The Student Room Group

The gym is closed 'til Wednesday! Argh!

That's messed up my routine. I was meant to go today and on Tuesday (every-other-day routine) so now what do I do? I went there today and saw the notice up and was really peed off and spent today lazing around and eating xmas junk. What can I do instead? I have one single dumbbell here. I was thinking maybe I should go running in the morning tomorrow as the roads will be empty. But I want to do something now because I wanted to keep up this routine.

Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry, i'm not really sure what i can say to help. But mine is closed until the 2nd, and i'm pleased :wink:
Reply 2
Wow dude. Take it easy. It isn't like your going to binge eat and gain several pounds.

Are you?
if you really can't bear to go without exercise you can always go for a long run. The pavements are never closed for xmas. Personally I think you're crazy-why not just relax and enjoy the one day of the year when it's officially ok to eat junk food and do no exercise? Happy xmas (and x-ercise! :biggrin:)
There is a lot you can do on your on, jogging as you suggested or cycling for cardio. For resistance you could try chin ups, push ups/press ups and all that stuff. You dont need a gym to work out.
Reply 5
Hi,

Mine is shut until the 27th. But I can cope... 25min or so of HIIT on the bike at home should see me through the 26th, and I went today, so it's really only one training day missed. I thought it out before though, so I'll survive - it's good to take a break once in a while and let your central nervous system recuperate!

- Have a fab. Christmas, y'all :smile:!

- me.
Reply 6
Enjoy the time off? Unless your aiming to compete in the future then does it even matter? Even if you are going to compete, again, a couple days off won't effect you.
Reply 7
I know im anoyed too, my gym opens weds, but on weds I usually got kung fu, and thats not on till next year, and instead im being made to go lakeside for shopping. Today the gym shut at 2pm, around the time i woke up lol
yeah i feel annoyed that it will be closed but am not THAT bothered if its closed its closed! just have to wait till the new year now :frown:
It's Christmas for gods sake, stop worrying and enjoy it :smile:
Reply 10
If you must go for a run but otherwise, spend time with your family!
Reply 11
yeah... nor going to gym for a week really throws me off, im just addicted to the endorphines :-) next year im thinking 5 day a week routines.
Have you not heard of walking? It's free too.
Reply 13
Talya
If you must go for a run but otherwise, spend time with your family!

its toooooooooooooooooooooooo cold to run, plus im not up for doing sprints without someone bodying me
Get over it. You speak like it's the end of the world. It's really not such a big deal
Reply 15
Jeremy
yeah... nor going to gym for a week really throws me off, im just addicted to the endorphines :-) next year im thinking 5 day a week routines.

yeh 5 day a week is alright i sort of do that depending on if im awake on time or not on saturadys.

plus dont you find that the less days you go to the gym, it really gets you frustrated and pissed off so you dont feel gd about yourself, like you feel skinny or fat
you guys never heard of rest periods?
take advantage of the enforced break to rest your body, allow it to grow and recover, then hit the gym hard again in the New Year
Reply 17
MagicNMedicine
you guys never heard of rest periods?
take advantage of the enforced break to rest your body, allow it to grow and recover, then hit the gym hard again in the New Year

i tried that in the summer when i went to shagaluf (magaluf) for 2 weeks, when i came back i was more ripped from running and stuff in da morning to burn off the drink n al da buffet food, but it took me ages to get evrything on the same weights i used to do
Ive been home for a week (300 miles from my gym) and im already getting withdrawl symptoms. Plus all the Xmas junk food. I feel so lethargic and bloated, its **** :frown:
Reply 19
i feel so awful after blacking out from half a bottle of vodka yesterday, and I was having so much turkey - normally i would think YES protein! but i just felt really ill. And now i feel skinny/bloated/heavy all at once and its not nice.

I don't understand people who don't go gym that often, like in a week you just notice the pump 'deflates' - It's really horrible, of course the muscle hasn't actually decreased, I'm just used to having blood pumping there. and its also a bonus to be able to cup your chest haha when it feels all jelly like after a good workout - great feeling after a gym!

ahhhh sorry got carried away,
some people prefer moderation, but if youve been to a gym more then a year its easy enough to work out and not feel any fatigue the next day so you have to push yourself that bit more. your body becomes 'adjusted' to the routine and so therefore you REALLY have to go intense with low rep work.

Latest

Trending

Trending