The Student Room Group

Questions about life at Concord college

Hii!

I’m not sure if I’m posting this question in the right section lol, but this question is for anyone who goes to / has been / knows about Concord college.

I have been given an offer to start sixth form at Concord in September this year, but there’s a few random questions about the college I have before I make my final decision. These questions are more directed towards the life of the school in general, since I am already aware that the academics are excellent. I’ll be so grateful for any answers please:

- Do the students often speak their native language during break time, or at school in general? I can only speak English (my background is Indian though), so if this is the case it might be hard for me to forge friendships easily.
- How often are students allowed to leave the college to go out to town? What is the curfew? Do students often go to town though anyway, or do they instead stay at the college and study?
- Do friend groups tend to be single-sex or mixed in the school?
- Do students tend to stick with other students of their own nationality?
- Can you use the school gym everyday to work out? (I am an avid gymgoer and fitness means a lot to me, so I’m looking for about 1 hour minimum 45min using the gym everyday. I know that other boarding schools offer free full-time gym membership for their local gym, but I don’t think Concord does)
- I've been told I'll be in a single room with a shared bathroom. How many people normally share a bathroom in Concord? and do students tend to hog the bathroom lol (i know this is a bit of a dumb question 😆)

Any other additional information you have would be a bonus too!!

Thank you !!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
bump!
Reply 2
Original post by twilight1234
1. Do the students often speak their native language during break time, or at school in general? I can only speak English (my background is Indian though), so if this is the case it might be hard for me to forge friendships easily.
2. How often are students allowed to leave the college to go out to town? What is the curfew? Do students often go to town though anyway, or do they instead stay at the college and study?
3. Do friend groups tend to be single-sex or mixed in the school?
4. Do students tend to stick with other students of their own nationality?
5. Can you use the school gym everyday to work out? (I am an avid gymgoer and fitness means a lot to me, so I’m looking for about 1 hour minimum 45min using the gym everyday. I know that other boarding schools offer free full-time gym membership for their local gym, but I don’t think Concord does)
6. I've been told I'll be in a single room with a shared bathroom. How many people normally share a bathroom in Concord? and do students tend to hog the bathroom lol (i know this is a bit of a dumb question 😆)

1. If everyone in a group speaks the same language, they may use their native languages, but when there are mixed languages English is used.
2. There are buses to town on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning. Some students get taxis. I can't remember what time you're meant to be back, if it is deal-breaker I can find out. Exeats are regularly given out. It isn't a prison. There are also lots of trips organised at the weekends, to Birmingham etc.
3. Both.
4. Both same and mixed. There are lots of factors over who become friends - nationality is only one. Does it matter to you where people come from? Probably the more important factors are: whether students are already friends from lower school and whether they are in the same classes as each other.
5. It is open every evening.
6. It depends on which boarding house you're in - most 6th formers have en-suite rooms.

Happy to answer anything else you're interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending