The Student Room Group

Sociology SCLY1 May2015

How would you answer a 24 mark question on social policy? For SCLY1
something like
examine how social policy effects family life?
or assess sociological views of the impact of social policies on family life?
Reply 1
needing help on education and methodology any help????
Anyone predict what might come up for SCLY1 for the family unit ??
Reply 3
For Social Policy essays you can pretty much choose any legislation the government has introduced and explain the way it has affected families.
For Example (basic plan, obviously say more);
Legislation: In 2015, Shared Maternity Leave came into place.
Affect on family: Women no longer has to be the only one caring for child, the maternity leave can be distributed between the mother and the father.
Link to ideology (if you can): Feminists would commend this as it means the women no longer has to sacrifice her career/opportunities to care for child, responsibility is shared, also add a sociologist if you can.

Basic plan, I would do about 4 different policies, maybe one on gender, class, ethnicity and education but always link to the family. If you want a a higher grade always do 1 policy from a different country, for example, China's 1 child policy. Remember to always link to how it has affected the family, such as changing the structure, responsibility, income, support etc.

For Unit 1 I have a feeling Social Policy or Childhood may come up for the essays.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by gsonro
For Social Policy essays you can pretty much choose any legislation the government has introduced and explain the way it has affected families.
For Example (basic plan, obviously say more);
Legislation: In 2015, Shared Maternity Leave came into place.
Affect on family: Women no longer has to be the only one caring for child, the maternity leave can be distributed between the mother and the father.
Link to ideology (if you can): Feminists would commend this as it means the women no longer has to sacrifice her career/opportunities to care for child, responsibility is shared, also add a sociologist if you can.

Basic plan, I would do about 4 different policies, maybe one on gender, class, ethnicity and education but always link to the family. If you want a a higher grade always do 1 policy from a different country, for example, China's 1 child policy. Remember to always link to how it has affected the family, such as changing the structure, responsibility, income, support etc.

For Unit 1 I have a feeling Social Policy or Childhood may come up for the essays.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you this has been so helpful!!
Hi I was wondering if any of guys will help me how do I structure an essay for each of these things like the 20 marks and 24 marks for scly1 and scly2 I am so confused and seriously embarrassed any advice at all I am grateful for.
Reply 6
i have NO idea how to structure the families and households essays!!!! can anyone help??

Quick Reply

Latest