The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im thinking of applying for medicine in 09 but do you think i should just leave or what?
I got 9 GCSE's in the following;
A* in religious studies(aqa)
A in maths(ccea)
A in english(ccea)
A in english literature (ccea)
A in french(aqa)
A IN Geography(ccea)
A in Chemistry(ccea)
A in Biology(ccea)
B in Physics(ccea)

Im currently doing my AS's in chemistry, biology, geography and french
and in my january modules i got
geography 105/105=A
French 72/90=A
Chemistry 84/105=A
Biology 73/100-B (repeating in the summer)

The good thing is that its modular.

I would appreciate all the help i can get. I just dont know if I should apply, or is it a waste of a choice. Thanks guys
It's really up to you. Personally, I'm put off by the fact that they do not interview which can be an advantage for some applicants but medicine itself is very competitive without the need for the stakes to be raised higher with a highly oversubscribed course at Southampton.

You've got as good of a chance as the next guy which isn't saying much though. It's all down to personal preference. The choice is yours.
Reply 22
Hey1001
I just dont know if I should apply, or is it a waste of a choice. Thanks guys

If you think medicine is a waste of a choice, then maybe it isnt for you. When it comes to applying you need to show your commitment and understanding, not suggest you applied for it to use up your choices. Most likely scenario is that all your choices should be medicine/medically related.

In terms of grades they are fine. Read each universties prospectus and find out whose requirements you meet in terms of GCSEs. Your a level choices are good also, can't see any problems there, and your January exam results are fine, you just need to aim for AAB/AAA in your A2.

You havent mentioned work experience, which as always is a must. Read through some threads on here to get some idea as to what is expected.
_bonnie
If you think medicine is a waste of a choice, then maybe it isnt for you. When it comes to applying you need to show your commitment and understanding, not suggest you applied for it to use up your choices. Most likely scenario is that all your choices should be medicine/medically related.

In terms of grades they are fine. Read each universties prospectus and find out whose requirements you meet in terms of GCSEs. Your a level choices are good also, can't see any problems there, and your January exam results are fine, you just need to aim for AAB/AAA in your A2.

You havent mentioned work experience, which as always is a must. Read through some threads on here to get some idea as to what is expected.

i think that they meant was applying to soton a waste of a choice, not the medicine application in itself! at least i would hope so! :wink:
Reply 24
Subbacultcha
i think that they meant was applying to soton a waste of a choice, not the medicine application in itself! at least i would hope so! :wink:

ah my mistake :blushing:

Latest

Trending

Trending