The Student Room Group

Why is there few Documentaries of Pre-Historic Mammals?

There are some documentaries based mainly on Prehistoric mammals like the Walking with Beasts. But in general there is few documentaries of Mammals and Synapsids and the Miocece/Eocene era. Why is that the case?

Scroll to see replies

Most likely there isn't enough anticipated demand for such a documentary to meet production costs?
Because no one cares about these boring documentaries ?
Reply 3
Original post by goobypls

What do you find interesting then?
Reply 4
Original post by goobypls

Original post by askew116
Most likely there isn't enough anticipated demand for such a documentary to meet production costs?

Surely there should be, considering how many anti-intellectual and useless documentaries are each year with expensive production cost.
Original post by Synapsida

Surely there should be, considering how many anti-intellectual and useless documentaries are each year with expensive production cost.

Here's one that I found interesting, although it covers way back to the birth of the Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57merteLsBc
It's because dinosaurs are so integrated with popular culture. I've seen a couple of interesting ones over the years, but not many. Can't remember any titles off the top of my head either,
There are some documentaries based mainly on Prehistoric mammals like the Walking with Beasts. But in general there is few documentaries of Mammals and Synapsids and the Miocece/Eocene era. Why is that the case?

It is because most people simply don't care. Dinosaurs, sure everyone knows about them but a lot of people haven't even heard of the Miocene and Eocene, nether the less recognises species from that period of time (bar a very small few).

Prehistory in general isn't amazingly well received by the general public compared to a lot of other things but that's just the day we live in. You can give your argument to any period of time bar the dinosaurs as they are all not very well represented because people don't really want to know. Give a documentary about a celebrity, sure, people like knowing about the secret life of a celebrity. Carboniferous fauna...not so much.
Reply 8
Original post by Munrot07
It is because most people simply don't care. Dinosaurs, sure everyone knows about them but a lot of people haven't even heard of the Miocene and Eocene, nether the less recognises species from that period of time (bar a very small few).

Prehistory in general isn't amazingly well received by the general public compared to a lot of other things but that's just the day we live in. You can give your argument to any period of time bar the dinosaurs as they are all not very well represented because people don't really want to know. Give a documentary about a celebrity, sure, people like knowing about the secret life of a celebrity. Carboniferous fauna...not so much.

Learning about Carboniferous fauna is more interesting then watching an Celebrity doing an boobjob because we can learn about the origins carbon based fossil and how those fauna had an impact on the environment that tetrapod (four-legged terrestrial vertebrates) lived in.
Learning about Carboniferous fauna is more interesting then watching an Celebrity doing an boobjob because we can learn about the origins carbon based fossil and how those fauna had an impact on the environment that tetrapod (four-legged terrestrial vertebrates) lived in.

Alas, that is not how the general public views it.
Reply 10
Alas, that is not how the general public views it.

I am sure more people watch the 'Walking with...' series than Kim Kardshian (well in the UK at-least)
I am sure more people watch the 'Walking with...' series than Kim Kardshian (well in the UK at-least)

You have to admit the Dinosaurs part of that series was the most popular because people do like dinosaurs but in the general public they will just not have the same level of interest in prehistoric life as other topics (I gave celebrities as one example but there are many others)
Reply 12
You have to admit the Dinosaurs part of that series was the most popular because people do like dinosaurs but in the general public they will just not have the same level of interest in prehistoric life as other topics (I gave celebrities as one example but there are many others)

Do you have interest in Prehistoric life?
Do you have interest in Prehistoric life?

Massively...but then again I am an evolutionary biologist :P
Reply 14
Massively...but then again I am an evolutionary biologist :P

Really? Awesome! You are already an friend of mine :smile:. Which University do you attend? How do find the course?
Really? Awesome! You are already an friend of mine :smile:. Which University do you attend? How do find the course?

Imperial College London :smile: Absolutely loving it here :smile:
Because the earth is only 4000 years old, as a Bearded, white-man in the sky made it in 6 days and put two mammals in a garden with a snake.

It says so in the Bible, hence must be true
It's a crying shame.

What about you? Student or is this a general interest? :smile: Always nice to meet another prehistory nut :P
Reply 19
What about you? Student or is this a general interest? :smile: Always nice to meet another prehistory nut :P

University of Coventry next term. Currently at College. Prehistory is general interest and I am to do Biological and chemical science after summer. I love life sciences in general but I had rough patches in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest