The Student Room Group

am i the only one like this?

I realise that everytime i like a guy, i lose my identity in the process. I begin to like things he likes and do things he does. When i fall out of love, i become empty again like there is no one to tell me what to "like" anymore, and it kinda feels good. But of course, some of the things i begin to like because of them i still do continue liking it (for example rock music, despite my love for classical music too) but alot of things though i just realise i don't like them anyway.okay my main worry is i think i am too easy to lose my identity when im in love, but maybe thats the way to discover my real identity? Do you get what i mean here?
TL;DR
Perfectly normal. Infatuation is real. For example I watched a whole series of naruto whilst with a guy. I HATE anime.
Reply 3
I can relate to you as well. But I think it's up to some extent. I don't go all crazy obsessing the stuff that my bf likes
Reply 4
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I'm a bit like that, but in relationships with friends. I've tried to keep my personality and things that I like as they were but I know it gets hard sometimes. You're not alone my friend! I hope this helps :smile:
always be yourself, dont change for a guy
When I was younger (still do it to an extent sometimes), I'd find myself suddenly passionate for the same hobbies/movies/music/food/etc as my boyfriend/friends/family. Especially when I missed them. It is possibly, partly due to the fact that I was still in the process of developing my sense of identity. But I think a lot of it was because I came to associate all these things with the people I loved and I was so moved by them... this was kind of my slightly twisted way of loving them and remembering them.

Example, I became best friends with a girl I lived with 3 years ago. She loved eating Kinder Bueno bars. I thought they were nice enough but I never understood her obsession with them. I also despised leopard print, hot pink and many of her other great loves. When she graduated and moved back home to Swindon, I found myself drawn to all these things, felt a little warmer and more hopeful whenever I hate Bueno bars. It felt nostalgic. So before I knew it, I found myself constantly buying them. I think this was my weird way of missing her lol like cherishing and trying to grasp at little bits of her personality and keeping her here with me. Cause I love my people for everything they are and I miss them terribly when they go away. I'm highly independent so I keep it to myself but these little things are like my 'I miss you' symptoms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending