The Student Room Group

I'm scared I made the wrong choice!

My dream job is to be a police officer. But my eye sight is the only thing stopping me until I get laser eye surgery.

Now I am freaking out, I have just accepted my offer to go to Staffordshire University to do Policing and Criminal Investigation. I am doing this degree and hopefully doing a 1 year MSc top up. Now I am scared as I am scared if my laser eye surgery will not work or I will not be able to have it for a while and that all my education would be only based on the police officer job. I have everything planned out if my surgery is successful because I will be able to apply for Specials and PCSO before Police officer. But if the surgery fails i will never be able to get into the police because of my eye sight. Now this is making me more worried because the degree is good for becoming police, or other enforcement or a forensic scientist (which I found out you are more likely to be employed as a brain surgeon in the UK than a CSI guy because of all the cuts etc).

I have already "waisted" 1/2 of my academic life because I failed my GCSEs
I really wouldnt worry laser eye surgery is supposedly very successful, you may need to work to pay for them but otherwise cant see any problems:smile:
Original post by Dejomony
My dream job is to be a police officer. But my eye sight is the only thing stopping me until I get laser eye surgery.

Now I am freaking out, I have just accepted my offer to go to Staffordshire University to do Policing and Criminal Investigation. I am doing this degree and hopefully doing a 1 year MSc top up. Now I am scared as I am scared if my laser eye surgery will not work or I will not be able to have it for a while and that all my education would be only based on the police officer job. I have everything planned out if my surgery is successful because I will be able to apply for Specials and PCSO before Police officer. But if the surgery fails i will never be able to get into the police because of my eye sight. Now this is making me more worried because the degree is good for becoming police, or other enforcement or a forensic scientist (which I found out you are more likely to be employed as a brain surgeon in the UK than a CSI guy because of all the cuts etc).

The key issue appears to be the date of your surgery. Why can you not have it this summer before you start at Staffs?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
The key issue appears to be the date of your surgery. Why can you not have it this summer before you start at Staffs?

Because they are all asking for a stable prescription which I do not have
Because they are all asking for a stable prescription which I do not have

When is that likely to be the situation?
Reply 5
When is that likely to be the situation?

people keep saying your eyes can become stable 18- mid 20s. So i could have to wait till I am 28 to get the surgery, this will hold me back so many years which is rather depressing.
people keep saying your eyes can become stable 18- mid 20s. So i could have to wait till I am 28 to get the surgery, this will hold me back so many years which is rather depressing.

So taking a degree with the sole purpose of becoming a police officer is therefore a huge (c.£45k) gamble?
Reply 7
Some people are never suitable for laser eye surgery, so it's not that you're waiting for a date - you're waiting to find out if it will ever be appropriate! I'm 29 and still haven't had a stable prescription, so even if you do find you can have the surgery you might have to wait longer than you think.

It's a huge risk, so you'd be better finding a different degree choice.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
Some people are never suitable for laser eye surgery, so it's not that you're waiting for a date - you're waiting to find out if it will ever be appropriate! I'm 29 and still haven't had a stable prescription, so even if you do find you can have the surgery you might have to wait longer than you think.

It's a huge risk, so you'd be better finding a different degree choice.

Is your prescription still changing a lot? They allow you to have a little change like .5 a year I think

But there are very few degrees I can do. For example I am uninterested in business or law because I want a more active job like the police. I would hate my life if i was stuck in an office. I have only 3 GCSEs English C Science Double Award C/D and Maths B and am currently on a Business BTEC level 3 diploma on my last year.

There are other roles I could get into with that degree like customs officer immigration officer but I really have no clue. I already have accepted them as my firm choice
Is your prescription still changing a lot? They allow you to have a little change like .5 a year I think

But there are very few degrees I can do. For example I am uninterested in business or law because I want a more active job like the police. I would hate my life if i was stuck in an office. I have only 3 GCSEs English C Science Double Award C/D and Maths B and am currently on a Business BTEC level 3 diploma on my last year.

There are other roles I could get into with that degree like customs officer immigration officer but I really have no clue. I already have accepted them as my firm choice

Then you need to do some research very quickly and possibly rethink your degree.

One thing I would add is that you can join the police in your 30s, if and when your sight stabilises.
Reply 10
Then you need to do some research very quickly and possibly rethink your degree.

One thing I would add is that you can join the police in your 30s, if and when your sight stabilises.

There are very few things I think I cam capable of tough.
There are very few things I think I cam capable of tough.

What qualities do you possess that make you think you would be a good police officer? What other jobs can utilise those qualities?

(I don't know the answer. You might need to find out.)
Reply 12

The problem is that if you have any changes, it means the laser eye surgery won't stay correcting your vision forever. They'll fix it at whatever, then the next year you're at whatever - 0.5. Then the year after you're at whatever - 1. Then this continues, so after 10 years you're 5 points out and can't see again.

So even if you did manage to get fixed and join the police you might find you can only have a short career there.

Could you contact the department's admissions officer and ask whether you could discuss graduate destinations? As you say, the jobs market has got much tighter, so last year's graduates might have had to be creative in looking for their first move after university. The staff at the university might also have some helpful comments on the skill set they aim to give their graduates?

(Edit: and as Ageshallnot says, do your own research too - then you will not need to simply rely on any assertions made by the staff)
(edited 9 years ago)
There is an accelerated course that the police offer for people who hold a degree in anything. My uncle started his career as a police officer when he was 30 and he had a sociology degree, now he is 44 and a detective inspector working in the division that deals with sex offenders, in Stafford actually. Also, my partner is applying when they open up recruitment and he has a degree in music production and technology. You don't need the long course in policing to become a police officer.

I would suggest that if you really want to go to uni, you should consider doing something useful, but more open to a different career path- just in case your surgery is unsuccessful. Do lots of voluntary work with people in the meantime and then apply for the graduate entry option. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending