The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths a level?

I am predicted 8 in math and phys and plan on doing either PPE, Econ or Politics + Econ at LSE then doing investment banking. but I don't think I enjoy maths enough to do further. what should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Terena27
I am predicted 8 in math and phys and plan on doing either PPE, Econ or Politics + Econ at LSE then doing investment banking. but I don't think I enjoy maths enough to do further. what should I do?

Unless you have a passion for maths AND are predicted a 9, I would avoid FM. Also you don’t need it unless you are applying for straight Econ at LSE.
I used to like maths a lot (enough to be training to be in the national maths team) but then did FM at a-level, it's just very hard and a lot of work and its 50% of my timetable... Now I'm applying for dentistry
Don't do it
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
Unless you have a passion for maths AND are predicted a 9, I would avoid FM. Also you don’t need it unless you are applying for straight Econ at LSE.

in my school they don't give you predicted grade 9 until you've done at least 2 mocks so I wouldn't know necessarily if I'm at that level. p.s. abt Econ @LSE, I'm worried that if I change my mind and want to do it I will end up disappointed that I didn't take FM
Reply 4
Original post by Terena27
in my school they don't give you predicted grade 9 until you've done at least 2 mocks so I wouldn't know necessarily if I'm at that level. p.s. abt Econ @LSE, I'm worried that if I change my mind and want to do it I will end up disappointed that I didn't take FM

LSE economics is one of the most competitive courses in the country, with an endless list of students with perfect grades and good PS getting rejected every year. I don’t think it is worth doing FM just in case you change your mind and want to do one course at one particular uni, but of course that is just my opinion.
If you're doing straight economics then you should definitely have it. If it's politics + economics or ppe then no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending