The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Not had my contract yet but have log in for online portal. Few tasks to do on there and reading. Can't wait really happy it's a great opportunity
Just had my call from British Gas stating I start the Leicester academy on the 1st August ( subject to background checks).. Can not wait had my interview at the end of March but was unsuccessful, but would be kept on a reserve list and finally after being patient got my call today
Anyone else starting on the 1st ??
Just had an answer phone message stating that they had some info about my application. Couldnt get through to anyone when I rang back as I think I was too late. Not sure if it's going to be a job offer or telling me my 6 months on the waiting list are up. This is killing me now!
What area you from
Original post by Pjharvey
What area you from
South devon
Original post by Jpargyle2
Just had an answer phone message stating that they had some info about my application. Couldnt get through to anyone when I rang back as I think I was too late. Not sure if it's going to be a job offer or telling me my 6 months on the waiting list are up. This is killing me now!

I missed my call too n got the same. When i rang back they offered me the job. Im sure its the same for you as i was just about the 6 month mark too. Good luck
I applied for the role a couple of months ago. Had my assessment in Leeds. I kept an eye out on here for advice and tips and I must say it definitely helped! Some great advice and now today I got my call offering me the position :biggrin: I start at the end of July at the Leeds academy. Great opportunity and thanks for the advice on here!
Original post by ChrisCyrus
I missed my call too n got the same. When i rang back they offered me the job. Im sure its the same for you as i was just about the 6 month mark too. Good luck
Oh man i hope you are right! Thanks a lot :smile:
Oh man i hope you are right! Thanks a lot :smile:
Got through to them earlier and thry offered me the job! Delighted! Starting on 18th july in wales :smile:
Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Got through to them earlier and thry offered me the job! Delighted! Starting on 18th july in wales :smile:

Told u lol. Congrats and well done
Can anybody tell me the shift pattern for this role?

Thanks
Original post by Houghsx
Can anybody tell me the shift pattern for this role?

Thanks

It changes. You know when they give you your rotas
Original post by zonked11
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering for the people who know people currently doing this job i.e. out in the field on their own or doing it for them selves now, how are you actually finding it? Do you keep in contact with other smart meter engineers? Do you have work party's or get togethers?

The reason why I'm asking is because i've always worked in a office with a team & my current employer I have been with for almost 4 years. My job isn't an amazing job but I have a easy life doing what I do, there is usually always a night out every other month or a department night out etc, the latest i'll work during the week is 8pm, but we don't do that many late shifts so usually finish 4pm-5pm, Saturday 9-5 & Sunday 10-4 if and when we work weekends. I can usually book holiday for when I want on short notice and my take home for 2015 was £35,400. (incentive is included in that pay so not guaranteed)

I'm just worried that if I get the job I'm not going to enjoy working on my own etc I can handle the pay cut going of the basis that this is a career for life and progression could follow I'm just really worried I may not like the change of life style.

This time last year I had my heart set on this job but the positions were filled before I could get an assessment date, I was going through a bit of a ruff time in my work so just wanted out but currently now life is good.

Any bit of feedback you give me if your actually doing right now I'd really appreciate.

Thanks all :smile:

I just did a week to get experience. Vack at academy now. I enjoyed it and cant see being alone as a problem. Nights out etc depend on your team which is dependant on what area you work in.
Original post by zonked11
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering for the people who know people currently doing this job i.e. out in the field on their own or doing it for them selves now, how are you actually finding it? Do you keep in contact with other smart meter engineers? Do you have work party's or get togethers?

The reason why I'm asking is because i've always worked in a office with a team & my current employer I have been with for almost 4 years. My job isn't an amazing job but I have a easy life doing what I do, there is usually always a night out every other month or a department night out etc, the latest i'll work during the week is 8pm, but we don't do that many late shifts so usually finish 4pm-5pm, Saturday 9-5 & Sunday 10-4 if and when we work weekends. I can usually book holiday for when I want on short notice and my take home for 2015 was £35,400. (incentive is included in that pay so not guaranteed)

I'm just worried that if I get the job I'm not going to enjoy working on my own etc I can handle the pay cut going of the basis that this is a career for life and progression could follow I'm just really worried I may not like the change of life style.

This time last year I had my heart set on this job but the positions were filled before I could get an assessment date, I was going through a bit of a ruff time in my work so just wanted out but currently now life is good.

Any bit of feedback you give me if your actually doing right now I'd really appreciate.

Thanks all :smile:

Obviously it's not going to be as social as working in an office, but your in and out of customers houses all day, I used to do a similar job when I left school and you meet all sorts of different people, some bad some good some weird lol that's one of the things I'm looking forward to with this job after being sat in a lorry by myself 13+ hours a day
Reply 1155
Anyone actually started the role and out in the field yet? Just wondering what the standard shift pattern is, 8-4 Mon-Fri? And one Saturday every 4 weeks or something? Also I understand on call to be roughly every 4/5 weeks and either Mon-Thurs or Fri-Sun, just wondering about the on call pay, i.e how much you get if you are not called out v how much you get if you are?
Just applied for Swansea area, how long did you guys wait to hear about phone interview. really like the sound of this job !
Took 2 weeks for me to get phone interview.
Original post by Swanseajack91
Just applied for Swansea area, how long did you guys wait to hear about phone interview. really like the sound of this job !

Hey any updates on your application?

:smile:
Reply 1159
Hello folks

I applied for this recenlty for the west of scotland area, got an email saying application was of a high calibre, etc

Assuming the next step will be the telephone interview once they've sorted through all of the appliications.

Has anyone done the telephone interview recently?

What sort of questions did they ask, still similar to the ones mentioned earlier in this thread?

Cheers
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending