The Student Room Group

Anyone need help revising AS politics?

Im retaking the year because I failed my sciences, though I got A last year and retaking it for the hell of it. I really dk how to revise since iv been through this subject a million times so thought Id just help other people XD
yes tell me how to write 2/10/25/40 markers the structure and how to revise for the subject i feel like my revision isn't enough
Original post by Mvpmb
Im retaking the year because I failed my sciences, though I got A last year and retaking it for the hell of it. I really dk how to revise since iv been through this subject a million times so thought Id just help other people XD

I'm retaking too! I Need help with unit 2! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sophiamarni
yes tell me how to write 2/10/25/40 markers the structure and how to revise for the subject i feel like my revision isn't enough

This is for EDEXCEL, but i did AQA last year, basically for AQA you always use a mixture of the source and your own knowledge in Edexcel 5 markers you are either using 100% the source or 100% your own knowledge

Il go through that in order:

1. 5 Markers are DIFFERENT in unit 1 and unit 2 in terms of how you should structure them:

Unit 1 will usually be a definition question, try to answer it in less then 8 lines following this structure:

- Two/Three factual points about the term, DO NOT WAFFLE just make the points and get the ma

- The last two marks are for explanations about your points, all you need to do is expand on the fact you said i.e.

Point: Direct Democracy is a pure form of democracy(1 mark)

Expansion: Because the electorate themselves vote on decisions rather than elected representatives(1Mark)

Example: Practiced in ancient greece(1 mark)

So just do this for two points and you will 100% get all 5 marks

For 10 markers you essentially just do this but for 2-3 paragraphs

In Unit 2, THE POINTS MUST COME FROM THE SOURCE and the explanation must be based on information given in the source. You effectively follow the same structure, except without using your own knowledge

(take me a while to do 40/25's cuz its a lot more complicated)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lizmoo0721
I'm retaking too! I Need help with unit 2! :smile:

what specifically?
Original post by Mvpmb
what specifically?

How to revise for constituion, PM & cab, parliament in the space of 2 weeks... :')
Reply 6
How to revise for constituion, PM & cab, parliament in the space of 2 weeks... :':wink:

Yeah if you try and learn the whole topics it'd be impossible ,just focus on the exam relevant points and you'll steamroll through it in two weeks, I recommend this revision guide in summaries whole topics in a few pages

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Government-Politics/dp/1444154877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431025911&sr=8-1&keywords=Politics+revision+guide

If you do AQA:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Government-Politics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444161881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431025943&sr=8-1&keywords=Politics+revision+guide+AQA
Original post by Mvpmb
Yeah if you try and learn the whole topics it'd be impossible ,just focus on the exam relevant points and you'll steamroll through it in two weeks, I recommend this revision guide in summaries whole topics in a few pages

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Government-Politics/dp/1444154877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431025911&sr=8-1&keywords=Politics+revision+guide

If you do AQA:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Government-Politics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444161881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431025943&sr=8-1&keywords=Politics+revision+guide+AQA

Thanks (: I do edexcel, I'm not sure if I need to focus that much on it. I was 4 UMS of an A last year and need an A this year for my University choice. I feel like I should spend more time on my A2 but idkkkkk
Reply 8
Thanks (: I do edexcel, I'm not sure if I need to focus that much on it. I was 4 UMS of an A last year and need an A this year for my University choice. I feel like I should spend more time on my A2 but idkkkkk

Yeah you obv know all the basics so just make sure when you revise you focus only on Points/Examples you use in exams, and you can revise really quickly. Also make sure you don't get caught out by a dodgy question in the exam, so just read the specification to know everything they can ask you, two last tipss that Im drilling into my self to make sure I dont go down a grade lol:

1. Use mark schemes/T.Book Prepare model answers for the most likely questions, so if they come up(which 50% of the time they do) you can breeze through it with an A

2. For difficult questions(especially 40 markers) remember half the marks are just for AO1, so even if you dont understand the question just throw a million facts in there and you'll get loads of marks, and just quote the question constanlty to pretend your answering it lol, just like politicians do!

good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mvpmb

Hey, I guess I need your help then
I'm doing AS Government and Politics aqa and my aim is to achieve A grade
During the year I was working hard, attending every lesson and doing homework on time
But despite that I'm still struggling to get a high mark even with homework, no matter how much effort I put into it
Last week I did a piece of work on "Parliament", the essay question was about "Is the Westminster Parliament fulfill representative function" and I totally failed it. I wanted to make it so good and show my ability to get an A grade that I have spent 2 evenings on that and as the result I got U (lol)
My teacher said it was a "car crash"
So, my weakest point is an essay (btw before I started the course I though I am quite good in that). I tend to waffle and get to the point for long. I may say that my knowledge is good and I don't need to spend much time before the exam to memorize all stuff. I just need to understand how to write high-profiled politics essay
Otherwise, I'm completely giving up
Reply 10
Original post by Anastassia R
Hey, I guess I need your help then
I'm doing AS Government and Politics aqa and my aim is to achieve A grade
During the year I was working hard, attending every lesson and doing homework on time
But despite that I'm still struggling to get a high mark even with homework, no matter how much effort I put into it
Last week I did a piece of work on "Parliament", the essay question was about "Is the Westminster Parliament fulfill representative function" and I totally failed it. I wanted to make it so good and show my ability to get an A grade that I have spent 2 evenings on that and as the result I got U (lol)
My teacher said it was a "car crash"
So, my weakest point is an essay (btw before I started the course I though I am quite good in that). I tend to waffle and get to the point for long. I may say that my knowledge is good and I don't need to spend much time before the exam to memorize all stuff. I just need to understand how to write high-profiled politics essay
Otherwise, I'm completely giving up

Firstly i would;t worry too much what about what your teacher thinks, I constantly got U's on essays its usually because my teacher was marking it to Uni standard cause that's where she studied politics. What matters is what examiners think and its all about scoring marks efficiently. Its tempting to ramble on, but if you do that you just risk marks so just follow this structure

1. Introduction:

State some general facts about the topic(to score AO1 Marks) and then relate it back to the question. A really easy way to pick up simple marks in your introduction is to look at the key words for the topic in the specification, and just throw as many as you can in there. Maker sure the end of the intro spins it back to the question. A good intro I did that has all that is this I.e.

Is the P.M effectively a President? Presidentialism is the tendency for political leaders to increasingly act as a personalised force, much like an American President. This is significant as there are fundamental constitutional differences between a Prime Minister and a President. Unlike a President the Prime Minister draws his authority from Parliament and is the Head of Government rather than the Head of State. In contrast, a President draws his authority independently from the legislature and is the Head of State. These differences mean that while the President is suppose to act as an individual, the Prime Minister is simply “First Among Equals” as outlined in the model of Cabinet Government. In theory the Prime Minister should not be able to marginalise his Ministers into a “soundboard cabinet” and act as an individual presidential-style leader. However there has been a clear trend in presidentialism which has been epitomised by the likes of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair. Given that this contradicts the principles of the British Parliamentary system, it is important to evaluate to what extent the role of Prime Minister has become Presidential.

For your main paragraphs, an easy rule to stop yourself from waffling is to make sure your first 4 lines are a Point, Evidence, Explanation and Counter point. After than you can waffle has much as you like because you've scored the mark. Lastly, QUOTE the question at the end of the paragraph, it makes the reader aware that you are trying to answer the question directly. I plan out my paragraphs for each topic like this:

Point: The Prime Minister receives a variety of formal Prerogative powers delegated from the monarch. This makes him/her effectively the Head of State, much like a President.
Evidence: Thatcher used her prerogative powers to declare war on the Falklands(1982) as did Blair against Iraq and Afghanistan

So yeah its really just about getting the mark scoring points/examples across and THEN waffling a little bit because that helps you get AO3 marks
Does anyone have a Power Authority and Legitimacy (PAL) essay????
Reply 12
from personal experience, make sure to learn most if not all of the key terms, not knowing them can really mess up your answer
Reply 13
Can someone help with this short course work question?

The introduction of a written constitution into the United Kingdom would be relatively straightforward legislative task; the Executive would initiate, the Legislature would entrench, and the courts would enforce and protect. Discuss.

Quick Reply

Latest