The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Hi guys,

anyone currently applying for one of the above roles? Or have recently tried?

Ive got my telephone interview tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any tips?

Im feeling fairly confident, just sometimes doubt myself that ive missed something they might ask.

I understand the questions are competency based so ive got a few examples of recent good customer service, teamwork, communication skills etc in mind.

Also anyone currently doing or previous done this job?

ive read a few bad reviews online that once you are in they are quite pushy with sales and wondered how true this is.

There is no mention of sales at all in the info provided up to this stage.

Many thanks,

Dan

Scroll to see replies

hi danive got a start date to attend leicester BG academy next month. Obviously passed the phone interview and assessment at Leeds.the phone interview is quite informal and basically the person interviewing was asking of past situations and experiences relevant to her questions,just a case of putting the story across in order of explaining the situation you was in,what your task was,what your actions were and what the end result was.the assessment centre consisted of 3 parts,practical(just stripping wire ends and connecting them to junctions according to a diagram ) very easy imo.a interview(basically same as the phone interview but face to face) and a group discussion(putting ideas of your own across to the group based on a scenario which you will read before discussing).I have no customer service skills whatsoever and my working background is mainly of heavy engineering.so i was surprised to have been offered the job?! just be yourself and dont worry too much.on the flip side i have been trying to research the actual job and find it hard to get opinions of the job and pay.to date i am seriously considering the job as i have read on some forums of BG driving their employees to sell sell sell,and the actual OTE is based on the sales you produce,which wasnt mentioned or hasnt to this date but looking back in the assessment phase there are definite signs of this and i am now of the belief that you would be a salesman as much as a smart meter installer. im guessing that i would be on a 18k basic salary with unrealistic targets and committed to a ****e job for 3 years as BG would claim 9k 6k 3k in years 1 2 3 if you were to leave to reclaim training expenses spent on you. so as i start in 5 weeks im at a crossroads and would like to know if anyone is currently working for BG as a smart meter expert could tell me of the academy process and the actual day to day routine of the job?
Reply 2
Original post by Stobo91
Hi guys,

anyone currently applying for one of the above roles? Or have recently tried?

Ive got my telephone interview tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any tips?

Im feeling fairly confident, just sometimes doubt myself that ive missed something they might ask.

I understand the questions are competency based so ive got a few examples of recent good customer service, teamwork, communication skills etc in mind.

Also anyone currently doing or previous done this job?

ive read a few bad reviews online that once you are in they are quite pushy with sales and wondered how true this is.

There is no mention of sales at all in the info provided up to this stage.

Many thanks,

Dan

Hi How did the interview go, I had one yesterday, The lady said I passed but still was not guaranteed to make assessment. Did they say the same to you. Seems strange as one of my mates who works for them was told the date and location during the phone call.
Hi,
I have my telephone interview coming up this Friday.
Can anyone give me any tips? I'll buy you ice-cream :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by llchr15ll
Hi,

They ask you normal things like about the role, about British gas, then questions about teamwork, customer service, hands on work.

It should last maybe less than 30 mins, then at the end they will put you on hold for like couple of mins then tell you if you passed.
Reply 5
Hi,

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for that buddy!
Have they got back to you yet?
Reply 7
Thanks for that buddy!
Have they got back to you yet?

Yh just today I got some emails for booking Assessment centre . They should tell you on the phone though if you passed the telephone interview or not.
Original post by zanon
Yh just today I got some emails for booking Assessment centre . They should tell you on the phone though if you passed the telephone interview or not.

Ahh wicked stuff! :smile:
Fingers crossed for you! Let me know how you get on :smile:
Reply 9
Ahh wicked stuff! :smile:
Fingers crossed for you! Let me know how you get on :smile:

Did you have the interview, how was it
Original post by zanon
Did you have the interview, how was it

Lol, it was really easy! They asked me pretty much the same questions as your self. I passed, I just have to wait until Tuesday to find out if I've been shortlisted to assessment.
Reply 11
Lol, it was really easy! They asked me pretty much the same questions as your self. I passed, I just have to wait until Tuesday to find out if I've been shortlisted to assessment.

Now for the next stage :wink:
Reply 12

Have you ever been to an assessment centre for any company, do you think the interview questions will be similar to the phone one.
Original post by zanon
Have you ever been to an assessment centre for any company, do you think the interview questions will be similar to the phone one.

No mate, never. From my research I think they may be similar though.

I was told by the telephone interviewer that I'd get a response by yesterday to see whether or not I had been put through to assessment. Nothing yet though. How long after your telephone interview did you find out if you'd made it to the next stage?
Reply 14
If they ask you who your current supplier is, you probably don't want to say EON.
Reply 15
No mate, never. From my research I think they may be similar though.

I was told by the telephone interviewer that I'd get a response by yesterday to see whether or not I had been put through to assessment. Nothing yet though. How long after your telephone interview did you find out if you'd made it to the next stage?

I had mine on a friday, got the emails the following monday but I think it depends if the assessment date has been set or not. Which area did you apply for?
Original post by zanon
I had mine on a friday, got the emails the following monday but I think it depends if the assessment date has been set or not. Which area did you apply for?

I'm in South Wales-East.
Guess I'll have to give them a call
Reply 17
I'm in South Wales-East.
Guess I'll have to give them a call

I just had my assessment today, dont think it went well.
I will find out within 7 days they said probably monday or tuesday.
Original post by zanon
I just had my assessment today, dont think it went well.
I will find out within 7 days they said probably monday or tuesday.

Aww no gutted for you mate! Where do you think you went wrong?
They said I'd have to wait up to two weeks before I see an invite!
Reply 19
Aww no gutted for you mate! Where do you think you went wrong?
They said I'd have to wait up to two weeks before I see an invite!

I think overall it didnt go well. Especially the interview and group discussion. but im hoping.

Quick Reply

Latest