The Student Room Group

Southampton A102 (BM6) 2023 Entry

Welcome to the University of Southampton A102 (BM6) 2023 Entry Discussion.

Previous thread:
2022 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7109208
2021 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2624819
2020 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022670

For general information:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/medicine-bm6-widening-participation-degree-bmbs

Entry Requirements:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/medicine-bm6-widening-participation-degree-bmbs#entry

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck! :bl:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am a current Year 13 student and am wondering if applying to Southampton is possible with my UCAT score.

My Statistics:
GCSE

Predicted Grades:
A*A*A*A*

UCAT Score: 2720 B2
Original post by medic0912
Hi, I am a current Year 13 student and am wondering if applying to Southampton is possible with my UCAT score.

My Statistics:
GCSE

Predicted Grades:
A*A*A*A*

UCAT Score: 2720 B2

I think you meant to post on the a100 thread?
not sure if ppl know but I called them up today and they said that they'll probably give out 32 offers this year.
does anyone know how many were interviewed for 2022
Reply 5
They always have 32 spaces available on bm6 - my friend said they gave out almost 200 interview spaces when she was applying (2020 entry)!!
(edited 1 year ago)
can't tell if that's a good offer ratio or not :frown:

Original post by meddem
They always have 32 spaces available on bm6 - my friend said they gave out almost 200 interview spaces when she was applying (2020 entry)!!
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
Original post by meddem

Don't know where I saw this but didnt they offer 109 places in 2020. It seems pretty different from the other years so I'm not sure if I'm correct
I'm thinking of applying to the bm6 because I got a really bad ucat score, so wouldn't be eligible for the A100 course but got good GCSEs and predicted A-level grades so what would my chances of being accepted be? (Btw I meet their widening access criteria)
Also since they have limited places do other people with high predicted grades also apply to BM6 and stand a better chance of getting in?
thats what Im also thinking but I also need another pov hopefully someone could give their opinion

Original post by rhodes_island
I'm thinking of applying to the bm6 because I got a really bad ucat score, so wouldn't be eligible for the A100 course but got good GCSEs and predicted A-level grades so what would my chances of being accepted be? (Btw I meet their widening access criteria)
Also since they have limited places do other people with high predicted grades also apply to BM6 and stand a better chance of getting in?
What weighting do southapton give the personal statement?
Reply 12
Original post by rhodes_island

If you meet the BM6 academic criteria as well as the eligibility criteria (at least 3 out of 6) then they will judge who will be invited to the interview based on their answers to the Three Questions (200 words max each):
1. Explain why the BM6 programme at Southampton is right for you.
2. What motivates you to study medicine?
3. Reflect on how a challenging experience you have had will help you as a medical student.

The eligibility forms and Three Questions are sent in early Nov to everyone who has applied to BM6 on UCAS.

So it looks like it doesnt matter whether you have high predicted grades as long as they are B thats fine and it is the 3Qs that matter :smile:
Reply 13
Hi, I wanted to ask whether it would be worth applying for the BM6 programme, considering my stats:

My stats are:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 8
English literature - 8
Geography - 8
German - 7
Religious studies - 7
English language - 6
Health & social care (BTEC) - Distinction*

UCAT = 2630 B3
VR = 610
DM = 670
QR = 670
AR = 680

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Psychology = A*

Work experience:
- 1 week placement at King's College Hospital
- 1 week placement at Epsom Hospital
- 1 week GP placement
- Volunteering at local hospital for a couple of weeks
- Volunteering at Barnado's (charity shop) for 6 months

I also meet 3/6 of the WP indicators.

I wanted to ask whether they lower the UCAT cut-offs, or consider people with lower scores when applying to this programme? And how many applicants apply, get interviewed, and are offered places for this course?

Thanks sm :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by docxo
Hi, I wanted to ask whether it would be worth applying for the BM6 programme, considering my stats:

My stats are:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 8
English literature - 8
Geography - 8
German - 7
Religious studies - 7
English language - 6
Health & social care (BTEC) - Distinction*

UCAT = 2630 B3
VR = 610
DM = 670
QR = 670
AR = 680

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Psychology = A*

Work experience:
- 1 week placement at King's College Hospital
- 1 week placement at Epsom Hospital
- 1 week GP placement
- Volunteering at local hospital for a couple of weeks
- Volunteering at Barnado's (charity shop) for 6 months

I also meet 3/6 of the WP indicators.

I wanted to ask whether they lower the UCAT cut-offs, or consider people with lower scores when applying to this programme? And how many applicants apply, get interviewed, and are offered places for this course?

Thanks sm :smile:

Looks like you're meeting their criteria! And for BM6 they only need you to take the UCAT but they dont rank based on it so there's never any cut off :smile: I think they have about 200 interviews for 32 spaces on the course
I meet 2 criteria but my IMD score is not in the lowest 20%, should I still apply as I go to a bad school and meet other contextual criteria which they haven't listed?
If anyone has applied previously, how do they ask for proof of the eligibility criteria?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Original post by flyingbunny.80
I meet 2 criteria but my IMD score is not in the lowest 20%, should I still apply as I go to a bad school and meet other contextual criteria?
If anyone has applied previously, how do they ask for proof of the eligibility criteria?

That's what i was wondering too - e.g how would they ask for proof of first generation entering higher education? If any previous candidates who applied could answer this for us, that would be very much appreciated !
Reply 17
Original post by flyingbunny.80
I meet 2 criteria but my IMD score is not in the lowest 20%, should I still apply as I go to a bad school and meet other contextual criteria which they haven't listed?

You have to meet the minimum 3 criteria that they are listing otherwise it is an automatic rejection : (
Reply 18
Original post by docxo
That's what i was wondering too - e.g how would they ask for proof of first generation entering higher education? If any previous candidates who applied could answer this for us, that would be very much appreciated !

There is really no way this could be proven so they just take your word on that! :biggrin:

However if they found out that you have lied on your application this will most likely impact your future applications with Southampton if you're rejected this time (they might just reject all your future applications) and if you started the course they might even kick you off of it so I don't think it is worth it haha
Original post by meddem
There is really no way this could be proven so they just take your word on that! :biggrin:

However if they found out that you have lied on your application this will most likely impact your future applications with Southampton if you're rejected this time (they might just reject all your future applications) and if you started the course they might even kick you off of it so I don't think it is worth it haha

Basically my parents are separated and I am dependent on my mum, who works as a receptionist in a gp. My dad is a doctor and holds a degree but my mum does not so would I meet the criteria for "first generation applicant into higher education"?

They aren't divorced but are still separated
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending