, English and Science. You have the option to retake the GCSE`s in college if you have D or less in any subject. You can apply for a course in college get good grades, Once you have good grades then apply for jobs as you will have the confidence of applying for any job. Also its not just about the grades anymore. you also need experience. My advice would be is go find a volunteering job to help you with experience and help get you in that job frame mind set and it will look good on your CV. You can try to apply for jobs which don`t require any experience or grades but it`s hard to find these days and even if you do, the pay isn`t that good.
So rule number 1: apply for a course in college (course which doesn`t require good grades).
Rule number 2: In college ask your teachers if I can retake my GCSE`s
Rule number 3: Get work experience anywhere you can.
and finally rule number 4: Once you got good grades and experience, check your CV in college by a teacher or anyone who deals with CV`s. Then start to apply.
If you don`t want to go to college, you apply for apprenticeships through school. Ask your teachers

Hope this helps

All the best and good luck in future :smile:

This
HiSorry a bit late but for anyone else in this situation what you should list is..QualificationsLevel 2 Functional Skills MathsLevel 2 Functional Skills EnglishGSCE XYZPresently studying GCSE EnglishYour not lying just omitting truths.If you have a GSCE at Grade G/1You have a GCSEIt's up to your employer to check out the grades.Just don't list them. If they ask, tell the truth.Your Functional Skills Maths is a passing grade.After you have got your GCSE in English and it's a grade C/4 it's up to you if you want to list your Functional Skills English, higher grade than that drop your Functional Skills English, it's now redundant. Less that C/4 list your Functional Skills.Always show your positives on a CV.Next thing to do is study GSCE Maths and see if you can get a C/4. Remember getting your GCSEs in Maths and English is free.After that GCSE Science/Science subject , get that at a C/4. That one might cost you about £250 at college. Then study an IT course. Get a Level 2 if you can (ECDL is a good one). This can be free online, just make sure it's a recognised qualifications.After that it's your choice. You can resit your GCSEs, sit different GCSEs or not. There are recognised Level 2 qualifications you can do distance learning. Use these to fill gaps and their free.The next step in focus on Level 3 courses at college or online. Get passes or C's and you've done it.Your CV might then look like this and now you put your grades for exampleGCSE English B/6GCSE Biology C/5GCSE Geography C/4Level 2 Functional Skills Maths Pass (Presently studying GCSE Maths)Level 2 ICT PassGCSE Music D/3Level 2 Distance Learning course title PassLevel 2 Distance Learning course title PassLevel 3 Course Title Merit/BIf you can get your CV looking like this, you will get employment or go on to do further training and studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending