The Student Room Group

Friend practically going Topless - illegal or just Slutty?

A younger girl I know went on a semester abroad at uni last autumn, and since she got back she has changed a lot. She's always been a good laugh on nights out so we like to have her come along but the way she dresses has changed :eek:.

I don't like judging girls for the way they dress usually but our main problem is that she keeps wearing see through shirts/tops and no bra underneath. Most of the clubs we visit haven't had a problem with this (lol bouncers) but it's a bit of an embarrassment and we're not sure how to bring it up. The most we've done is one of my friends saying "Won't you be cold in that?" and her laughing and saying "Don't be jealous girls your bra size can't dress like this" (she wasn't calling my other friend fat btw, but my other friend is quite buxom whereas she's kind of flat chested so she meant she thinks she can show off more).

She's single so it's not THAT bad, but we're embarrassed to be in pictures with her or tagged on FB. We're also not even sure if it's allowed or not? (we're usually out at night but there are often police officers in the city centre here).

How do we speak to her? are we making too big a deal of this? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Well you're going out to the clubs at night, hardly any chance of you seeing some grumpy old SJWs. (oh wait, the police) So yeah, you have to inform her of the dangers of being caught [even just for showing a nipple]
I don't think breasts count towards the indecent exposure act xD

But then again if she gets complaints and the police hear of it, I think she could be prosecuted under the public order act ;/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Well you're going out to the clubs at night, hardly any chance of you seeing some grumpy old SJWs. (oh wait, the police)

Yeah, there are often fights on even weekday nights where I live so the police are often hanging around club entrances and whatnot. Last Christmas we even had 2 police officers come in to break up a bit of a boxing match in Oceana lol. Is it actually illegal tho? Unfortunately it is quite noticeable :eek:

Also none of us want to be in photos with her TBH and if they get uploaded to FB we're breaking the FB rules.
Reply 4
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I don't think breasts count towards the indecent exposure act xD

So its fine legally? (Obviously none of us are gonna be in trouble but we dont want someone we're out with to get stopped by the police either).

always thought women being topless was illegal in the UK lol
Why wouldn't she wear a bra if the top is see-through :eek:
Do you mean she walks around with them on show in broad daylight, going about her errands? Maybe send her off to live on a nudist beach or something...Hope this is a troll question :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
So its fine legally? (Obviously none of us are gonna be in trouble but we dont want someone we're out with to get stopped by the police either).

always thought women being topless was illegal in the UK lol

Social stigma I think, that and the public order act, which depends on who your wandering around naked in front of I guess.
Reply 7
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Why wouldn't she wear a bra if the top is see-through :eek:
Do you mean she walks around with them on show in broad daylight, going about her errands? Maybe send her off to live on a nudist beach or something...Hope this is a troll question :wink:

No, just on nights out (she wears the on trend see through tops like this one with no bra underneath):

https://marketplace.asos.com/listing/tops/black-oversized-sheer-tshirt-top-see-through-grunge-shirt/2038082

believe me i wish i was trolling. we dont want to be mean b/c shes a fun girl, but we don't know how to bring it up with her either without sounding like we're just trying to be catty
Reply 8
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Social stigma I think, that and the public order act, which depends on who your wandering around naked in front of I guess.

if a police officer spotted her (at night when i guess its more socially acceptable) could she be in trouble?
if a police officer spotted her (at night when i guess its more socially acceptable) could she be in trouble?

definitely, indecent exposure is often charged with community service. Let her know before it's too late
I'd be more worried about if guys think she's 'asking for it'.. I wear short skirts/hotpants/dresses etc on nights out and I sometimes worry about what guys think of me and also what they make think I want when I don't (especially when drunk!)... I get why you're embarrassed, I would be too, just make sure she's safe throughout the night! (And yes, I know its not other peoples responsibility and guys shouldn't think of doing anything without permission, its horrible that it does happen and certain precautions must be made).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I think the police officers would probably give her a warning (If it's bad enough) and move on, so as long as her semi-nudity is not upsetting the public they won't bother.

I just found the newest act on Sexual Offences and it says...

A person commits an offence if -

he intentionally exposes his genitals, and

he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress.

Punishments -

on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;

on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
There would need to be somebody around who suffered 'Harassment, alarm or distress'. A police officer can almost never have been found to have suffered 'Harassment, alarm or distress'.
Original post by A5ko
Where are all the feminists for equality now.. huh HUH!?

lol ikr

Apparently women don't have exposable genitals.
Original post by vanilla94
I'd be more worried about if guys think she's 'asking for it'.. I wear short skirts/hotpants/dresses etc on nights out and I sometimes worry about what guys think of me and also what they make think I want when I don't (especially when drunk!)... I get why you're embarrassed, I would be too, just make sure she's safe throughout the night! (And yes, I know its not other peoples responsibility and guys shouldn't think of doing anything without permission, its horrible that it does happen and certain precautions must be made).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fortunately shes quite tall but we still do worry, she gets very drunk sometimes :s-smilie:

how would you bring it up with her?
Yeah fortunately shes quite tall but we still do worry, she gets very drunk sometimes :s-smilie:

how would you bring it up with her?

Just tell her straight up!

To be honest though, as obscene as it looks she's entitled to dress how she pleases regardless of how bad it looks.

The most you can do is notify her of the issue and hope that she gets the memo.
Original post by Thomson2013
Just tell her straight up!

To be honest though, as obscene as it looks she's entitled to dress how she pleases regardless of how bad it looks.

The most you can do is notify her of the issue and hope that she gets the memo.

Thanks. yeah, we're not trying to be controlling or something. My other friend did hint at it like I said in the OP but she seems touchy every time we do that.

If its illegal though, that could be an issue..
TBH the coppers in a town centre on a weekend will have (or should have) far more important things to deal with than a girl wearing a slightly see-through top. Perhaps you should say it straight to her face - "Did you know you can see your nipples clearly through that top?" or something similar
I think you're actually coming across unintentionally patronising, I'm sure she is well aware of the legalities of her chosen outfits. It's a a top revealing nipples, not a top with a swastika on it, get over it. If you don't wish to be in a photo with her then inform her why, but to try and ask her to change her clothing choices to suit your sensibilities when it isn't offensive in the first place is just not on.
Original post by arson_fire
TBH the coppers in a town centre on a weekend will have (or should have) far more important things to deal with than a girl wearing a slightly see-through top. Perhaps you should say it straight to her face - "Did you know you can see your nipples clearly through that top?" or something similar

hopefully thanks :biggrin:. Sometimes it is VERY obvious tho (if she wears something like one of the white see through ones). I hope the police don't mind but we have had stuff like drunk Geordie girls flashing their boobs at people before and getting into trouble.

Might try that, dunno how to do it without her hating us. We're not the only people who have noticed though, a couple of times in club queues or waiting outside for a taxi guys have yelled out stuff at her.

Latest

Trending

Trending