The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE Student - happy to answer any questions

My offer came in Jan last year. Personal statement took 9 months to perfect. No extra curricular on it at all - just my thoughts on different theories. Used less known philosophical stuff in order to try to appear well read. LSE is not the London School of no Social Life - it's really full on though - easily 50 hrs per week - I was pulling all nighters in week 3... Feel free to ask anything about the uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kind of work experience and extra things outside of school did you do to help you get in?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous
My offer came in Jan last year. Personal statement took 9 months to perfect. No extra curricular on it at all - just my thoughts on different theories. Used less known philosophical stuff in order to try to appear well read. LSE is not the London School of no Social Life - it's really full on though - easily 50 hrs per week - I was pulling all nighters in week 3... Feel free to ask anything about the uni

50 hours a week as a first year? What modules do you do?
Tips for the motivation letter?
50 hours a week as a first year? What modules do you do?

All of the 1st year ones are compulsory - you will see them on the web page - but the usual suspects for a law degree. 50 hours per week minimum - It's full on - and that's for the bare minimum. Lectures 15 hrs per week - including a mixture of lectures and classes - plus LSE 100
Reply 5

what is the mental health help like at LSE? it’s a stressful environment and would like to know if there is a 24 hour hotline, are there counsellors etc?
Reply 6
Has anyone ever gotten in with a BTEC and A levels? If they go to a bad school, have an excellent PS, have 2 facilitating subjects (Maths and Physics), apply to a less competitive course, what are the chances?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by boop11
what is the mental health help like at LSE? it’s a stressful environment and would like to know if there is a 24 hour hotline, are there counsellors etc?

Honestly - it's sink or swim. There is of course mental health support at LSE but it's not the place for you if you are likely to get behind with work because of health. I know that sounds brutal. . The pace is unforgiving and speaking personally - if I was experiencing any issues that stopped me working 12 hours per day - then my term would have been ruined. They will help where they can - but even extensions on formatives only prolong the agony of the workload - so you would never find the time to catch up. I must stress that support is available- but ultimately they want the work done - and the grades to complete the course.

What were your achieved grades and predicted grades? What course are you doing? What are the key things that you must have to have a shot at getting in except from the obvious (good ps, grades etc)
Congratulations!!
Honestly - it's sink or swim. There is of course mental health support at LSE but it's not the place for you if you are likely to get behind with work because of health. I know that sounds brutal. . The pace is unforgiving and speaking personally - if I was experiencing any issues that stopped me working 12 hours per day - then my term would have been ruined. They will help where they can - but even extensions on formatives only prolong the agony of the workload - so you would never find the time to catch up. I must stress that support is available- but ultimately they want the work done - and the grades to complete the course.

Hey, what was your LNAT mcq score? Congrats on getting into LSE law!
Original post by dahlia06
What were your achieved grades and predicted grades? What course are you doing? What are the key things that you must have to have a shot at getting in except from the obvious (good ps, grades etc)
Congratulations!!

I was predicted 3 x A*. Most people at LSE were predicted this. My LSE offer was A* AA. I was lucky enough to get 3 x A* after a remark in one of my papers. I study law so did the LNAT test. The one thing that everybody has here is that they do extra things on top of study that are related to the subject they want to study. It's not so much about being head boy/girl or winning the odd prize here and there - it's about a commitment to the subject. I would advise anyone to go onto linkedin and look at some of the lse students profiles on there - it's a bit intimidating but it shows the level of some of these people and what they get up to prior to joining LSE. Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Hey, what was your LNAT mcq score? Congrats on getting into LSE law!

Thanks - I got 33 on the LNAT
I was predicted 3 x A*. Most people at LSE were predicted this. My LSE offer was A* AA. I was lucky enough to get 3 x A* after a remark in one of my papers. I study law so did the LNAT test. The one thing that everybody has here is that they do extra things on top of study that are related to the subject they want to study. It's not so much about being head boy/girl or winning the odd prize here and there - it's about a commitment to the subject. I would advise anyone to go onto linkedin and look at some of the lse students profiles on there - it's a bit intimidating but it shows the level of some of these people and what they get up to prior to joining LSE. Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else.

Thank you, I'm considering law but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I want to do. What subjects did you take? How difficult would you say the LNAT is?

Do you know anyone that does Maths, statistics and business?

what would the chances be if I didn’t have further maths?

Great score! Would you have chosen LSE if you'd got offers from the likes of UCL or KCL? And did you have a go at applying to Oxbridge? Also what other offers did you get? And do you have any sort of aspirational firm you want to work for after university, and what steps are you taking to improve your CV in that sense? Sorry for the barrage, I'm in year 13 so just applied to law at: UCL, KCL, LSE, QMUL, and Warwick (currently only offer from QMUL).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dahlia06
Thank you, I'm considering law but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I want to do. What subjects did you take? How difficult would you say the LNAT is?

LNAT is very difficult and takes a lot of practice. I did Economics, Chemistry and History. Don't do law if your not up for 50 hours per week reading - is my honest advice
Do you know anyone that does Maths, statistics and business?

what would the chances be if I didn’t have further maths?

Depends whether your school offered further maths. It looks bad if you chose not to do it having been offered the opportunity. Yes I have friends on that course - lots of problem sheets and an extremely high level of ability mathematically just to keep up. They enjoy the course - but everyone wants to be investment bankers - so be prepared for a very competitive environment
Original post by toxicgamage56
Great score! Would you have chosen LSE if you'd got offers from the likes of UCL or KCL? And did you have a go at applying to Oxbridge? Also what other offers did you get? And do you have any sort of aspirational firm you want to work for after university, and what steps are you taking to improve your CV in that sense? Sorry for the barrage, I'm in year 13 so just applied to law at: UCL, KCL, LSE, QMUL, and Warwick (currently only offer from QMUL).

I did choose LSE over oxford and UCL... I got offers from Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Warwick and LSE. Everyone at LSE is aiming for Magic Circle or US firm. I attend their events every week at their offices through the law society and bespoke applications. There are loads of schemes with these firms for your yr group - look on their website. Probably a bit late now though for your applications. My advice - commit your summer to getting a cv boost - then enter university and throw yourself into societies - the opportunities will come. LSE is set up brilliantly to be a corporate lawyer if that's what you want.
LNAT is very difficult and takes a lot of practice. I did Economics, Chemistry and History. Don't do law if your not up for 50 hours per week reading - is my honest advice

Thank you!! Best of luck :smile:
I did choose LSE over oxford and UCL... I got offers from Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Warwick and LSE. Everyone at LSE is aiming for Magic Circle or US firm. I attend their events every week at their offices through the law society and bespoke applications. There are loads of schemes with these firms for your yr group - look on their website. Probably a bit late now though for your applications. My advice - commit your summer to getting a cv boost - then enter university and throw yourself into societies - the opportunities will come. LSE is set up brilliantly to be a corporate lawyer if that's what you want.

I get why LSE over UCL, as it probably has an edge when it comes to law, but why LSE over Oxford is what's got me curious? You probably have a solid reasoning for having chosen LSE over Oxford, I'd imagine. I can tell you're driven by a competitive environment, which is good, and have to ask what you do in your free time? Of course, Magic Circle is the dream - in fact, I'm on Clifford Chance's ACCESS scheme which should help me a great deal. Did you consider solicitor apprenticeships before applying to university, as a few are with top firms? I've been applying to a few, and have had to turn down an audit school leaver position with Grant Thornton in favour of a future at a commercial/corporate law firm. Thanks for your replies btw!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending