The Student Room Group

Gcse predictions good enough for investment banking?

Hello i have received my gcse predictions and i have tried hard this year , too hard to say the least . I am hoping to be a investment banker if i get my correct grades for my a levels and following it up to uni..
Anyway these are my predictions i feel they are not strong enough simply because of science.
Btec science : Distinction
Maths : A
English language : C
English literature : B
R.e : A
I.t : Merit
Food technology : B
Computing ( Already done ) : B
Business studies ( already done ) : C
This thread makes me so sad.
Their perfect
Reply 3
You could get into investment banking from any background and anywhere if you know how to network properly but...

If we're talking about the formal recruiting process the C in English language will hinder you quite badly. This is due to a disadvantage in your choice of top universities as many of the ones sought after by banks will not accept that.
Original post by amahmoud0129
Hello i have received my gcse predictions and i have tried hard this year , too hard to say the least . I am hoping to be a investment banker if i get my correct grades for my a levels and following it up to uni..
Anyway these are my predictions i feel they are not strong enough simply because of science.
Btec science : Distinction
Maths : A
English language : C
English literature : B
R.e : A
I.t : Merit
Food technology : B
Computing ( Already done ) : B
Business studies ( already done ) : C

To get into a good uni youd have to work quite hard and try and bring up your english grades as much as possible.

It depends in which bank you want to work. The top ones such as Goldman Sachs will probably hire the majority of their bankers straight out of places like oxbridge, but less prestigious banks would hire a wider range of people. Good luck getting the grades you need :smile:
Original post by Norfolkadam
This thread makes me so sad.

Great to hear that.
Focus on maths and computer science, become decently good and you should have a decent chance of algorithmic trading. A lot of other forms of investment banking are dying or dead because computers have become better at investing than humans in most short-term investments. Make sure you know what within investment banking you want to do and why (if it's just "money lol" give up now), and work really hard to make sure you get better GCSEs than those (if you work hard and can't do better than that at GCSE, you won't do well enough at A Level and more education simply won't be for you). For when you pick A Levels, economics is more suited to the job than business studies, the latter being a bit of a joke, but both are kind of boring IMO. I can't remember which one's which out of IT and computing but you want something that's closer to computer science. Do maths AND further maths, and ideally focus on decision maths and statistics as opposed to mechanics.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Focus on maths and computer science, become decently good and you should have a decent chance of algorithmic trading. A lot of other forms of investment banking are dying or dead because computers have become better at investing than humans in most short-term investments. Make sure you know what within investment banking you want to do and why (if it's just "money lol" give up now), and work really hard to make sure you get better GCSEs than those (if you work hard and can't do better than that at GCSE, you won't do well enough at A Level and more education simply won't be for you). For when you pick A Levels, economics is more suited to the job than business studies, the latter being a bit of a joke, but both are kind of boring IMO. I can't remember which one's which out of IT and computing but you want something that's closer to computer science. Do maths AND further maths, and ideally focus on decision maths and statistics as opposed to mechanics.

Thanks for response.
Unfortunately thats the best i can see myself getting ive came from bottom grade sets and pushed myself as i much as i can , i have already done my english language exam i am hoping for a B.As for a level lol i know how the incredibly big the jump is i have a tutor for my maths and i will start revising a few weeks before college starts. Hopefully everything goes to plan. I have picked Maths economics R.e and business studies or accountancy i am deciding between them two.
If you get the chance (I know we could switch up until the end of the first two weeks of AS), don't do RE, business studies or accountancy; do further maths and/or something sciency instead if you're certain you want to be an investment banker. If you're not certain, don't, because frankly it's not all that likely and enjoying yourself during your A Levels is important.

Quick Reply

Latest