The Student Room Group

Should I throw away my GCSE and AS Level certificates?

I feel like throwing it away along with my textbooks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

no, you need it as proof of your achieved qualifications. Otherwise, when you get offered a job, and when you need to submit all your educational qualifications, you will have to order the certificate from the exam board.
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate

What do you think that will accomplish?

Planning on throwing away your birth certificate, driving license and passport too?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

Planning on throwing away your birth certificate, driving license and passport too?

I don't have a driving license and will probably never get one.
No. Hats off to you for posting a question on TSR where there is only one right answer

why?
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
why?

Grades are not good. Not useful for the outside world.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

It would make me feel better.

boohoo... regardless of what u think, u will still need them to get a job, even if u havent done well.
u know the answer to question, not sure why u need to put it on tsr.

Why do you think that?

Trust me it won't :hugs:

And it definitely wont make you feel better when you get a job and they ask to see your certificates (replacements are expensive in this economy).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Why do you think that?

Grades are not good. Horrid experience of school.

Then just put them away in a folder in a cupboard or drawer you don't use much. You don't have to look at them, you just have to keep them.

Those grades exist. Destroying the certificates doesn’t wipe that away - it just means that it could cost you lots of time, effort and cash later on.

If you don’t trust yourself to keep your certificates safe then think about asking a trusted friend or relative to look after them for you.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Those grades exist. Destroying the certificates doesn’t wipe that away - it just means that it could cost you lots of time, effort and cash later on.

If you don’t trust yourself to keep your certificates safe then think about asking a trusted friend or relative to look after them for you.

What happens if you spill tea or coffee on it?
Grades are not good. Not useful for the outside world.

There's matter and ant-matter. And then there's TSR and anti-TSR.
Reply 16
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
There's matter and ant-matter. And then there's TSR and anti-TSR.

I don't know what that means but ok.
Also, depends how old you are. If you did them recently then no, as you may be asked for evidence (even though tbf from UCAS onwards I've never needed to show my certificates to anyone, by the time you finish a degree a prospective employer isn't usually going to give a boiled rat's arse about your A levels. Still best not to risk it while you're in your 20s though because I do think some fields like law maybe (?) and stuff are quite keen on seeing A level evidence and whatnot, you never know). Years later though, especially after being in several jobs and getting into your 30s, then it probably won't matter if you throw them away. I'm in my 20s and I don't even know where mine are, but as I said, aside from UCAS I've never needed to provide them and if I one day apply to a different job to the one I'm in I won't even put A levels on my CV anymore (I deleted my GCSEs from my CV a while ago), so irrelevant. I still wouldn't recommend chucking them though, they hardly take up a lot of space at the bottom of a drawer or something and there's always the possibility that a job years and years down the line will ask to see them.
(edited 7 months ago)
I don't know what that means but ok.

TSR is grades obsessed and you're saying the opposite.
Reply 19
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
TSR is grades obsessed and you're saying the opposite.

There was a time when I was obsessive and cared about school but now I don't care, I probably realised I hate school now.

You only really like school if you are good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending